Leveling MLLs with a BB - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Leveling MLLs with a BB

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
tfranzone
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scranton/Poconos, PA
Posts: 56
Leveling MLLs with a BB

So I've come across a few things on the forum, but decided to start a sepearte new thread to see if I can get an answer more directly related to my issue right now... bear with me here....

I have an 08 4.7L V8 WK with a Daystar BB and stock shocks and struts...
Since the v8 is a little heavier in the front as you know, the daystar BB, which should be a leveling kit, is not level.. it still has a tiny bit of rake to it.. which I HATE. I am going to be replacing my shocks and struts in a few months and in doing so would like to take that opportunity to gain a little more lift..(an inch all around if possible) and at the same time and most importantly ..LEVEL my stance.
My current measurements are:
FRONT center hub to fender - 20.75"
REAR center hub to fender - 21"

Whatever I do shock and strut wise, I need to have .25" more up front in order to be level. I have narrowed it down to two options .. but not sure which of the 2 will get me more lifted best while being completely level..
Option A. Bilstein struts and 1 set of strut spacer up front with Bilstein shocks in rear. OR
Option B. Bilstein struts and 1 set of strut spacer up front with Monroe Load Levelers 643 in the rear.

I am leaning towards the MLLs for the extra height...I know the MLLs will be higher than the Bilsteins, but not sure how much more.. and the main thing I'm worried about is them giving me too much extra lift in turn giving me too much rake that the bilstein struts and strut spacers up front can't match to level it.. but in going with option B, the Bilsteins in the rear don't give much boost..(3/8", I believe) I'd be pleased with 22" both front and rear center hub to fender if posible..but am even better if I can safely end up at 22.5" both front and rear. Any idea which of the 2 options would help me lift and most importantly LEVEL my WK??

Is anyone running a BB with MLLs and Bilstein Struts with Spacers up front?
Can you post measurements before and after?
Thanks

__________________
2008 4.7L V8 WK --- BLACK, 2" Daystar Lift, 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/70/17, Pinch Weld Mod, Black Shorty Antenna
25% tint, PD's Wheels & Emblems, Fogs, Weathertech Digital Liners,
Drop in K&N
tfranzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,832
I believe budasac is running the set up youre thinking about, but with a RC BB. check out the tire/wheel stickie at the top of the section- should have some measurements. or check out his build thread. ive heard of the MLL giving you close to an 1.5" of lift in the rear.
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Budasac
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 3,156
Did someone mention my name? lol


The stock length MLLs will yield roughly .75" extra lift. The longer F-150 model will give you roughly 1.25 - 1.5". (this is based on an empty cargo area). I would suggest you do your thing up front and see how she sits. If you like the stance after raising the front then go with the bilsteins in the rear. If you feel you need to lift the back a little then you can decide how much and get the appropriate MLLs.


Also, I started a thread for Lift Measurements a while back you might want to check out. Various rigs with different set-ups listing all their measurements. Might have some useful info for you.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
tfranzone
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scranton/Poconos, PA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Did someone mention my name? lol


The stock length MLLs will yield roughly .75" extra lift. The longer F-150 model will give you roughly 1.25 - 1.5". (this is based on an empty cargo area). I would suggest you do your thing up front and see how she sits. If you like the stance after raising the front then go with the bilsteins in the rear. If you feel you need to lift the back a little then you can decide how much and get the appropriate MLLs.


Also, I started a thread for Lift Measurements a while back you might want to check out. Various rigs with different set-ups listing all their measurements. Might have some useful info for you.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'd prefer to do it all at once though, so I'm trying to just figure which of the two options would boost me and level me at the same time... as for the neasurement thread, that helped a bit.. someone on there said they were running a daystar BB with 643 MLLs in the rear and Bilstein Hd struts up front and their measurements were.. 22" up front and 22.5" in the rear...
The front at 22" doesnt make sense to me.. that would mean Bilstein HD struts alone gave him a full 1" or so.. unless he was using strut spacers as well.. Not sure. I asked.
__________________
2008 4.7L V8 WK --- BLACK, 2" Daystar Lift, 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/70/17, Pinch Weld Mod, Black Shorty Antenna
25% tint, PD's Wheels & Emblems, Fogs, Weathertech Digital Liners,
Drop in K&N
tfranzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Budasac
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 3,156
As I understand it the Bilsteins will give you a slight lift due to the fact the hole in the stop tab at the bottom is in a slightly different location. I beleive it's only about .25" though.

I hear ya about doing it all at once, but the rear shocks are a 5 min swap. Better to do it right once then to guess and have to return/replace new parts.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.. I'd prefer to do it all at once though, so I'm trying to just figure which of the two options would boost me and level me at the same time... as for the neasurement thread, that helped a bit.. someone on there said they were running a daystar BB with 643 MLLs in the rear and Bilstein Hd struts up front and their measurements were.. 22" up front and 22.5" in the rear...
The front at 22" doesnt make sense to me.. that would mean Bilstein HD struts alone gave him a full 1" or so.. unless he was using strut spacers as well.. Not sure. I asked.
if he got a full 1" then his stockers will blown/shot to hell.
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
tfranzone
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scranton/Poconos, PA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
As I understand it the Bilsteins will give you a slight lift due to the fact the hole in the stop tab at the bottom is in a slightly different location. I beleive it's only about .25" though.

