Leather Steering Wheel Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Leather Steering Wheel Issues

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
davescott

Leather Steering Wheel Issues

Just checking to see if others are having the same problem. I've got an '05 GC with a leather steering wheel cover. After a little less than 2 years and 25k miles the leather surface is shot. I've got a '97 XJ with 86k and the wheel is in great shape. It appears that there's something wrong with the quality of leather currently being used. If I'm the only guy with the problem, so be it. If others are having the same problem it might become a factory warranty issue. As I understand it now, Jeep says its not something covered by the warranty.

I'd appreciate any input.

davescott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Well , I bought my 05 WK with 18K miles but there was a "Burn" spot in the top of the leather when I bought it. I purchased a "Wheelskin" brand cover and it covers the wheel perfectly. If you decide to buy one let me know, I have a few tips for you about installation.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
code4code5
2006 WK 

I thought the leather on the wheel of my 91 Wrangler was damaged - like the top layer was worn off. Turns out that with a little elbow grease and windex, it cleaned right off.
code4code5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
jcool1985

Yes its just cheap leather that is used on the wheel. My 2001 Wj has the same problem it started around 40k I bought a wheelskins cover at 60k and it is so much higher quality than what they use at the factory. I don't think it is just DC though all newer cars seem to have cheaper thinner materials used in the interiors than cars from the early and mid 90's. I mean feel a leather wheel in a zj and then feel a wj or wk and you can tell a huge difference on the quality. Yeah so maybe the newer interiors look better but if they don't hold up as long as the old then who cares. Thats why I don't want a wk because the seats are so much cheaper feeling then the leather seats in my 01 limited wj. No offence wk owners
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2007, 02:49 AM   #5
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

The feel of mine is fine, but there is a tiny spot right by one of the seams where the color has rubbed off. I had scuffed it with the sharp edge of a ring right there once, so I think that's why. Really tiny though so it's no big deal.

I clean the seats and steering wheel leather about once every three months using a damp rag, then follow that up with a leather conditioner. Keeps the seats and steering wheel feeling and looking pretty good.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
njrealtor55
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yet another example of "quality' parts being used in $35K+ vehicle. it makes me sick.
there is a guy who makes covers for the arm rests ($125) and also will re-cover your steering wheel ($300).

Contact info:
James DeCuir
jamesdecuir@fabricsandframes.com
www.22elite.com

PICS OF HIS WORK...
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=806608

04 Rubicon mallcrawler
savvy/currie 4"
njrealtor55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
jcool1985

Does the guy make covers for the wj center console armrest? Or just the wk?
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Wheelskin installation tips.

(1)As your installing it be sure that you roll the seam back, away from the drives view, makes a much cleaner look.

(2) Get something like a large paperclip and bend a hook in the end of it. After lacing 5 or 6 inches, use your fingers to pinch the gap closed and while holding it that way use the hook to pull the laces tight. This will ensure that the wheelskin is good and tight.

(3) keep a very careful count on the holes as you stitch it on. It is really important that the holes line up or the thread will pull a wrinkle in the wheel skin. Those connection points on the steering wheel are tricky and you will have to use "Dummy" stitches in the front (see instructions). Dont stop your stitches flush with the wheel support, instead lace in two extra holes and let the thread kind of wrap around the support. You will have to leave the lacing pretty loose to get behind the support but this will make a much better installation. When you are installing the "Dummy" threads you will think that that floopy section will be a problem but if you draw the two extra laces on each side tight, it will not raise up while driving.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
Unread 05-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
1BADDROP

Does anyone have pictures of an installed wheelskin? Im going to be doing one and just wanted to see what the finished product looked like!!
Unread 05-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Took a few for you. Should give you a pretty good idea what it will look like. This is my second one in a year. Learned a few tricks on the first one. This one is a lot better than the first.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
Unread 05-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
1BADDROP

Thanks for the pic's it looks really nice........ Ive seen a lot of wheel covers that look super cheap so Im doing a little research before I buy one!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.