Limp Mode / No Codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Limp Mode / No Codes

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
junepath
2008 WK 

Limp Mode / No Codes

Shortly after I bought my 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo, the check engine light came on. I took it to Advance and they said it was an 02 sensor. Within about an hour I was headed out to see a friend, and the Jeep went into limp mode on the way over. On the way home it was fine. I left it sit for the rest of the weekend, and took it right back to the dealer Monday morning (I had just bought it July 3rd, the last day they were open before the holiday weekend.) They replaced the O2 sensor, which got the check engine light to go off, but said that the Jeep still had no power. The dealer I bought it from was GMC/Chevy, so they weren't super familiar with Jeep, but were pretty confident that it was the catalytic converter, and drove it out to the Jeep dealership on the other side of town, and covered all the fees associated with getting it fixed.

I get it back a few days later, it was running great, no engine light, all is well.

Then I got the entire family into the car on this past Tuesday (3 days after getting it back) and it went right back into limp mode. No check engine light. I turned it off at the first stop sign I came to, restarted, and didn't have any more problems on the way to dropping it back off at the Jeep dealer.

In the meantime we called the GMC dealer who arranged for us to drop it off at the Jeep dealership, and at this time we find out that the Jeep dealer never actually replaced the catalytic converter, they replaced a shift switch of some sort instead.

The Jeep dealer just called and said that they ran diagnostics on it, and couldn't find any fault codes. They drove it about 150 miles and it didn't go into limp mode again.

So I guess my question is, why did it do it just that one time, and not again, with no error codes coming back? Is it some weird residual thing after being repaired?

I JUST bought this car, and the dealership I got it from has been bending over backwards trying to get it resolved, even if it means sending it to a competitor (and paying) to get it fixed. But I still feel stupid, like maybe I should have just stuck with my little Focus instead of splurging on a 4x4 vehicle.

junepath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
junepath
2008 WK 

I've read a lot about it possibly being speed sensors, would these always throw a code, which would indicate they need replaced? It looks like the sensors themselves aren't particularly expensive and everyone says they are easy to replace. I'm just irritated that countless internet posters seem familiar with this problem and have solved it reasonably quickly by swapping out a simple speed sensor, and the dealership won't even try doing something like that as a "well maybe this is it, let's try it." sort of scenario.
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
junepath
2008 WK 

Another thing that MIGHT make a difference: When this happened I had just set the cruise control but got stuck behind someone who wasn't interested in doing at least the minimum speed limit and slowed down, but never actually turned the cruise control off. Any chance something like this could cause limp mode?
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Doubt cruise did it. No other signs?

Electronic throttle light come on? It's the red lightning bolt.

Also, what engine and trans? I assume 3.7?
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
junepath
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniebravo View Post
Doubt cruise did it. No other signs?

Electronic throttle light come on? It's the red lightning bolt.

Also, what engine and trans? I assume 3.7?
I don't feel like there were any signs necessarily, it did feel a little sluggy when we first got in and rolling, but didn't feel "limp" until I'd shut it off, stopped for a few minutes, started back up, and traveled about 10 miles at 45-55MPH. I slowed down at a stop light, went to turn right, and when I went to accelerate after the turn, there was just no power at all. Went another mile or two, shut it off, restarted, and all was well until I dropped it off at the dealer.

No lights or anything, and I haven't had an CEL since they replaced the o2 sensor. Engine is 3.7L V6, I'm not entirely certain what the transmission is, but the VIN check says: 5-Speed Auto W5A580 Transmission. (All of the documentation is in the Jeep, which is still at the Jeep dealer until my dad comes to get me to pick it up later)
Unread 07-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
junepath
2008 WK 

Just picked the car up at the dealership, they still maintain that they can't find the cause. Is there any chance that it could be something simple like low/dirty transmission fluid?
Unread 07-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Was the cat ever replaced? Without something to go on its a difficult problem to solve.

Check to see if you're getting the same exhaust flow when its running properly and when its in limp mode.

Also, has all the maintenance been done? Fuel filter?

Check the plugs, make sure they are in working condition and have proper gaps.
Unread 07-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
junepath
2008 WK 

The Jeep dealer concluded that the catalytic converter did not need changed, despite the GMC dealer where I bought it being pretty sure that was the problem. I'm not particularly confident in the Jeep Dealer, and may have to suck it up and pay to take it to a real garage, despite it being under warranty for another 2 weeks from the place I bought it from.

