KYB vs Bilstein shocks - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > KYB vs Bilstein shocks

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #31
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Correct!

IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerin
Kinda confused, new to Jeeps so don't mind me when I ask this question:

Why is it that some people say Struts? And some call them Shocks? Doesn't the jeep have both, right?
Yea the design of the shock on the front is called a strut, it comprises of a spring and a shock together. (used on IFS vehicles now-a-days).
The rear is a solid axle using a coil spring so it uses a traditional shock absorber.
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

the engineers at work call em dampers.... ugh.. always corrercting me
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #34
juanjaimeiii
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The KYB is a low pressure twin tube shock with velocity sensitive valving - much the same as your stock shocks in terms of technology.

The Bilstein is a high pressure monotube design with a digressive self-adjusting valving setup.

Bilsteins will outperform the KYB by quite a wide margin. You'll get more rapid responsiveness, far better fade resistance and improved ride control and handling.
Do you sell the Bilsteins? If not where here in the Phoenix area can I get some?
juanjaimeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #35
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjaimeiii View Post
Do you sell the Bilsteins? If not where here in the Phoenix area can I get some?
He's the man, send Kolak a PM with your info & e-mail address.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

So far ive got 35,000+ miles on my 5100's and love them!
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #37
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piepenbrok420 View Post
Yea the design of the shock on the front is called a strut, it comprises of a spring and a shock together. (used on IFS vehicles now-a-days).
The rear is a solid axle using a coil spring so it uses a traditional shock absorber.
The WK uses a fron "Coilover" design,a shock with a coil surronding it.

Easy way to tell between a "Strut" and "Coilover" on a IFS(and/or IRS) vehicle is if you have a upper control arm you have a coilover,no upper control arm you have a strut.Struts take place of a upper control arm to place the top of the knuckle.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
bigpav7

So when you guys upgrade the shocks/struts, are you replacing just the rear or both front and back? Anyone know the part #s for 2010 commander want to put on bilsteins.
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
JRLT
2010 WK 

Rears can be done in your driveway with the tire jack in 30 min or less. I took mine in to the local mechanic to do the fronts since I dont have the tools.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #40
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I put Bilsteins on all 4 at once (not myself - no space to do that work) and the Jeep came alive! You can't go wrong - and Kolak is the best source to buy them from
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.