Long start issues after engine rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Long start issues after engine rebuild

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
rizzmonkey

Long start issues after engine rebuild

Hey All,

I purchased a 2005 GC limited about 6 months ago. 3 months after, it blew a head gasket. Thus far we have completely replaced the heads and all components, injectors, timing chain guides, and EGR valve.

Since the car came back from the mechanic it now has long start issue. It will crank over for 3-5 seconds before it starts. This never happened one time before the repair. The mechanic said to get the ECU reflashed because he thought it may have been messed up since it was un-plugged from a power source for over a week. This doesn't make much sense to me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

rizzmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Try this, disco the negative terminal from the battery and then step on the brake pedal to "bleed" out any residual electrical energy out of the system, then let it sit for a few minutes for good measure. Then reconnect the battery and turn the engine on (should take longer to crank) and once it's started, let it idle for a few minutes. Then, without turning the engine off, hop in and drive a few miles, stop and go, a little bit of highway speeds if you can, etc. this is to give it a chance to relearn everything. Hopefully this cures the issue.
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Sounds like the timing may be off.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
rizzmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
Sounds like the timing may be off.
Is it electronically timed? It runs excellent once it gets going...
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Im not sure..., did they remove the timing chain when they did the work? could it be re-installed one tooth off by accident? I have never worked on a chained car but have seen belts off by one tooth. Typically resulting in slow start and lack of power.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
rizzmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
Im not sure..., did they remove the timing chain when they did the work? could it be re-installed one tooth off by accident? I have never worked on a chained car but have seen belts off by one tooth. Typically resulting in slow start and lack of power.
No it would be way off if they did that. Like i said it runs excellent ones it's running.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
oldfamilyguy

Check the fuel line connections. It may be leaking pressure and needs a few seconds priming to get it back up again.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

another thing you can try is to prime the pump a couple times to build presssure and to see if the pump or as stated above a loose connection is bleeding the pressure down. turn the key to the on position but don't start it then turn the key all the way to off , wait 1 sec and then back to on and try to start as normal .if it's bleeding back quickly you may have to go to on-off a few times .
good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
manhands
2007 XK Commander 

My hemi commander doing same thing after installing junk yard engine . cant figure it out either . not happening all the time just when park and hop back n and fire it up after short time .
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
R32R1
2006 WK 

Fuel pump might be tired
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
rizzmonkey

Just wanted to revisit this after some time as I still have this problem.
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Does it do this every time you start it, or just the first time after sitting a while? Did you ever check the fuel pressure? If it is good, it could be a leaky injector that's bleeding off pressure when it sits.If this is the case, you can do like yzjwk said in Post 8. I'd do the key on-off thing a few times though, before trying to start it.

Also, when it finally does start, is it a little rough right at first....and then smooth out?
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
rizzmonkey

It usually only does it after it's been sitting for a while. And yes, it does sputter a bit when i finally goes. Weird is that when the top end was redone, the mechanic has the fuel injectors sent to some other vendor that cleans them and inspects them.

I will go try the key off key on test to see if that helps. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Does it do this every time you start it, or just the first time after sitting a while? Did you ever check the fuel pressure? If it is good, it could be a leaky injector that's bleeding off pressure when it sits.If this is the case, you can do like yzjwk said in Post 8. I'd do the key on-off thing a few times though, before trying to start it.

Also, when it finally does start, is it a little rough right at first....and then smooth out?
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

No DTC's?

Per the Service manual for 5.7L no start condition:
1. weak battery
2. corroded or loose battery connection
3. faulty starter
4. incorrect spart plug gap
5. dirt or water in fuel system
6. faulty fuel pump, relay or wiring

Engine stalls or rough idle:
1. idle speed set to low
2. vacuum leak
3. incorrect timing

Nothing specifically for a long start issue. I'm sure you can rule out most of those, but may be able to find a direction to solve the problem.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
rizzmonkey

Thanks for your response!

I do have a check light that comes and goes and just pulled it. It is P0404 which has to do with the EGR. This is most frustrating since the EGR valve was replaced about 10 months ago. Also I commented on each of your ideas below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedlizard72 View Post
No DTC's?

Per the Service manual for 5.7L no start condition:
1. weak battery (just replaced)
2. corroded or loose battery connection (100% clean)
3. faulty starter (cranks over strong every time, would assume that means OK right?)
4. incorrect spark plug gap (possible but wouldn't this cause it to run poor once running?)
5. dirt or water in fuel system (possible but would i've been dealing with this for 10 months)
6. faulty fuel pump, relay or wiring (probably most likely except we never had this problem until the heads were replaced. Grr!!!)

Engine stalls or rough idle:
1. idle speed set to low
2. vacuum leak
3. incorrect timing

Nothing specifically for a long start issue. I'm sure you can rule out most of those, but may be able to find a direction to solve the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.