LilOmelet's (The Punisher) Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > LilOmelet's (The Punisher) Build Thread

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

LilOmelet's (The Punisher) Build Thread

So Finally on the Forum. To introduce myself I am Omelet's little brother (hence the name) and I have owned my WK for about six months. I used to own a 2000 XJ, but found a really good deal on this one so I sold it and finally picked up my dream machine! It already had a 2" rough country lift and some Nitto terra grapplers with some gear wheels on it... not quite my taste... let the fun begin!http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/2thumbup.gif

First thing I did was get rid of the Terra Grapplers and upgraded to the Trail Grapplers... then I needed some new wheels to put them on so I got a good deal on some charcoal Rubicon wheels and had some fun with them.
I started off by taping them off the way I wanted them... which took forever, gave them a good sand down with 150 grit sand paper, and cleaned them off really good with some rubbing alcohol.

Next I went through and taped up the back side and then primed them with some rust-oleum primer.

The next step was to put the final paint on. I ended up using the Ace Rust Stop matte black paint. I put about 5-6 coats on, it turned out quite well.

Next I ripped all the tape off and lightly scraped all the areas where paint leaked under the tape, then sprayed the clear coat. I put about 3-4 coats on using a specific Dupli-color clear coat made for use on wheels (sold in most auto stores).

The last step was to throw on the ORT decals. I think they turned out really well and I'm extremely happy with them.

LilOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

probably cool pictures if anyone could see them?

You need to fix the before and after image text on your post there.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Ya, still working on it
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The Punisher[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]05 WK 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Volant CAI[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]2" Rough Country[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Bilstein Struts[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]265/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ASFIR Suspension, front diff. Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar Fuel Tank, T-case Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar (Borla) Exhaust[/COLOR]
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Luck06
2006 WK 

Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing the pics! Looks like you just copied the HTML links from photobucket instead of the IMG tags.

P.S. I think Egg McMuffin would've been a better name.
- 2" RC lift, 1.5" RC Spacers, 58643 MLL's, !Pinch Weld, Spyder Bull Bar, 130w KC Daylighters, Spyder LED Tails, Taillight Guards, Silverstar ZXE's, Interior LEDs, Kenwood 6" DVD/NAV, 12" Audiobahn Sub
Luck06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Haha, that would be pretty funny.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

The next project to tackle was to get my turn radius back in my front wheel wells. I did so by cutting and hammering back the bead welds (which my brother helped me with). We also took a couple good whacks at the big bulge under the weld. We then went through and sanded, primed, and rubberized the surface around. It ended up not being hammered back far enough which is why you see the rub marks... I'll have to fix that sooner or later. I also went through and cut up the plastic fender inserts so that they didn't rub either.

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

I fairly recently went through and basically did the same thing to the metal inlay in the rear fender to be able to get my wheel to tuck without it trying to destroy my tire. I first removed the weather stripping that is on the inside when you open the door. Then I cut slits in the metal and used a mallet and pliers to bend it inside. Once that was done I sanded it and painted it allowing for a little excess to go under the weather strip. I also used a different paint as well... just some matte black Ace Rust Stop.

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Since my brother had upgraded to the SL he wasn't in need of his ASFIR skid anymore, so I was more than happy to acquire it from him. I haven't really gotten to beat it up yet, but I can't wait. It installed very easily and looks good... still can't decide if I want to make it black or not though... It is now my only silver piece on the whole jeep, except for the headlights which will be changing as well.

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

The latest mod that I have done and am very pleased with is getting rid of all the chrome on the WK. Since it is a limited there was quite a bit and was also quite the pain in the butt!
I first went through and took off the 4 side trim pieces, front grill, and lower grille. Then I went through and sanded them all down with 150 grit sand paper and cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. I also did this to the chrome underneath all the windows and then taped those off and covered the jeep to prepare for paint. Next I went through and painted everything with 4-5 coats of the new dupli-color bed liner. Then I ripped off all the tape and plastic, re-3m taped the trim pieces, put the grille back together, and reinstalled all the pieces. I am very pleased with how it turned out and the bed liner turned out to be very tough without any adhesion problems with the chrome.

Unread 07-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Welcome to the forum!

Your jeep is looking great.
Did you just mask off the chrome trim around the rear window? or do you know a way to remove it

Can't wait to see what two Omelets can come up with!

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
jeepfan30
2014 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, I like the wheels! Were you in Seattle on Tuesday by chance? Saw a WK that looked similar to yours parked next to me near Pike Place Market.
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Haha, that was me! The wife and I were there for the day, I live in Spokane. I saw yours as well. You've got yourself a nice jeep, I'm actually pretty jealous. I would have loved to have the chocolate interior, but I liked the dark khaki color and it seemed like they didn't make any that came with the chocolate.
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The Punisher[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]05 WK 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Volant CAI[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]2" Rough Country[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Bilstein Struts[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]265/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ASFIR Suspension, front diff. Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar Fuel Tank, T-case Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar (Borla) Exhaust[/COLOR]
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to getting some good info and seeing some sweet WK's.
I ended up just carefully masking it off. It would have been too much of a pain in the rear to take it off. Turned out good though, I ended up going through later and touching it up to really make sure it wasn't going to chip or peal off.
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfan30 View Post
Looks great, I like the wheels! Were you in Seattle on Tuesday by chance? Saw a WK that looked similar to yours parked next to me near Pike Place Market.
Haha! Small world!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Valpacer

2007 WK 

There are two Omelets!!

Looking Good, and with all the bits Nathan isnt using your path is clear!
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.