So Finally on the Forum. To introduce myself I am Omelet's little brother (hence the name) and I have owned my WK for about six months. I used to own a 2000 XJ, but found a really good deal on this one so I sold it and finally picked up my dream machine! It already had a 2" rough country lift and some Nitto terra grapplers with some gear wheels on it... not quite my taste... let the fun begin!http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/2thumbup.gif
First thing I did was get rid of the Terra Grapplers and upgraded to the Trail Grapplers... then I needed some new wheels to put them on so I got a good deal on some charcoal Rubicon wheels and had some fun with them.
I started off by taping them off the way I wanted them... which took forever, gave them a good sand down with 150 grit sand paper, and cleaned them off really good with some rubbing alcohol.
Next I went through and taped up the back side and then primed them with some rust-oleum primer.
The next step was to put the final paint on. I ended up using the Ace Rust Stop matte black paint. I put about 5-6 coats on, it turned out quite well.
Next I ripped all the tape off and lightly scraped all the areas where paint leaked under the tape, then sprayed the clear coat. I put about 3-4 coats on using a specific Dupli-color clear coat made for use on wheels (sold in most auto stores).
The last step was to throw on the ORT decals. I think they turned out really well and I'm extremely happy with them.
The next project to tackle was to get my turn radius back in my front wheel wells. I did so by cutting and hammering back the bead welds (which my brother helped me with). We also took a couple good whacks at the big bulge under the weld. We then went through and sanded, primed, and rubberized the surface around. It ended up not being hammered back far enough which is why you see the rub marks... I'll have to fix that sooner or later. I also went through and cut up the plastic fender inserts so that they didn't rub either.
I fairly recently went through and basically did the same thing to the metal inlay in the rear fender to be able to get my wheel to tuck without it trying to destroy my tire. I first removed the weather stripping that is on the inside when you open the door. Then I cut slits in the metal and used a mallet and pliers to bend it inside. Once that was done I sanded it and painted it allowing for a little excess to go under the weather strip. I also used a different paint as well... just some matte black Ace Rust Stop.
Since my brother had upgraded to the SL he wasn't in need of his ASFIR skid anymore, so I was more than happy to acquire it from him. I haven't really gotten to beat it up yet, but I can't wait. It installed very easily and looks good... still can't decide if I want to make it black or not though... It is now my only silver piece on the whole jeep, except for the headlights which will be changing as well.
The latest mod that I have done and am very pleased with is getting rid of all the chrome on the WK. Since it is a limited there was quite a bit and was also quite the pain in the butt!
I first went through and took off the 4 side trim pieces, front grill, and lower grille. Then I went through and sanded them all down with 150 grit sand paper and cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. I also did this to the chrome underneath all the windows and then taped those off and covered the jeep to prepare for paint. Next I went through and painted everything with 4-5 coats of the new dupli-color bed liner. Then I ripped off all the tape and plastic, re-3m taped the trim pieces, put the grille back together, and reinstalled all the pieces. I am very pleased with how it turned out and the bed liner turned out to be very tough without any adhesion problems with the chrome.
Haha, that was me! The wife and I were there for the day, I live in Spokane. I saw yours as well. You've got yourself a nice jeep, I'm actually pretty jealous. I would have loved to have the chocolate interior, but I liked the dark khaki color and it seemed like they didn't make any that came with the chocolate.
Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to getting some good info and seeing some sweet WK's.
I ended up just carefully masking it off. It would have been too much of a pain in the rear to take it off. Turned out good though, I ended up going through later and touching it up to really make sure it wasn't going to chip or peal off.