And no, all they did was check for codes, and replace a shift switch (that's what he called it) and drove it around a whole bunch. I was thinking of talking to the selling dealership and ask them if they could change the filters and fluids there, just to see if it could possibly be part of the problem. If it continues happening, order/replace speed sensors?
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Bmoor2323

I had the same exact problem that your having. Had my transmission fluid change with NAPA brand oil. Bad idea... My tranny is the Nag 1 and needed dealership brand ATF fluid. Screwed everything up for me. Weeks later code came up for speed sensors. Had the speed sensors and conductor plate in the transmission replaced, inside the valve body. Along with new harness, fresh oil, clean pan and new filter.. $880 later. Everything works now thank god. Dealership wanted $1100 or something crazy. Got it done at a transmission place (AMMACO)

Last edited by Bmoor2323; 07-17-2015 at 11:02 PM..
Bmoor2323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #10
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoor2323 View Post
I had the same exact problem that your having. Had my transmission fluid change with NAPA brand oil. Bad idea... My tranny is the Nag 1 and needed dealership brand ATF fluid. Screwed everything up for me. Weeks later code came up for speed sensors. Had the speed sensors and conductor plate in the transmission replaced, inside the valve body. Along with new harness, fresh oil, clean pan and new filter.. $880 later. Everything works now thank god. Dealership wanted $1100 or something crazy. Got it done at a transmission place (AMMACO)
Very well could be the problem.

Junepath, back to maintenance. What has been done recently? Did the GMC dealer do any of it?
Unread 07-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #11
junepath
2008 WK 

Advance Auto diagnosed bad O2 sensor. GMC dealer confirmed and replaced it. That turned off the CEL light but didn't fix the limp, and at that point they sent it down to the Jeep dealer on the other side of town. GMC felt confident the catalytic converter was bad, and because it was covered by Jeep warranty (car only has 60K miles) it needed to go to a Jeep dealer.

Jeep dealer did NOT replace catalytic converter, but the guy said he replaced a "shift switch" and that was it. The second time I took it in, nothing was done but reading the codes and driving it about 150 miles. They were unable to replicate the problem, and no codes were stored in the computer.
Unread 07-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
junepath
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoor2323 View Post
See I don't know who owned the car before me, for all I know they did that exact same thing. The GMC dealer still has it under warranty for another couple weeks, so I'm sort of hoping that if it DOES need to go to AAMCO, they will help me out with the price. I certainly didn't set out to buy a Jeep with a messed up transmission.
Unread 07-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
Bmoor2323

Hopefully it happens again. I just bought my truck a month ago and had it happend to me. Very upset. Luckily I got it from a auction at a cheap price..
Bmoor2323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
junepath
2008 WK 

Well I'm of the mind that I'd rather it NEVER happen again.

Another thing that's likely unrelated, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong: The tire pressure light is on, but all four tires show the proper PSI when we check them out.
Unread 07-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
Pipin
2008 WK 

I also own a Grand Cherokee 2008/diesel/laredo and just recently finished my limp mode experience. I'll share with you what I learnt. Yes like you and everyone wk that goes into limp mode simply pull over and turn off , restart the wk. unless the problem is severe your wk will drive normal again. In my case it took me 6 months at least to figure out the problem. Mainly it took so long like to figure it out becouse it doesn't happen often and as you wait for it to happen again, well you'll probably forget all about it. Until the problem gets worse. Whats the problem? Well in my scenario the transmission which has a module inside it that reads the input speed and also one that reads the output speed was slowly(very slowly) (6 month slowly) malfunctioning thus periodically triggering "limp mode" In the end eventually the vehicle was no longer able to be disengaged from LM. When this happened the output sensor was dead.
(by the way I'm pretty sure the 2008 wk does not have a shift switch so if they said they replaced that, hmmm???)
My research on the interweb also concluded that this is a very common problem, so when the dealership replaced the speed control module located inside the transmission and replaced the transmission filter and fluid(don't be cheap replace the filter at least but good to do fluid also) Ol betsy was purring fine, Yay. For a cost of 1,600.00
I don't remember for sure but I don't remember if the cel light ever turned during the process.
Anyway hope this helps out.. P.S. I recently received a letter from dealer stating there is a new update for my 2008 wk compuetr for ...? not sure
Pipin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.