Lift Measurements - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Lift Measurements

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #31
Budasac
2005 WK 

I've actually heard of people modding the stock struts for an extra 1/4". Basically, they removed the bolt connecting the fork to the strut, slide the fork down .25", drill a new hole in the tab for the fork bolt and bolt it up. Basically the same effect as the Bilsteins. I haven't actually looked into this myself to see how much meat would be left below the fork strap, but it makes sense. Maybe I'll investigate this weekend. An extra 1/4" in front certainly wouldn't hurt me.

As far as the tab on the Bilsteins being 1/4" off, IDK this for fact. It's what I've "heard" though. Don't have them myself.

Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #32
meep
2008 WK 

keep in mind, 1/4" at the strut will become 1/2" at the wheel, so you don't have to drill too far.

If you do investigate, Please let me know. Mine is a DD so I can't have it up in the air long to explore. I have to go in, do it, get out...

from Kolak-- 5 minutes after I asked...

---------

Hello,

I don't really see any evidence that the coil spring seat is in a different position. Many times the lift is because stock shocks wear out very quickly and thus ride height is restored. This I can say, the Bilsteins are the best struts and shocks for the WK - their high pressure monotube design is the pinnacle of shock technology offering the best possible handling, ride control, fade resistance and most rapid responsiveness of any shock type. They have a lifetime warranty. Price is $310.00 for the set of four.

I have not had an single issue with a 2" lift. The Daystar kit is priced at $150.00 and is very high quality - they make their urethane here in the USA.
---------------
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #33
Budasac
2005 WK 

I'll definately let you know if I investigate.

@ Kolak if you read this. I wasn't refering to the coil seat, but rather the tab that the bolt from the lower fork passes through. If you happen to get your hands on two to compare I'd be curious to know for sure since this is simply something I have heard.
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #34
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Buda, this is what you are talking about (pic)
You take the clamp off the bottom of the strut, cut a 1/4" 45 degree bevel all the way around the bottom of it, then weld a small metal tab (important) on the top where the strut's locating tab rests. The locating hole strut where the bolt goes through is oval shaped, and there is not enough material to drill a new hole, so you have to use a file to make the hole longer.
Depending on how much lift you already have and the angle of your upper and lower control arms, you will gain anywhere from 1/2" to 1" of lift. I have RC spacers + 1/4" rustys type spacers (fabricated). When I added this, I gained another 3/4" of lift from a 3/16" lift here.

The further the control arms get from horizontal, the more lift you will get from adding length to the strut assembly. 1/4" at the strut assembly does not alawys = 1/2" at the wheel. If the LCA is horizontal, then 1/4" at the strut assembly = 1/2" at the wheel, but if the LCA is at about 25 degrees past horizontal, then 1/4" longer strut will = closer to 1" at the wheel.
shockclamp.jpg  
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
sunrcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #35
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Hey meep

This is how I swapped out the studs for longer bolts in my strut plates.

First I hosed the bolts down with PB blaster and let them soak for a bit. Then I grabbed a 7/8" socket.

I placed it under the head of the stud and gave it a few whacks with a mini sledge.

They popped out easy enough. This is what I grabbed to replace them.

I am sure you could find actual studs instead of using bolts, but I didn't feel like searching. Here is a comparison.

The one bad thing about using bolts it that you have to secure them in to keep them from spinning. I just tack welded each bolt a couple of times and then shot them with some paint to keep them from rusting.

Once it was re-assembled.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #36
meep
2008 WK 

can't get pics at work. both posts read to be VERY interesting. Will be looking tonight!

I did write back to Kolak and clarify spring perch vs mounting tab. Haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!
Meep
Unread 10-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #37
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrcr69 View Post
Buda, this is what you are talking about ...l.
Sunrcr69- That is exactly what I was talking about. I'm curious though, why the chamfer on the bottom?

Excellent illustration by BTW.
Unread 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #38
Budasac
2005 WK 

Also, Meep, what lift do you have? If it's the RC, couldn't you put one spacer between the strut mount and the RC spacer, and then one ontop of the RC? Rather then stacking both together. Then you wouldn't have to press in new bolts.
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
2005GRANDONE
2005 WK 

Meep if you have the rc lift I wouldn't put more spacers on top. I did this with mine and it put a lot of pressure on my upper ball joint.

(details)-pic at bottom)

image-2906869707.jpg

image-1102143866.jpg

when I raised my jeep on the lift at work and took the uca loose the front suspension would drop almost another inch where I had rc lift and 2 additional .25 spacers

That is why I went with ome and then added the .25 spacers.

Another trick is if you put front ome in you can use your stock front springs in the rear for about 3.25 inches of lift

FOR SALE 265/70/17 Firestone Destination M/T
05 laredo, 4.7 V8, H.O. cams, fastman t.b. OME hd 3", Rustys .5 spacers, bilstein 5150 rear, yukon spider & side gears, superchips flashpaq, 33x12.50x17 nitto mud grapplers on black moabs, 1.5 spidertrax wheel spacers, flowmaster 40 series, K&N cai, Mopar gas tank, T.C & engine skid plates, riddler diff cover, removed sway bar on front.

Jks quicker disconnects for sale pm me
2005GRANDONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #40
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Sunrcr69- That is exactly what I was talking about. I'm curious though, why the chamfer on the bottom?

Excellent illustration by BTW.
Thanks,
The lower 4" of the strut looks like this (pic). There's actually a manufaturing seam at the bottom of the strut.
if you move the clamp down, it will need to be chamferred about 1/4" to clear the seam so that the clamp mates properly with the strut body when tightened.

With the RC spacer, 1/4" rustys type spacer, and this lower shock mod with 3/16" tab welded to the strut fork (clamp), I have 3.5 ish" inches of lift. However, the front feels stiffer due to the angle of the strut -vs- the angle of the control arms. when fully extended (lifted up by a jack), there is about 1/2 mm of clearance where 2005GRANDONE's is rubbing.

I'd say the RC spacer, 1/4" rustys type spacer, and this lower shock mod with 3/16" tab welded to the strut fork (clamp) is as high as you want to go with this configuration. Any more and youll see pics like those above on your jeep.
lowerstrut.jpg  
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #41
Budasac
2005 WK 

Got ya. Makes perfect sense. Great info bro, thanks for jumping in.
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #42
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

No prob, its a free extra 1/2" (or so) of lift. who wouldnt want that?
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #43
meep
2008 WK 

unloaded, 1/2 tank gas, with rusty's 1/2" level up front: 19 1/8" center to fender, both front and rear
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #44
meep
2008 WK 

Rusty's 2" BB with extra 1/4" spacer in rear
Matrix guard and front skid.
full tank

21 front
21 1/4 rear
Unread 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #45
JeepMDHemi
2005 WK 

Not sure what lift I have because I bought it this way but I measure 22 1/2 up front and 22 in the rear. Any ideas on how to find out the brand of my lift without tracking down the previous owner lol he left his address in the navi.. I've got bilstein shocks up front as well as 1 1/4 wheel spacers..

Marshall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.