Longest Travel Trailer to Tow with WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Longest Travel Trailer to Tow with WK

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Tuco
2007 WK 

Longest Travel Trailer to Tow with WK

We have a 2007 WK CRD and want to get a travel trailer. We dont have a problem with weight, but want some advice as far as max length is concerned.

The manual states 30' as a maximum length. This seems kind of long considering the short wheel base Jeep.

The trailers we like are about 26-27' total length (tongue to rear bumper). With dry weight of around 4500lbs, so figure no more than 6000lbs loaded. Tongue weight is about 350lbs.

We are new to towing so we dont want to rely only on manual specs. Looking for feedback from those who have towed travel trailers of similar size with a WK. Particularly interested in experience with trailers that are 24 plus feet long.

Unread 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I think they get that 30' max length rating from the Class IV standard that this jeep meets. There is also a standard for max frontal area, max tongue weight, etc.

based on my experience towing boats - the real issue is not as much the length of the tow vehicle as it is the axles on the trailer. The CRD should be OK pulling a 30' if it's balanced correctly and running on at least 2 axles.

Considering where you want to drive with it is important. Since I plan on going to some places where the navigation might be a little tight (state parks, mountain areas, rural roads, etc.) I'm thinking a 27' is about right - big enough for comfort, short enough to maneuver.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

I would stick to the 25 ft range. Your tongue weight is normally about 15% of travel trailer weight. So your 350 lbs would be much higher than you are thinking. Something to keep in mind.
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Tuco
2007 WK 

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right about the tongue weight being higher than 350. But 15% with a tandem axle trailer seems too high for heavier trailers. For example, if the loaded trailer is 6000lb, 900lb tongue weight seems too high. Did you mean 5%?
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Drewd

My trailer is 28' 7" long and it tows it with no problem with an aftermarket tune pushing a lot of torque. I towed it last year at 80mph on straightaways but just found out that the tires are only rated for 65mph. I guess I'll slow down this year to 65mph.

If you are concerned, get a top of the line hitch. I got cheap and use an Equalizer hitch which has done a super job in eliminating sway on my rig but if $$$ is no object consider a Propride hitch or a Hensley.

I'm also going to puchase some airbags for my rear suspension to help level the ride a little better. Even with the WD hitch, my rear end sags about 1/2 inch more than my front. I want it to be perfect.

PS My last trailer was 25' long but 14 years old and my new trailer tows so much better.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think you are right about the tongue weight being higher than 350. But 15% with a tandem axle trailer seems too high for heavier trailers. For example, if the loaded trailer is 6000lb, 900lb tongue weight seems too high. Did you mean 5%?
No, 15% as a general rule. If the tongue weight is to light the trailer will sway. Check out a few rv forums. Be cautioned though, most of them think you need a 1 ton truck to tow a 2k lb trailer. Here is a link with some good info.

http://www.hitchingup.com/tongue-weight.htm
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Tuco
2007 WK 

Thanks for the help. I will read up on proper loading and hitch use. Sounds like the trailers we are looking at will be fine to tow with our CRD. We will post some pictures once we get set up. Hoping that we wont need to install air bags, I guess we will know once we set it up and tow for a bit. Looking to get a GDE tune.

How about trailer mirrors? Any suggestions on brand. We want something that will work well but be easy to install/remove. I think I saw a thread on this earlier and will do a search.
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Here's what we tow with our 2008 CRD. It's 23 feet long with a GVWR of 6,100 lbs or somewhere close to that. Even with 2 full propane tanks on the front, the Jeep's rear end hardly even sags and it's almost not worth connecting the spring bars for weight distribution. the fresh water tank is right over the axles so that reduces the tongue weight as it seems like the fresh water is usually closer to the front.

I haven't had any problem with trailer sway just using a simple friction bar for sway control.

NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
esfitz79

1986 CJ7 

We have been looking at trailers in the similar weight range, I know my 4.7 says 6,500 tow rating, but I am now lifted, with larger tires. and the thought of Parleys canyon in Utah makes me nervous. Anyone towed like this with the 4.7?
esfitz79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Keep in mind that the larger tires will effectively lower the axle ratio and reduce your towing capacity. How much it will go down is the big question.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
esfitz79

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
Keep in mind that the larger tires will effectively lower the axle ratio and reduce your towing capacity. How much it will go down is the big question.
Yeah, that is what I was referring to. I wanted to stay around 4000-5000 lbs, just to ease gas mileage a bit. But that may now be the Max! i wonder if they will let me "test tow" a trailer, lol.
esfitz79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Tuco
2007 WK 

Hey Bison,

How do you like the Trail-Sport? We are looking at the Trail Sport made in 2009 just when Navistar took over the company. The one we are looking at is 26' and has a small slide out and 2 doors. The UVW is 4002 lbs, GVW about 6Klbs.

What mirrors are you using?

Thanks in case you can provide some info.
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Hey Tuco. Here is a shot of us towing our 16 footer in one of those tight place that I was telling you about. The trees closed us in like a tunnel on this Jeep trail. Trail was not too bumpy. What you cannot tell in the picture is that this is about a 8 percent grade and we are on the way down. Going up, the trail dead ended and we had to turn around at a tiny wide spot and I do mean tiny. We had the tail end of the trailer hanging off a steep slope and the front of the Jeep climbing a shallow bank on the other side, but we managed it.

Mirrors.... I don't use any. I used the stock WK mirrors. BUT my trailer is only 7'2" wide so I can see past it OK. That is a 12' folding boat (Port-a-Boat) strapped on the top of the Jeep.
dsc_7880.jpg  
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Here is a nice link that tells you how to measure tongue weight using a bathroom scale.
It is nice to measure your TW after you have the trailer fully loaded. It is easy to do but takes a little preparation and a bathroom scale that goes up to about 200 lbs.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-d...ue-weight.aspx

I discovered that my TW is very light, about 225 lbs and if I am not careful how I load out, it can get dangerously low. Nix on carrying a motor bike on the back bumper. I can't do it.
I even have to be careful about carrying cans of fuel back there.
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Chirpz

2007 WK 

We sometimes take "the road less traveled." Not much traffic here.
dsc_6115x.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.