I hear ya about doing it all at once, but the rear shocks are a 5 min swap. Better to do it right once then to guess and have to return/replace new parts.
When I replace them, I think I will put the Bilstein HDs in the front with one set of rustys or JBA strut spacers.. this will probably boost my front from 20.75" to 21.5"-22" somewhere around there i would guess..sound about right? From there I will be at lets say for guessing purposes.. 21.75" in the front and my 21" in the rear and I can see how much more lift in the rear I need and get either MLLs 646,643s, or Bilstein HDs in the rear. If that were the case then i could get the MLL 646s. bc they add .75" you said, right?
You're right about doing it right the first time.. I guess I just dont want it to cost more..since a shop is doing the installs for me.. but I guess it would equal out to the same price in the end.. so might as well do that.. Im sure its fine to drive a few weeks with the front end higher anyway.

Also, anyone have any idea how much lower the front sits hub to fender on a 3.7L v6 as opposed to a 4.7L v8 in general?
__________________
2008 4.7L V8 WK --- BLACK, 2" Daystar Lift, 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/70/17, Pinch Weld Mod, Black Shorty Antenna
25% tint, PD's Wheels & Emblems, Fogs, Weathertech Digital Liners,
Drop in K&N
tfranzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Budasac
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
When I replace them, I think I will put the Bilstein HDs in the front with one set of rustys or JBA strut spacers.. this will probably boost my front from 20.75" to 21.5"-22" somewhere around there i would guess..sound about right? From there I will be at lets say for guessing purposes.. 21.75" in the front and my 21" in the rear and I can see how much more lift in the rear I need and get either MLLs 646,643s, or Bilstein HDs in the rear. If that were the case then i could get the MLL 646s. bc they add .75" you said, right?
You're right about doing it right the first time.. I guess I just dont want it to cost more..since a shop is doing the installs for me.. but I guess it would equal out to the same price in the end.. so might as well do that.. Im sure its fine to drive a few weeks with the front end higher anyway.

Also, anyone have any idea how much lower the front sits hub to fender on a 3.7L v6 as opposed to a 4.7L v8 in general?

You don't need to go back to the shop to have the rear shocks installed. They are probably one of the easiest parts on the vehicle to change. Unless you go with the longer MLL you really don't even have to pull the wheels off. Stock shocks can be changed in about 3 minutes in your driveway with a ratchet.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
elfirebird
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 133
I must be the exception somehow. Fender to hub I picked up 3 inches front and rear with the Daystar -- Bilstein/Monroe combo. I'm at 23 and 23.5
__________________
2005 WK Limited Deep Beryl Green Hemi QD2 - Daystar, Bilsteins and MLL - 265 70 17 Toyo AT II - Black Rock Viper Black wheels - Aq1200D + SDC2.512 = 870 watts RMS
elfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebird View Post
I must be the exception somehow. Fender to hub I picked up 3 inches front and rear with the Daystar -- Bilstein/Monroe combo. I'm at 23 and 23.5
how many miles on your rig? the combnation of worn struts/shocks and replacing them with new could have gave your more than most when you installed them. how long have you had them in? my guess is you will settle around 2.5"..

btw, BB and 285s- one of my favorite combinations for the WK
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Scottso699
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebird View Post
I must be the exception somehow. Fender to hub I picked up 3 inches front and rear with the Daystar -- Bilstein/Monroe combo. I'm at 23 and 23.5
Elfirebird - which BB lift did you use? I just bought a RC 2" Lift for mine...
__________________
Scott

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Budasac
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebird View Post
I must be the exception somehow. Fender to hub I picked up 3 inches front and rear with the Daystar -- Bilstein/Monroe combo. I'm at 23 and 23.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso699 View Post
Elfirebird - which BB lift did you use? I just bought a RC 2" Lift for mine...
It's right there in the his post.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Scottso699
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac

It's right there in the his post.
Oh right - sorry - must have breezed over that - and I looked too... going blind
__________________
Scott

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Budasac
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso699 View Post
Oh right - sorry - must have breezed over that - and I looked too... going blind
lol.... no worries.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
elfirebird
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
how many miles on your rig? the combnation of worn struts/shocks and replacing them with new could have gave your more than most when you installed them. how long have you had them in? my guess is you will settle around 2.5"..

btw, BB and 285s- one of my favorite combinations for the WK
It has right at 80500 miles. I havent measured it since the initial, so its possible.
__________________
2005 WK Limited Deep Beryl Green Hemi QD2 - Daystar, Bilsteins and MLL - 265 70 17 Toyo AT II - Black Rock Viper Black wheels - Aq1200D + SDC2.512 = 870 watts RMS
elfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.