Load E Duratrac tires on WK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Load E Duratrac tires on WK?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
batkinson
2006 WK 

Load E Duratrac tires on WK?

I have a 2006 WK Hemi. The stock tires are P245/65R17 on stock Ronin II wheels (6" backspacing)

I have 2007 Wrangler Moab wheels (17" 6.25" offset) ready to mount. I want larger aggressive A/T tire like a Goodyear Duratrac.

The max width and height tire size (no lift) is 255/70R17 but no one makes one with an aggressive tread this size except General Grabber 2. So I started looking at LT245/70R17 Duratracs. However, they are Load E. The Duratracs are pretty light weight in this category but still weigh in at 46lbs.

QUESTIONS:
What air pressure would be best for on-road driving?

Is running 90lb max tires at 35lbs going to cause any issues for tire longevity?

How is a Duratrac LT245/70R17 going to drive on a "light" WK?

Are seams, bumps, pot holes in the road going to be annoingly harse at low, med or high speed?

The salesman says I won't like the E load tires. He recommended the equally expensive Goodyear Adventurer w/Kevlar in P255/70 but they look kind of "city" to me that will pack mud like a highway tire.

Opinions please.

batkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

An E load range tire will be way too harsh. That is simply too much tire for the WK.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
jjt250
2007 WK 

If you set your tire pressure properly, they will ride fine. I usually run 35 psi in mine and they ride fine and have been wearing well. I love them.
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
If you set your tire pressure properly, they will ride fine. I usually run 35 psi in mine and they ride fine and have been wearing well. I love them.
By properly do you mean under inflated?

I'm just curious. You say yours are wearing well. Are you running E load Duratracs? What does the sidewall say to run pressure wise?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

If you do a search on the web you will find an article by Bridgstone/Firestone (tire replacement) and it has charts you can use to figure out how much pressure you need in LT tires used on vehicles originally equipped with P rated tires. I looked into this and to get the same load capacity you'd need about 45 psi or so. LT rated tires need higher inflation because of their heavier construction vs P rated tires. Another option in 245/70-17 is the General Grabber AT2, in that size it is P rated so it won't ride harsh and you could use normal air pressures.

You might not believe it but an LT tire inflated to the same psi for P rated tires will be under inflated and can run hot at highway speeds in hot weather. This comes directly from tire companies, unfortunately tire dealers usually are unaware of this. Do some searching around and you will see what the tire companies say about this. My old ZJ has LT 'C' rated tires and for the load needed I used that chart and use 41 psi instead of the standard 36.
In sizes that will fit the WK most LT tires are 'E' rated which is for much heavier vehicles than a WK.
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
If you do a search on the web you will find an article by Bridgstone/Firestone (tire replacement) and it has charts you can use to figure out how much pressure you need in LT tires used on vehicles originally equipped with P rated tires. I looked into this and to get the same load capacity you'd need about 45 psi or so. LT rated tires need higher inflation because of their heavier construction vs P rated tires. Another option in 245/70-17 is the General Grabber AT2, in that size it is P rated so it won't ride harsh and you could use normal air pressures.
My tires are an LT C load and I run 44-45 psi dd'ing. Sidewall calls for 45psi max cold.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
By properly do you mean under inflated?

I'm just curious. You say yours are wearing well. Are you running E load Duratracs? What does the sidewall say to run pressure wise?
I have E load range Duratracs in the same size the OP is wondering about. They say MAX 80 psi on the sidewall. You do not need to run them at their max capacity. In fact, most guys that have these tires in E load on trucks don't even run them at their max psi unless they're towing or hauling.
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
TangoTango
2008 WK 

ALL my offroad and on-road vehicles have "e" tires on them.

It's a weight factor rating.

They do ride stiffer, but if you are off-roading they save on blowing the seal's off the tires. On the road they are a stiffer ride like you turned your shocks up.

The side wall on an "e" is way stonger. EVERYTIME that I have broken tires offroad has been from sidewall ripes and holes, and that has been with less than "e" tires.

You would run a 90lb max tire at what ever preasure makes it run a FLAT angle on the road for your vehicle. probably around 65lbs is a good start.

Off road you might air down if running sharp rocks or really soft sand, but usually it's not really needed.

on the WK I'm running the hercules trail digger mt's ... you may want to look at those?

there is a review here
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...ger-tire-test/
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

Here is the document from Bridgestone/Firestone, it lists all kinds of sizes and how much pressure you have to run if you go with LT tires...just look through to what size you are using and compare to the OE size at OE pressure....

http://www.tiresafety.com/images/Tir...t%20Manual.pdf
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango
ALL my offroad and on-road vehicles have "e" tires on them. It's a weight factor rating. They do ride stiffer, but if you are off-roading they save on blowing the seal's off the tires. On the road they are a stiffer ride like you turned your shocks up. The side wall on an "e" is way stonger. EVERYTIME that I have broken tires offroad has been from sidewall ripes and holes, and that has been with less than "e" tires. You would run a 90lb max tire at what ever preasure makes it run a FLAT angle on the road for your vehicle. probably around 65lbs is a good start. Off road you might air down if running sharp rocks or really soft sand, but usually it's not really needed. on the WK I'm running the hercules trail digger mt's ... you may want to look at those? there is a review here http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...ger-tire-test/
Good point and the ride might be rougher but I'd rather not have a flat.
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
JRLT
2010 WK 

Nitto Terra Grapplers have an "E" rating. Great tires too, on my 2nd set.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
WKFish
2005 WK 

If you have the money and time do a 2-3" lift and throw 265/70/17 duratracs on her I am in love with mine. Snow performance is amazing rain amazing mud amazing!!! Best all around tire in my book if you ask me! I went with the 6 ply walls instead of 10 figured it wasn't needed for the 10 in Michigan no sharp objects on the trails.
image-3415518542.jpg

Unread 01-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #13
chevra
2008 WK 

I run the 245/70/17 duratracs. I went from the stock Fortera tires and really didnt notice a huge difference. They are a bit stiffer but the only time I have noticed it so far is when it is -25 celsius or colder, then it is rougher for sure. During the summer the ride was pretty similar to stock. They seem to be wearing evenly so far and I just run the recommended pressure that it says on the door. The only complaint I have with these tires are they are noisy in town at lower speeds, on the highway they dont make anymore noise then the stock tires. I am very impressed with how well they handle in the snow, havent had a chance to test them in the mud yet.
chevra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
gemiller
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
An E load range tire will be way too harsh. That is simply too much tire for the WK.
I completely disagree with this, especially for the CRD. I'm not running E's and I think it was the dumbest decision I made for my CRD. It's floaty, sidewall flex is horrible at 40psi, and tire wear is faster than i'm happy with. My buddy running a CRD on E load has none of the issues I'm seeing on my tire set.
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

People think D and E rated tires are harsh generally because they over inflate them thinking they need to run max pressure.

As previously posted you need to run them at the "correct" pressure.

Using the TRA inflation tables, pretty much any 265-285 wide E rated tire @35-40 psi will exceed the load capacity of our stock tires (Only the 245s needed over 40). Anything over 45 generally exceeds our max axle load rating (ie you'll bend the axle before overloading the tire)

Edit: again that was "general" terms. It's not hard to figure out so id encourage members to figure it out for their specific size they want to run

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.