Leaky sunroof??? 07 wk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Leaky sunroof??? 07 wk

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
JP4RP

Leaky sunroof??? 07 wk

Got my 07 grand cherokee new...been leaking every time it rains. Don't know where the leak is exactly but when parked flat leaks near the A pilar handle and when I'm parked uphill in my driveway it leaks in the back. The dealer suggests its a clogged sunroof drain? I'm not paying them to find it. Has anyone had this issue...would like to know before I take down the headliner. Thx!

Raychel

JP4RP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Definately sounds like clogged drains. The thing I've learned about the sliding type sunroof is they aren't designed to be water tight. If they were - they wouldn't have drain holes.

The backs I'm really not sure about but the front drain holes are located in the two front corners of the tray just inside the top of the sunroof opening. The drains run down the a posts and drain out just behind the rear of the wheel wells. I unclogged mine a while ago:

click here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13707344

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
JP4RP

Sure enough, that's exactly where mine leaks! I'm pretty sure when it leaks in the rear it's just running down the back from the front due to the angle. I never knew sunroofs had drains?!? Thanks so much I'm gunna use your lol how-to and show my husband so he can do it 😅. So you didn't have to remove the whole headliner just the a-pilar one??

Thanks a million!

Raych
JP4RP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4RP View Post
Sure enough, that's exactly where mine leaks! I'm pretty sure when it leaks in the rear it's just running down the back from the front due to the angle. I never knew sunroofs had drains?!? Thanks so much I'm gunna use your lol how-to and show my husband so he can do it ��. So you didn't have to remove the whole headliner just the a-pilar one??

Thanks a million!

Raych
Like I said - I'm not really sure where the rear drain holes or lines go. It's possble there aren't any. For the fronts you definately don't need to remove the headliner and you don't necessarily have to remove the a-post trim to clear a clog. I did because I wanted to see that the lines weren't bad. Good luck to ya!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

When mine leaked the glass was not flush with the roof it sat lower the dealer recalabrated it and its been fine.
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach View Post
When mine leaked the glass was not flush with the roof it sat lower the dealer recalabrated it and its been fine.
What did that involve and what did they charge you?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

What did that involve and what did they charge you?
No need to take it to the dealer. You can very easily recalibrate it yourself. I had the same thing happened and just like bmuhlbach, mine disappeared after recalibrate by it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...008-a-1257359/
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post

No need to take it to the dealer. You can very easily recalibrate it yourself. I had the same thing happened and just like bmuhlbach, mine disappeared after recalibrate by it.

Same here. Was out of alignment for a year until I found the write up.
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post

Bonus for you!! Just did this while drinking my coffee. Thanks for sharing that - closes up proper now.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

That hold the button didnt work on mine The sunroof moved up and down to recalabrate it didnt change or help the wind noise or the water leak and the glass still sat lower then the roof i only did it 3 times though so maybe I didnt do it right after reading to do it 7 times. The dealer charged $99.99 + tax the paper work said TSB23-040-06.Its fixed now so I think it was worth it
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

Bonus for you!! Just did this while drinking my coffee. Thanks for sharing that - closes up proper now.
Glad I could link you to the thread that was so helpful for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
That hold the button didnt work on mine The sunroof moved up and down to recalabrate it didnt change or help the wind noise or the water leak and the glass still sat lower then the roof i only did it 3 times though so maybe I didnt do it right after reading to do it 7 times. The dealer charged $99.99 + tax the paper work said TSB23-040-06.Its fixed now so I think it was worth it
Mine seemed to work after the third time but I just followed the directions anyway.

That's pretty ****ty of the dealer to charge $100 for 2 mins of "work".
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
JeepN4KC

I noticed that when the sunroof is "feeling out" it's range of motion in the recalibrate mode (while you're holding the button) if I let go of the button at the peak of its travel - and then cycled through full open/full tilt - the thing dialed right in.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
JeepN4KC

^^^ Already been covered. First response to OP's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Definately sounds like clogged drains. The thing I've learned about the sliding type sunroof is they aren't designed to be water tight. If they were - they wouldn't have drain holes.

The backs I'm really not sure about but the front drain holes are located in the two front corners of the tray just inside the top of the sunroof opening. The drains run down the a posts and drain out just behind the rear of the wheel wells. I unclogged mine a while ago:

click here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post13707344

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Oddly enough, I had a bit of a rainshower inside my WK yesterday morning.. blew out the front drains today (passenger side was clogged).. first time in the 5-1/2 years I've had it.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Tjgrou2

On my parent's Chrysler T&C (Should be the same roof) the clog wouldn't blow out. I used a thinner 10ft piece of weedwhacker nylon. Pushed it right out. I could even see the gunk once the nylon came out of the wheel well. I've been advised that you could possibly puncture the drain line, but i don't think nylon would do that. Worth a shot if nothing else works.
Tjgrou2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.