"Liftgate Open" -- For the THIRD TIME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > "Liftgate Open" -- For the THIRD TIME

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
eatitalian87
2007 WK 

"Liftgate Open" -- For the THIRD TIME

I have my jeep serviced twice for this same issue. The first time, they found nothing wrong. Not true. The second time the said the whole sensor needed to be replaced because it was defective. That worked for a while. Now, every time it rains the "Liftgate Open" message appears and makes my interior lights come on and when I lock the car, my alarm goes off shortly after. I'm assuming there is a leak and water is tripping the sensor. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting very frustrated with this issue.

Unread 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

At "very frustrated" I take out the diagonal cutters and cut the lead to the switch. At "somewhat annoyed" I look at the weatherstripping around the liftgate.
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

http://wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0802207.pdf
Unread 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

I just got the same thing again last week.

Last year I got it while I was away for X-mas, and I had to drive the entire way home with my interior courtesy lights going on and off. The TSB referenced above was applied. And then I had to go back twice. Once because my tailgate wouldn't open at all, and then back again after that because they didn't put the tailgate plastic back in correctly. This as well as prior repeat visits made me switch dealerships after years of being a loyal customer.

Last week the car alarm woke me up in the middle of the night. I shut it off, and it went off again 5 mins later. Same problem - back again.

I brought it to the new dealership (prior 2 visits were great) and they "fixed a shorted out wire in the wiring harness". They also reversed my tailgate lock. When I lock the car (from the door or remote) the doors lock and the alarm arms, but the tailgate is unlocked & unarmed (I can open it without the alarm sounding). When I unlock the car, the tailgate locks.

Bringing it back in tomorrow, visit #5 related to this issue.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
eatitalian87
2007 WK 

wow, i thought i had it bad going back for my third time. anyway, i just got back from the dealership this morning. a buddy of mine is a tec and he switched the wires, exactly as marlon posted. problem solved, under warranty. and we're not the only ones, because he says he goes through this fix about 3x a week.
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
jjandersonn
2008 WK 

Anyone know where the liftgate ajar sensor/connector is located on the WK?

Our's is malfuntioning as described in the TSB and since it's not on warranty, it would be nice to do this myself.
1997 Grand Cherokee - Laredo (SOLD)
Calgary, AB, Canada
jjandersonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

And just to update, in June I had to take it in for the third time.... This time 'the switch was corroded so we replaced it'.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
CmmdrDan

lemon law? third times a charm? if i read it right you got it fixed but if it happens again id go ask about the lemon law in your state
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
jjandersonn
2008 WK 

Somebody has to know where this switch/sensor is located?
1997 Grand Cherokee - Laredo (SOLD)
Calgary, AB, Canada
jjandersonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
JamuJoe
2014 WK 

Liftgate sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandersonn View Post
Somebody has to know where this switch/sensor is located?
Can someone tell me where this sensor is located? I've got the same problem and the GC is now out of warranty.
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
08Hemiwk

my 97 thinks its always open its a pain
08Hemiwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
hasselg

The sensor is located in the latch.

I've had the latch replaced in my '05 less than a year ago and the problem once again began to appear recently. I took the interior trim panel off (10 screws and misc. plastic rivets) and located the wires connecting the sensor. There is a small white connector on top of the latch (some diagrams make the latch appear as though it is the handle... it isn't. It is the bottom center of the liftgate and is the part that actually connects to keep the liftgate shut). I unplugged this connector and from what I can tell am suffering no ill effects, minus the vehicle no longer knows when the liftgate is ajar. Lock still works, lift glass still works.

For anyone trying to reinstall the interior trim panel, I recommend removing the lift glass weather stripping. It made reinstallation much easier.
hasselg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Pashin
2009 WK 

I have had this problem with my rear lift gate for some time now. I hadtoo drive 400km with the chime and lights constatly going off until I realized to turn off the Interior Lights. I have also had the alarm go off at any random time and the inability to even open the rear lift gate (I had to go in through the hatch). I have also noticed that water is leaking through the rear lift gate lock. So I have removed the rear interior panel and investigated. The entire rear lock is corroded, the water seems to interfer with the electronics(causing hte chimes and lights), then eventually the lock mechanism becomes corroded causing it to seize in the locked position. I am in the process of determining where the leak comes from. It is not easy becasue the rear lift gate changes position when you lift it so the water travels in many directions. From what I can see, it looks like water is getting in through the gasket at the rear window hatch on the bottom side specifically wear the gasket has its joint, and then dripping in through the window hatch lock and down to the lift gate lock. It could also be coming in from the rear wipe motor mount or also the lift gate handle. I will take some photos and post later today.
Pashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Had my '07 for 3 weeks and got this today with the heavy rain. I'll wait till after the hurricane to investigate.
phottomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Temp fix, try pulling the fuse. Mi ne would be in cavity 12 10 amp controlling Door mod, and lights (glove box, map lights)
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.