LED Trunk Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > LED Trunk Mod

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome savings at openboxoffroad.comNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 10-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

LED Trunk Mod

So let me just say this first, I AM NOT THE FIRST TO DO THIS MOD. I followed Omelet's Build Thread. However, I will write up my own thread in hopes to help others who want to do this helpful mod. Basically, I put a LED strip inside of the rear vent (on the roof) so I can see at night. The little bulb that was already in the hatch is useless.

First:
I picked up a generic 8' LED Ribbon Light Kit from my local Home Depot for ~$60.

Originally, these lights were designed for cabinetry so I discarded the adapter and plug the kit came with.

Next:
You'll need to remove the vent fascia from the roof. It is held in with a few clips that pry right out. Start at one end by wedging a finger behind it and pry it down. Go from right to left or vise versa, but go clip by clip. The vent fascia will look like this once its out.

Next:
After you pull off the vent fascia, there will be 3 or 4 black plastic rivets holding in the headliner. Pry a flathead scewdriver or chisel and pop them out being careful not to break or bend them as you will need to pop them back in after. Once the headliner is free, you'll see the wire harness that goes from the roof into the trunk, take off the cover and you'll see the wires.

Next:
I cut the LED strip to the length of the vent fascia and layed in between one of the slats.

I cut off a small portion of the plastic clip so the LED strip would sit flush as Omelet suggested. I just used wire cutters to trim the plastic.

Then, I grabbed my hot glue gun and set the LED strip in place. Make sure you get the ends as well.

Next:
The (+) wire is the RED wire with a WHITE stripe. The (-) wire is the YELLOW wire with an ORANGE stripe. I spliced into each wire and added the LED strip.

Make sure you don't have any exposed wires. I taped and capped off the ends.

Finally, pop the vent fascia back in and test it out! The LED's should turn on/off with the cabin lights.

Unread 10-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Nice! I too was shocked at how worthless the small light on only one side of the hatch was.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
BlackPrintz
2005 WK 

I bought one of those 10 light LED packs for a WK off eBay and the difference is amazing. That one little light in the cargo area actually lights up the whole area now.
Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPrintz View Post
I bought one of those 10 light LED packs for a WK off eBay and the difference is amazing. That one little light in the cargo area actually lights up the whole area now.
I got that pack too. But I wanted more haha
Unread 10-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Trim to fit Light strips without the adapter and plug are available in 16 foot lengths for ~$15 on amazon and ebay
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
Blatt
2007 WK 

I still need to do this, bought the LED's 4 months ago and have not yet done it.

Looks good
Blatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
C.Semprini
2005 WK 

Sorry for going off topic but how do you have that spare mounted??
C.Semprini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Semprini View Post
Sorry for going off topic but how do you have that spare mounted??
He modified the trunk

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...-tire-2143905/

Black WK Club #152
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Ya that's my write up for a "ZJ" or "XJ" style spare location. I've been messing around with other ideas for the trunk to add more storage beneath, but we'll see.
Unread 12-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
T1m
2006 WK 

Sorry for my possibly dumb questions, but did you just snip the wires to the liftgate light, so there are no series/parallel things going on? Also, did you snip the strip between LED's lengthwise and all was good?

Really wanting to do something like this, thanks!

Edited to add that the light strip from the Home Depot product description states "Can be cut every 2 in. for customized length".

Last edited by T1m; 12-03-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Oops...
T1m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Not sure what you mean by "snip the wires in the trunk" but I didn't cut the led strip I layed. Alot of people have, but I didn't. It works great.
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJeep View Post
Not sure what you mean by "snip the wires in the trunk" but I didn't cut the led strip I layed. Alot of people have, but I didn't. It works great.
The ones you find on ebay/amazon are cut to length (every 3rd led) and come in 16' lengths.

I think he is trying to understand how you tied them in to the stock wiring.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Best way to connect them to the existing wires is a T Tap connector
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Ahh, I spliced right into the existing cabin lighting in the trunk, it's in the write-up. As far as the LED'S go, they are made the cut to length.

Tags
led , led headlamps , LED lights , trunk , vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.