Kick in da Pants for an '09 3.7L 2WD! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Kick in da Pants for an '09 3.7L 2WD!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
infinitempg
2009 XJ Cherokee 

Kick in da Pants for an '09 3.7L 2WD!

Been diggin' around and getting mixed messages so thought I'd just cut to the chase and pull all the strings together. Got a low mileage clean 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L 2WD and really like it except for the somewhat flat performance, lax acceleration at times, quirky idle (sometimes RPM drops like a rock when idle for a while) and less then stellar gas mileage. Been burning up the web and found a lot of confusing stuff....

Heard that mod chips like the Jet 90901 or Hypertech 52501, will increase performance, good changes to tranny shift points, response and gas mileage. Then I find first hand users saying that it didn't do squat or very little, or horror stories of creating engine knocks, transmission shifting issues, and other issues that don't go away when it's removed.

Then stumbled across the cold air intake kits that increase horsepower and gas mileage. Then I dig deeper and find that mileage and performance improvements are minimal, the filters clog quick or don't filter well and debris gets sucked in screwing stuff up, or requires cutting and altering things under the hood to truly get cold air intake.

So the question is, is there really anything that can be done to help improve performance and gas mileage with the stock 3.7L 2WD without risking major mechanical issues???

Any and all opinions, suggestions and advice gladly welcome

infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
oducks12
2005 WK 

I have the Hypertech programmer and havent had a single problem. I'd say it is definitely the best bang for the buck. You can also put headers on it, a full exhaust system, re-gear for better acceleration...it all depends on how much $$ you want to put in it.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
infinitempg
2009 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12 View Post
I have the Hypertech programmer and havent had a single problem. I'd say it is definitely the best bang for the buck. You can also put headers on it, a full exhaust system, re-gear for better acceleration...it all depends on how much $$ you want to put in it.
Do you have the 52501? How difficult was it to install and setup? How much improvement did you see to tranny shifting, response and mileage? Hate to pry but.... well, no I don't

Not running down the headers/exhaust street, last time I did that was on a 350 small block and the only you could call "electronics" in that beast was an 8-track
infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.