Less low end grunt after exhaust install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Less low end grunt after exhaust install?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
nassin2
2005 WK 

Less low end grunt after exhaust install?

I just had 3 inch magnaflow exhaust installed on my 5.7 gc. It sounds really nice and all but my seat of the pants impression is that it doesn't seem to have quite as much low end power as before. They removed the resonator by the back bumper when the exhaust was installed. I'm wondering if maybe I lost some needed back pressure. Has anyone else noticed this after having exhaust installed?

Black WK Club Member #11
nassin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
DAHEMI
2005 WK 

was hoping for some replies as I'm following that other thread before splurging on an exhaust. my WAG is doubtful the muffler swap and resonator delete effected low end much. that big ole Hemi is already necked down to a single exhaust and the resonator isn't much of a restriction itself just a sonic tuning aid. you should hear my neighbor warming up his Hemi Ram every morning. good thing I like harmonics and drone. even at oh-dark-thirty in the morning love that V8 rumble!

has there been any other changes in driving / mpg? going for the Superchips later?
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #1[/COLOR]
my poor signature is thrashed so deleted it
[I]The Second Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security[/I]
DAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
jmohlerfaria
2004 TJ Wrangler 

little light on the low end

re-increase your back pressure.
should help restore the low end.
did you change anything else?
parking on your a**hole neighbor's honda : ) Priceless
jmohlerfaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

You may loose a very little low end with the 3 in. system, but overall (city/highway) you will see improvement. The biggest problem with the Hemi breathing adequately is the stock exhaust manifolds. Although they port match the heads (1 3/8 in.), internally the ports dump into each other from front to back and exit into a 1 7/8 in. ID collector. With the firing order as it is, not all of the cylinders scavenge through the manifolds adequately, especially the driver's side. Once into the single system they should scavenge better than a dual system. I would guess that you have a pretty big drone issue on yours without any other silencing other than the Magnaflow. Which one do you have. On mine I have two 12 in. glasspacks (one in front of the Magnaflow and one in the resonator position) and a 14589 Magnaflow, and it is just barely passes the wife test, especially when the MDS is active. In V-8 mode it's not too bad.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
nassin2
2005 WK 

After having the exhaust for awhile it sounds really nice with no noticeable drone. I have the big body magnaflow and that really melllows out the exhaust tone. The exhaust combined with my K and N intake makes for some really nice noises The low end really isn't much different after getting used to the exhaust.
Black WK Club Member #11
nassin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , magnaflow

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.