Leak under passenger side floor mat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Leak under passenger side floor mat

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
brgehlh
2007 XK Commander 

Leak under passenger side floor mat

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why I have leak under the passenger side floor mat on my 2007 Jeep Commander? I do not have a sunroof on this model. I have noticed that i have continuous hot air flow coming through the bottom floor vents even with all fan motor switches off. I know that there would be some kind of air circulation coming through while driving but the problem I explained above is abnormal. All heat and A/C controls work just fine. I need to find source of leak. Please help! Thanks

brgehlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
volcy
2005 WK 

Do your windows fog up on the inside sometimes? Could be a leaking heater core.
volcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
brgehlh
2007 XK Commander 

Leak under passenger side floor mat

No, I haven't noticed any fogging up of the windows. All A/C and heat functions work properly with the exception of continuous hot air blowing through floor vents while driving. Thought that problem could be stuck blender door but not sure.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
callea

Are you losing coolant?
callea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
brgehlh
2007 XK Commander 

leak under passenger side floor mat

I am not losing any coolant that I am aware of. I actually just had it topped off a week ago so I haven't noticed anything abnormal. It's weird that the spot is pretty well center of floor board. I haven't pulled the carpet up to see if there is any kind of drain plug in this area. It didn't have a coolant smell. It was more of a musky, moldy smell.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
oldfamilyguy

Well if you need to top it up you're loosing coolant somewhere. But if whats under the carpet isn't coolant then it has to be water getting in somehow. You mention sunroof which is a common cause but you don't have it. Try watching inside while someone hosing it down, roof, windshield, around door etc. and maybe you can see how its coming in.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

This is probably due to your weather stripping on the top of your drivers or passenger side front doors. Had the same issue with my 2006 and heard many complaints from others on this as well...there may even be a technical service bulletin out on it. What happens is water finds its way in through the weather stripping and usually trickles down to eventually form a puddle or wet spot on the front floor. In my case I could see water dropplets coming out of the front grab handles that parallel both sides of the windsheild. You need get some 3M Brand clear windshield sealer, pull back the weatherstripping around the top front of the doors and just lay a bead of the sealant. Let it dry reinstall weather stripping and you should be good to go. Mines been dry ever since. As far as the warm air coming through your lower vents while driving, it's probably nothing to worry about or at worst a problem with your hvac flap doors...has nothing to do with the wet floor.
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Here's the stuff I used. Make sure to run it along the upper sides of the windshield as well around the plastic weather stripping. Won't hurt anything, use liberally.
3m.jpg  
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
oldfamilyguy

About the floor vents I can't say for sure on this. But my wifes wk grand cherokee does the same thing, not a whole lot but always some flow regardless of the setting you choose. It was never enough to really worry about so just left it alone but when I was looking into it, I think I remember reading about a tsb on it and a reflash that was available to reprogram the settings. Sorry can't tell you more but maybe something to research if its bugging you. And you also mentioned having to add some coolant, probably a good idea to try find out where its going especially with summer coming up. None of these modern engines take to kindly to overheating, just once can pretty much kill them.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
brgehlh
2007 XK Commander 

I appreciate everyone's advice! I will check out the weather stripping around the door to see if I can get a good seal. Hopefully that's where the issue lays.
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
callea

One other thing to consider is a clogged AC evaporator drain line. Have you been running the AC when you experience the wet spot? The AC evaporator is behind the dashboard in the middle (just like the heater core). The evaporator has a drain line that removes the condensate and I've had them become clogged in other vehicles resulting in a damp floorboard.
callea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
brgehlh
2007 XK Commander 

So, I took it to the dealership to find the issue. They charged me $91 to look at it. They found the recirc actuator door gear was broken. They have to order the part first but with labor this is going to cost an additional $182. The leak was from blower motor which is underneath the recirc door. Crazy! I just thought I would share my findings.
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgehlh View Post
So, I took it to the dealership to find the issue. They charged me $91 to look at it. They found the recirc actuator door gear was broken. They have to order the part first but with labor this is going to cost an additional $182. The leak was from blower motor which is underneath the recirc door. Crazy! I just thought I would share my findings.
No kidding?!?! Well glad you got it figured out...I never would've guessed that!
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by callea View Post
One other thing to consider is a clogged AC evaporator drain line. Have you been running the AC when you experience the wet spot? The AC evaporator is behind the dashboard in the middle (just like the heater core). The evaporator has a drain line that removes the condensate and I've had them become clogged in other vehicles resulting in a damp floorboard.
right on that's exactly what happened to my old ZJ (and a bunch of others)

now I know about the actuator door gear failing, but AFAIK that has never been associated with a leak or wet spot on the floor. I would keep any eye on it because I'm not convinced that the failed gear motor is the root cause of the wet floor mat
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
gamma500
2005 WK 

Hmmm..I would have put my money on the clogged evap box drain, particularly if the wet spot favored the medial, front side of the pass. floor. The recirc. door failure was in the open position (?) where, on my WK, it almost always has been for last 7+ years without any water leakage despite some pretty good storms out here.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.