Letting the Commander breath a little better - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Letting the Commander breath a little better

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
INTREPER

Letting the Commander breath a little better

I was looking at the air intake set up for the commander this morning. It looks as if the air box has a tube extension that goes from the front of the box, to the front of the grill. Weird being that the hole is facing down, and not out infront of the grill. I think i'm going to cut this tube up and get it to face the front of the grill for a little more air into the box. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

INTREPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Probably designed like that so dirt and water aren't forced into the intake.
Unread 01-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
INTREPER

I think this week i'm going to remove the accordion tube and secondary air box and will replace it with a smoth tube of aluminum. I'll then cover that up with header wrap or something. That should get a lot of the restriction out of the way. Anyone else tried this?
INTREPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
SYCOHEMI

Still waiting for my intake kit to get final approval from K&N and the powers that be so I can install it on my vehicle.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
simioh

i pulled the intake appart too, and also thought that scoop out the front should be facing forward, but since people will use this vehicle for offroading i suppose the air box would be filled with mud, dirt, and all that stuff. what i did was drill several holes at the bottom of the box. to take that scoop off the frunt i think u need to take off the whole front grill. im not looking for that much performance off of it since i have the 3.7, but like the post said, i would want it to "breath a lil better"
simioh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
INTREPER

IN order to handle the snorkle you have to take the grill apart. It's super easy. You remove the 6 pop up screws, pull them out, and up comes the grill.

This weekend I took the entire air box out and made my own.

1. removed the secondary air box
2. removed snorkel (way too much restriction for air in this little snorkle)
3. replaced secondary air box with a 3" piece of pipe with a 90 degree elbow. I used all the stock hardware/rubber couplings to connect all the new pieces.
4. replaced factory filter with K&N panel filter
5. still need to paint new piece of pipe

The results were great! It's got more torque on the bottom end, and shifts much easier and quicker under full throttle.
Best yet, no noise on top of the factory set up. At least not for me.

So far i've gained 3 averega miles per gallon on one tank of gas driving up and down the freeway. I was only getting 12 mpg, and now am getting 15.

More time will tell. I will get some pics of the set up when I finish painting it
Unread 01-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

holy cow, 3 more mpg's? That's the only bad thing about the commander, is the HORRIBLE mpg's with the 5.7 L. Thanks for the post, maybe I'll try it also.
Unread 01-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
SYCOHEMI

3 more MPG's is HUGE. I think I am doing better now too, with my Gibson Exhaust. I can't wait to get my K&N. If I can get 15-16 MPG, I will be very pleased.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
INTREPER

The thing you have to remember with this truck is that it's heavy. IF you take it easy on the gas pedal, she'll do fine around town.
Unread 01-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
INTREPER

Some quick pics of my intake (not done yet. Still have to paint her).

The following is the snorkel coming from the air filter box directly to the front of the grill. Keep in mind there's a flap missing on the very front. Notice the plastic rivets? I accidently broke the flap when removing it.

You guys notice how restrictive this things looks? No wonder the commander feels chocked.

With my home made intake, I left the airbox snorkel off. I didn't feel that the intake was sucking in any of the engine compartment heat when in motion. It gets tons of flow in there while moving. Every time I stopped to check the temp on the intake and air box, it felt cold to the touch compared to the palstic engine cover. It was about 62F the day I did this.

Here's what the air box looks like now with the snorkel removed.

The second item of restriction is the silencer box. As you can see from the pic, the air flows through a bunch of little chambers. If you look through the air box you also notice holes through the main chamber that allows air into the small square areas. This is done to make the intake very quiet.

I also replaced the stock air filter with a K&N. With the combo of those items, the butt dyno liked the results. The shifts are tighter at higher RPM. RPM's will hit red line if I want them too. Before it wouldn't. And now it gets going quicker from a dead start. I really didn't notice a diffrence in noise from the intake either. Go figure.

Overall, i've spent about $60 on this so far. The K&N filter being the most expensive so far at $55.00
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
XKShawn

Thanks for the info and pics. I'll probably try this as well and see if I can improve on the 11.8 mpg I'm currently getting.
XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
Brian87gt

Pics of my intake

I had a friend fab it up for me, my MPG shot up almost 3 mpg. I have the 4.7
Brian87gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
adhir

Great mod -- need to try it myself

Your pix are gone. Anyway you could repost them, or send them to me via email?

Thanks
adhir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:42 AM   #14
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.