"Liftgate Open" -- For the THIRD TIME - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > "Liftgate Open" -- For the THIRD TIME

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
mosey1950
2003 KJ Liberty 

On my '03 Liberty, I took the weatherstripping off and located two switches. One on the passenger side and one on the driver side. Which one is the switch that needs the wires switched?

mosey1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
jibbers93gt
2008 XK Commander 

On my Commander I had this same issue and I simply unplugged the switch connector on the liftgate latch. It happened twice when it rained and I woke up to the alarm going off on the truck and it said "liftgate open" The only downside is the interior lights dont come on when you open the rear hatch. Doesn't bother me, I just hit the unlock button on the key FOB or open a door.
jibbers93gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
michelebul
2008 XJ Cherokee 

Just venting at this point! This has happened twice now to my 2008 Grand Cherokee Ltd Diesel after going through one of those automatic touch free car washes. Dealer has not heard or seen this issue. I do a google search and it's all over the place!

Sensor light started last night and I found out by alarm going off. Opened/closed hatch and sensor stayed on. I even drove around a bit with heater on full blast to dry it out and also dried out latch with towel. Alarm went off again after so I turned off interior lights via stalk switch and locked doors using door panel switch - I am not sure if this just locks doors or also activates alarm - anyone know? Alarm did not go off again that night and I think after some time, the sensor light went off - when I peeked into the dash it wasn't lit anyway. Sensor light on again in AM when I got into car. Drove straight to dealer and he got to me right away. However, he looked at the sensor light and then turned the car off. When he turned it back on, sensor light was not on! I was not happy - why didn't he leave it running knowing it was intermittent so mechanic could see it and diagnose? I drove 20 miles missed work so he could see the darn thing on and it never came back on at dealer! He said he didn't want to replace the latch for $250 not knowing what the problem was. So instead they put di-electric grease on the connectors - whatever that means! He also washed the car and took the hose and sprayed around the hatch to try and repeat the sensor, but to no avail. Now I just read the Technical Bulletin about reversing the wires (http://wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0802207.pdf) and will give it to him for the next time. Why did I have to do that research? Very frustrated, but mostly annoyed that car was turned off at garage before mechanic could diagnose! Was it a ground? Who knows! Fair warning to all.
michelebul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Just had this problem manifest itself today and fingers crossed with wd40 , electrical grease and of course advice from this thread, I may have sorted it.

Question I'm left with though , is there any way to remove the sensor / switch from the lock assembly without springs lever and other bits pinging off everywhere ?
Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
sthender
2011 KJ Liberty 

I know what your problem is

I have had the same issue with my jeep three times as well. The last time I was told the problem is a faulty window seam and the leads will continue to corrode and sensors will continue to fail unless I get the seal replace with IS NOT covered by the warrenty. So unfortunately all I had them do was unhook the sensor that was telling me that the gate was open as I certainly don't have the money to pay for that and even if I did, I'm not going to. I'm trying to find enough people with the same issue to start a class action lawsuit.
sthender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Wow, lots of over thinking in this thread.

If you get this message, then you need to pop the rear glass and unscrew the two screws in the middle near the latch. The sensor is on the drivers side near the middle. Unplug that and the message will go away.

To fix this, you need to reverse the wires.

For those that get this and can't access the plug right away, you do realize that you can dim your lights all the way off and you won't have your lights on, right?
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Jd4436
2010 KJ Liberty 

Lift gate

I've had the same problem.
Just got back from dealer they wanted $360 to fix it
Ha ha ha there crazy
Jd4436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #23
jthurstonjr
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's a grounding issue, if you don't believe me try pushing the rear defrost button when the hatch is CLOSED but the light is still on with jeep running.
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
Wow, lots of over thinking in this thread.

If you get this message, then you need to pop the rear glass and unscrew the two screws in the middle near the latch. The sensor is on the drivers side near the middle. Unplug that and the message will go away.

To fix this, you need to reverse the wires.

For those that get this and can't access the plug right away, you do realize that you can dim your lights all the way off and you won't have your lights on, right?
That sensor is for the LIFT GLASS not the LIFT GATE Which I believe is the issue here. Had this issue also and the service bulletin is not much help as far as locating the proper wires. Think I'll leave this for the dealership to handle.
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #25
RickLiberty
2010 KJ Liberty 

A Constant problem

I bought my Jeep Liberty last year at a major dealer just outside Pittsburgh and was really thrilled with it... for the most part.

Over this past winter I took my Jeep to the automatic car wash and that night my car alarm started going off. For about an hour the alarm would go off every 10 or 15 minutes and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. The neighbors called the police and I explained something was wrong with my car and that I was going to leave the alarm disengaged.

I live in a decent neighborhood, so, I wasn't too worried. I've called the dealership about this and they said it's a sensor, but they want an egregious amount of money to fix it. This, apparently, is a manufacturer defect. I'm not impressed. AT ALL.

It's been months and I just noticed that my Jeep's interior lights were on. The alarm has not been used these past several months, but it seems that I will have to shut the interior lights completely off as well. I have no idea how long they've been doing this or how long they stay on when I'm not around, but I don't want to end up with a dead battery because the manufacturer flubbed when they were putting these Jeeps together.

I think I'll Google search every car I ever look at in the future to find out what foul-up the vehicle has and make sure the dealership fixes it before I drive it off the lot and it becomes MY problem.
RickLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.