Limited slip differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Limited slip differential

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

Limited slip differential

I have a 2007 Limited GC CRD. With the CRD package, the rear axle is automatically upgraded to the 226 mm dana/44 rear axle. On the sticker it does not say limited slip differential (LSD), so is that an option that I didn't get or are none of the 4X2's made with LSD this year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CRD Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

Someone has to know some info on this?
Unread 09-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
flyrx
2007 WK 

I didn't find anything on wkjeeps or jeep.com that suggested that the 4x2 WK Limited has a LSD as either standard or option.

Last edited by flyrx; 09-05-2007 at 05:08 PM..
flyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
Can’t find any limited slip info on that axle but I would say it would have traction control controlled by the abs if that helps. I will have to check my training manual.
We don’t have 4x2.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
zjkid
1997 ZJ 

you should have blsd (brake limited slip differential)
Unread 09-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

I talked to Chrysler, and after giving them all my information except bloodtype, I was told by a cust rep that no, it didn't appear that the limited slip diff was an option on my GC.

I looked on Jeep.com and limited slip diff is not an option to choose, so I think that either one of two conditions exist, 1 - it is included on all CRDs or 2 - it is not an option for the 4X2 GC CRD for the 2007 models.
Unread 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Tuco
2007 WK 

A limited slip rear wheel drive (4 x 2) will be quite squirrely on the snow or ice packed roads, so they may have opted to leave it off for saftey reasons. However, maybe the electronic controlled limited slip rear 2wd handles better than an ordinary limited slip?
Unread 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
A limited slip rear wheel drive (4 x 2) will be quite squirrely on the snow or ice packed roads, so they may have opted to leave it off for saftey reasons. However, maybe the electronic controlled limited slip rear 2wd handles better than an ordinary limited slip?
You get better control with "traction control" on road so that is probably why it uses the brakes to control it instead of a LSD.

You can always just throw a locker in it, the WK's have a standard 44.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

Consider these two scenarios: 1 Ė you are pulling a 5000 lbs loaded trailer and you pull off the road, one tire on wet grass or soft mud, the other on pavement, without limited slip, you may be stuck; 2 Ė you are pulling a 4000 lbs boat out of a steep boat ramp that is wet, without limited slip, one tire starts spinning and you struggle to get the boat off the ramp.

I donít drive in ice or snow, so canít comment there, but the above two scenarios would apply to me and limited slip WOULD help in those situations. It seems stange to me for Jeep to not offer LSD as an option.

FWIW, We have an 03 Envoy 4X2 with limited slip diff.Ö..same application.
Unread 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
merlinTec

Hi
Well in both scenarios your traction control would kick in and stop the wheel from spinning. But in scenario 2 I would advice a 4x4 as you may need the front wheels to pull you out, even limited slip wouldn’t help you if both rear wheels where spinning.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

I guess I don't understand the traction control, in the first scenerio would the brakes stop the wheel from spinning, but let the other wheel provide power to move the vehicle?

And I have had two Gm trucks, both four wheel drive, but used in 2wd only, and a GMC Envoy pull a boat out of a ramp that would not have been possible without LSD.

Merlin, in some situations, yes 4wd would be needed, but it appears to me there are situations where a LSD would help greatly for 4X2 GC's.

Thanks for everyones reply, this forum is great!!
Unread 09-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner
I guess I don't understand the traction control, in the first scenerio would the brakes stop the wheel from spinning, but let the other wheel provide power to move the vehicle?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner
And I have had two Gm trucks, both four wheel drive, but used in 2wd only, and a GMC Envoy pull a boat out of a ramp that would not have been possible without LSD.

Merlin, in some situations, yes 4wd would be needed, but it appears to me there are situations where a LSD would help greatly for 4X2 GC's.

Thanks for everyones reply, this forum is great!!
Traction control is better then LSD in situation when you want traction.
Unread 09-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
054.7JGC
2010 WK 

hemi

hi all

in response to the vari lok differential with the diesel two wheel drive limited grand cherokee-it may be like what i found out with my hemi grand cherokee limited 2007 4 x 2.

my '07 JGC LIMITED HEMI 4 X 2 is the same way-it is not an option. i have the all speed traction control called BAS. and i also have the electronic stability program called ESP. it is apparent that these systems counter the inertial affects of the torque going to the rear wheels quite well. believe me i have tested these systems! they work just like they should-and you know what-i like it better than just a straight vari lok differential-bless the micropocessor. i have had no problems
in wet weather with the systems on.

i love that we can turn the system off with the off button if i just wanted to show off a little.

i have had locking differentials that get crazy in the rain without trying and my hemi jgc just keeps it straight and true.

of course, with a vari lok AND the ESP and the BAS it might be very cool.

there is a reason our 4x2's do not have them.

i personally thought i was getting jipped but after driving my jeep it is actually better than a locking differential in my opinion.

pwm
054.7JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #14
coyote runner

info,...My wifes BMW 3 series has the esp and it is only a 4X2 and I'll tell ya what,..in unplowed snow covered roads, that thing would have more control and capability than my lifted Wrangler w/33"s.

Cant wait to see what our 5.7 ESP HEMI does this winter!!
coyote runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.