Hello to you all!
I'm a new member but been lurking here for a while. This spring I bought my first Jeep, in fact my first american. My last rig was a Nissan Terrano II which wasn't bad but getting a bit worn. Wanting a V8 and to have owned at least one american car, a khaki 05 GC with a HEMI was my choice (I almost bought a 35" WJ, but for some unclear reason didn't).
Having driven it now for one summer (autumn seems to come early this year) and getting a feel for what it does, what has impressed me most is how good it is on gravel roads, even rough ones. It's suspension just eats up all but the biggest holes (I even drive washboards quite fast). Downside is however that it needs a little taller feet and it's to soft in the city (wobbly is the word that comes to mind).
I've started prepping for some modifications (and hopefully improvements). Part of that has been reading threads here for various mods and builds (there's a LOT of stuff here and some very interesting builds).
The base of my build will be the lift. My head keeps going this way and that but mostly I come back to the OME HD or possibly SL. What I'm looking to do is to use 33x12,5 tires or possibly 35s, and I'm wondering if the OME will be enough for the 33s. The SL, while preferrable, is a bit expensive, more so because my shocks (and possibly springs) are getting worn out and would need to be replaced as well. Shipping these things to Iceland almost doubles the price of everything. However, on 35s I'll have a car to use in the winter if conditions are good.
The only thing that i don't need to ship here are the flares.
So, a few questions. Any comments and advice will be very welcome!
- Have any of you gone for wider than the 285? Where are they rubbing, inside the fender or fender lip? Since it's a unibody I'd prefer not to cut much and besides, there's very little room for cutting at the rear door.
- The OME MD, does that lift less than the HD in the real world? I do not intend to add much weight (some, but not much). Have you known it to sag with time? HD or MD is something i've thougt a lot about, I fear that with HD I'll loose much of what it does on bad roads.
- The SL and 35s. Have you seen much increased wear on suspension, steering and drivetrain? Does that bit that's supposed to cure the ESP work?
- How much do the kits weigh? The OME and the SL?
- While lifting, have you changed more than springs and shocks? UCAs? The insulators on springs and shocks? Something else?