left rear tails do not work--left signal, backup and left stop do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > left rear tails do not work--left signal, backup and left stop do

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
kenific

left rear tails do not work--left signal, backup and left stop do

Hi,

I have a Grand Cherokee 2005 Laredo. When I turn on my headlights the back left tail lights dont come on. The back left directional works, the stop and backup do work. I even put in bulbs from the right side to see if something wacky was going on with the connectors to the bulbs themselves. Same issue.--The top left tail light and middle tail will not turn on. Probably not a fuse issue since all of the right side lights work fine?

Thanks

JPK

kenific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
kenific

to add- I took the entire light bulb and the casing from the right to test into the left tail lights. still no dice.
Unread 12-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenific View Post
to add- I took the entire light bulb and the casing from the right to test into the left tail lights. still no dice.
Have you checked you fuses.On 2008 they have seperate left and right tail light fuses.Maybe 2005's have seperate fuses also.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
kenific

I have not. I looked in the manual under fuse section but it was not clear if there were separate fuses for left and right tail lights.

If anyone knows if they exist, please let me know where I can find them.

It appears there is a fuse section by the steering wheel and two separate fuse "boxes" under the front hood. Hopefully the fuse is the cause because I believe the next thing to look at would be wiring leading up to both tail lights. If thats the case, it would be suspect that just a tail light wire going to each tailight on the left broke or came loose. But then again, what do I know...hence Im here! Thanks....
Unread 12-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
robpp

The fuses are seperate.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_fuses.htm
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
kenific

Thanks guys...hoping this saves me a trip to the dealer to check anything else. Much appreciated...
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
kenific

actually, Im back--sorry---Is this in the PDC grouping as found on the page above? Sorry, I am not that familiar with some of the acronyms that are used there. I am guessing its cavity 8 in the integrated power module?
Unread 12-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
robpp

Looks like thats the correct one.

Disconnect the nbegative before you start pulling and checking breakers or fuses.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
Unread 12-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I was working on a liberty recently and it had a similar issue. We did everything possible. The last ditch effort by the guy I was helping was to source a third rear brake light from the salvage yard and test it. It fixed everything as the original unit had a short in it.

symptoms included no brake lights, non-working rear 12 volt outlet.

couple of questions:

does your 12 volt outlet (if you have one) still work?

does the 3rd brake light work properly?

Overall we knew it had something to do with the rear ground. and as the third brake light had it's own ground it worked fine.
Unread 12-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
kenific

Yes, my 12 volt works---all of the brakes light work....I just solved the problem by the help of the guy speaking about the fuse---I just replaced the left park fuse ---cavity 8 on the website above...put the battery neg back on and sparked it up---and good news---all the lights work as expected. Thanks again...
Unread 12-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
robpp

Glad to hear that worked.

On these WKs, I disconnect the negative to do practically everything. Even change a light bulb. We have this IOD system, way to sensitive. And as you've seen, everything is controlled by a module.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.