Lifts, I just don't understand them... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Lifts, I just don't understand them...

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #16
Jaashua
2005 WK 

As far as I can tell the off roading is much better out there. I'm excited to join in the fun.

Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #17
Tbonfire
2006 WK 

Easier to change the oil lol
Tbonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
06JeepXKHEMI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As its been stated, knowing the tires you want to run and wheeling you'll be doing is what dictates the type of lift you need/want. Typically, people go for the cheap route to start, RC spacer lift which since you have new struts/shocks, may be a good option. These spacers go between the strut assembly and strut tower, giving approximately 2" of lift. The good part of these lifts is theyre cheap, easy install and pretty much does the job. The next set up is what I have the OldManEmu springs with struts and shocks. The struts and shocks themsleves do not give lift, but rather the springs and increased spring rate (stiffness). This lift will yield anywhere from 2.5-3" depending on the options of your rig, HEMI, V6, steel bumpers, etc.. Some people, including myself opted to get longer shocks in the rear, which help with articulation or flexing when off camber, this is not a must but more of preference to increase abilites of wheeling. Because this lift yields more lift, larger tires can fit with some minor modifications. When lifting these IFS, independent front suspension, Jeeps, there is very little articulation, flex, in the front suspension. Which leads to the next lift, the 4" Superlift, which utilizes a similar strut spacer upfront with stock or equivalent shocks, struts and springs, but also includes drop down brackets for the front differential and other components keeping close to if not identical stock geometry. This will help with articulation and performance off-road. Some people then take it to the next step, and use a SL with OME yielding 6-8" of lift, but this puts more stress on front end components and youre now back to limiting articulation.. Hope this helps a bit..
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonfire View Post
Easier to change the oil lol
ahh, yes this is one benefit I didn't foresee when I put my lift on. I love it!
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Willboy93
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Actually you don't even need to lift if you aren't looking for that big of tires. You can buy the highline fender kit and fit up to 35s on those
Willboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
As its been stated, knowing the tires you want to run and wheeling you'll be doing is what dictates the type of lift you need/want. Typically, people go for the cheap route to start, RC spacer lift which since you have new struts/shocks, may be a good option. These spacers go between the strut assembly and strut tower, giving approximately 2" of lift. The good part of these lifts is theyre cheap, easy install and pretty much does the job. The next set up is what I have the OldManEmu springs with struts and shocks. The struts and shocks themsleves do not give lift, but rather the springs and increased spring rate (stiffness). This lift will yield anywhere from 2.5-3" depending on the options of your rig, HEMI, V6, steel bumpers, etc.. Some people, including myself opted to get longer shocks in the rear, which help with articulation or flexing when off camber, this is not a must but more of preference to increase abilites of wheeling. Because this lift yields more lift, larger tires can fit with some minor modifications. When lifting these IFS, independent front suspension, Jeeps, there is very little articulation, flex, in the front suspension. Which leads to the next lift, the 4" Superlift, which utilizes a similar strut spacer upfront with stock or equivalent shocks, struts and springs, but also includes drop down brackets for the front differential and other components keeping close to if not identical stock geometry. This will help with articulation and performance off-road. Some people then take it to the next step, and use a SL with OME yielding 6-8" of lift, but this puts more stress on front end components and youre now back to limiting articulation.. Hope this helps a bit..
This is the best description I have seen. I cant exactly think of a time when I would need more than the spacer lift.

Sent from my Samsung S2 using JeepForum
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
06JeepXKHEMI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its all a matter of what type of wheeling you will be doing and what level of wheeling at that. The more difficult trails will be easier with a better suspension set-up, that being said many have done a lot with simple spacer lifts..
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
06JeepXKHEMI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willboy93 View Post
Actually you don't even need to lift if you aren't looking for that big of tires. You can buy the highline fender kit and fit up to 35s on those
Unfortunately we dont have those highline fender kits for our Jeeps, you lucky bastards!!
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What supports the vehicle off of the axles from the factory? Springs. Longer/higher rate springs will sit higher, therefore "lifting" the Jeep. Moving the body further away from the axles will move the upper shock mounts (on the body) further away from the lower shock mounts (on the axle). Therefore, longer shocks are needed. When it comes to travel bias, bump stops, link suspension geometry and the finer nuances of suspension components, those are different subjects that you'll find information on elsewhere.

This is why I hate the terms "lift" or "lift kit." That doesn't actually tell you anything....I prefer calling the components by their name--springs, shocks, control arms, bump stops, etc instead of referring to an entire "kit" as "a lift." The only time you'll hear me use that word is when I'm talking about a 2 or 4 post unit.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Willboy93
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI

Unfortunately we dont have those highline fender kits for our Jeeps, you lucky bastards!!
Oh haha I go through so many forums I forgot this wasn't a tj thread!
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willboy93 View Post
Oh haha I go through so many forums I forgot this wasn't a tj thread!
I would hope you would be able to keep track of both of your posts.
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Willboy93
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

I would hope you would be able to keep track of both of your posts.
Yeah it should be easy. What I meant was I look through a lot.
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua View Post
As far as I can tell the off roading is much better out there. I'm excited to join in the fun.
you should see colorado...

also the RC lift is a good lift. however, i would go with OME MD or HD as it will ride better and lift it a little more, and in general is just better, it is a ~$500 difference though.
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4TCHET View Post
you should see colorado...

also the RC lift is a good lift. however, i would go with OME MD or HD as it will ride better and lift it a little more, and in general is just better, it is a ~$500 difference though.
Once you put good shocks/struts on all corners to go with the RC it isn't that much of a difference.

If you trully plan to wheel it - OME FTW!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

Once you put good shocks/struts on all corners to go with the RC it isn't that much of a difference.

If you trully plan to wheel it - OME FTW!
I know lol there were reasons i got what I got (see sig) but in the end of it, it would have been better to get the OME

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.