Lifts, I just don't understand them... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Lifts, I just don't understand them...

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Lifts, I just don't understand them...

What exactly is lifting the Jeep? Is it just the springs? I understand you need longer shocks and struts when you lift but from what I can tell not everyone does that? Also there is just spring spacers? I know there is verying opinions but I just bought shocks and struts so is there no reason to lift at this point? I'm in rush to lift since I will be driving to Cali. I'm just curious can someone please explain to a complete car ignorant guy what is actually lifting the car?

Also how do lifts help aren't you basically just lifting the body while the frame is still lower?

Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Ok I'll help with part of it and try to bump this back up for someone who wants to explain the details. People run a lift so that the can fit bigger tires. Bigger tires= everything higher off the ground and from my experience a bigger range of off road tires to choose from. People also lift to increase what is called "approach angle". A higher approach angle means that instead of a boulder hitting your bumper, your bumper can be high enough to get out of the way until the tire gets to it. Oh, and lifts look MAAAAAD
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Well I forgot about the tires. That makes sense.
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

because the jeep is unibody instead of body on frame you cant do what you were asking about at the end. however lifting the body off the frame would be called a body lift. but yes, a lift would be either putting longer springs in or putting a spacer between the spring and the body to simulate a longer spring
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Okay if I just do the rough country lift, what are the cons?

From what I can tell its cheaper. Would I have to get longer struts up front or would the $200 ones I just bought be just fine.Would my rear shocks still be long enough?
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

I think before you buy anything you should do A LOT more research. I mean no offense, but you should know what you are buying before you buy it. Search around the forum on review and installs
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
TumorNamedMarla
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are different ways to lift a vehicle depending on your budget. The cheapest is generally putting spacers between the spring ends and the mount. This works like putting a thicker insert in your tennis shoes. Another type is to replace your stock springs with longer springs to lift your vehicle. Lifting your vehicle generally causes you to have to adjust other areas of the vehicle to fix suspension geometry. The type of lift you want/need depends on how you're going to use your jeep (DD, rock crawling, mud, etc) Generally, when pricing lift kits, you get what you pay for.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

WK body lift ftw!!
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Totally not helpful. What exactly do you think I'm trying to do with this thread? I'm not buying a lift any time soon. I am just trying to understand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
WK body lift ftw!!
Someone has already corrected me on this, but thanks for all your help.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Jaashua
2005 WK 

double post.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are several types of lifts as mentioned. The aforementioned body lift that you described is a viable tool used by wrangler guys like myself for a variety of uses above and beyond clearance of the tires which is the only reason you need to lift. Everything revolves around the tires when it comes to lift, gearing and clearance. There are two tools that are just as important as the lift and they are bumpstops and limiting straps. You don't want to ever chew up tires with the jeep's body panels. Its as counter productive as your right hand fighting your left. While you're drowning. Decide what tires you need to run for they type of wheeling you're going to do and go from there. Don't know yet? Join a 4x4 club and get out there and see what your jeep will be put through with the people you'll be putting it through. Experience is the best teacher and should be the number one consultant when it comes to building your jeep to your specifications according to your trails.

Was that a little more helpful?
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

By the by, what will you be doing in "Cali"?
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua
Okay if I just do the rough country lift, what are the cons?

From what I can tell its cheaper. Would I have to get longer struts up front or would the $200 ones I just bought be just fine.Would my rear shocks still be long enough?
No you do not "need" longer shocks/struts. Stock equivalent's are ok with a budget boost
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Quote:
There are several types of lifts as mentioned. The aforementioned body lift that you described is a viable tool used by wrangler guys like myself for a variety of uses above and beyond clearance of the tires which is the only reason you need to lift. Everything revolves around the tires when it comes to lift, gearing and clearance. There are two tools that are just as important as the lift and they are bumpstops and limiting straps. You don't want to ever chew up tires with the jeep's body panels. Its as counter productive as your right hand fighting your left. While you're drowning. Decide what tires you need to run for they type of wheeling you're going to do and go from there. Don't know yet? Join a 4x4 club and get out there and see what your jeep will be put through with the people you'll be putting it through. Experience is the best teacher and should be the number one consultant when it comes to building your jeep to your specifications according to your trails.

Was that a little more helpful?
Much.

Quote:
By the by, what will you be doing in "Cali"?
Moving to Sacramento. I figure I would lift after the 3,000 mile drive in my gas hog.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's close to my location. Perhaps we can get together and take that jeep out to one of three SVRA's in the vicinity. Well plus hollister. Give me a holler when you get here and we will get together

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.