Keyless entry not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Keyless entry not working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Jfortner5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keyless entry not working

This one is for my wifes Jeep, the 05 WK. The keyless entry remote does not work anymore. We have replaced the battery and still nothing. I tried multiple batteries, so I know I didn't have a bad one.

Eventually, I opened the remote up, and found that the little metal "clip" that holds the battery down, and provides the contacts for the battery had come loose from the circuit board. I soldered it back, and it worked for a week or two.

Now we are back to square one. I guess the thing maybe came loose again, but I would rather just replace the key. Its not a big issue having to manually unlock the door, except for the alarm. Im assuming this is normal, but if we unlock the door with the key, the horn starts going off when you open the door. If we could just disable this I would be happy for a little while.

Any recommendations on how to fix this, or what are the options on getting a new key/remote?

Thanks,
Joey

Hers- 2005 Jeep WK Laredo 4x2- 3.7L, auto, all stock

Sold- 1998 Jeep TJ SE- 2.5L, AX-5, 2" BB, 31's
Jfortner5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Jfortner5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I found another key/remote today. It doesn't work either. I put a new battery in it. Then I read somewhere that when you change the battery in the remote, you need to unhook the battery in the Jeep to get the remote and the reciever synchronized. I did all that, hit the button and the Jeep unlocked. I tried it a few times locking and unlocking. I was going inside to tell the wife I fixed it, and I tried it one more time. It of course, did NOT work.

I guess the next step will be to unplug the damn horn so at least we can unlock and get inside the Jeep without causing every neighbor to think we are nuts.

Unread 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Budasac
2005 WK 

Don't use the power doorlocks when exiting the Jeep. It's the same as pressing the lock/ "arm" button on the remote. Lock the door with the key and the alarm shouldn't sound when you open the door.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
KZad
2006 XK Commander 

Any update, Jfortner5?

I know I'm bringing back an older one, but I am having a similar problem. Lost one remote, and the current one stopped working. I have heard that maybe it's low juice in a "going bad" main battery? Just wondering if you have fixed yours or found an alternative to the alarm problem.

I have found that if I lock the doors with the keys in the ignition, then remove the keys and open my door (door unlocks), if I lock it manually ... the alarm doesn't sound when I unlock it with they key.

KZad
KZad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Jfortner5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks for bringing it up I honestly had kind of forgotten. I think I tried soldering the little clip in the remote again and I couldn't ever get it to work. I'm afraid that it may be the receiver part and I'm not sure how to fix it. I never could get the alarm to stop but I didn't try your method. I pulled the horn relay out of it to keep from pissing the neighbors off. I need to get back on this and try and fix it. I don't mind manually unlocking the door so much, I'm used to it with my truck but when me or my wife have our two year old son its kind of a pain to unlock the door, put the key in the ignition and turn it before we can unlock the rest of the doors.

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
jrslate
1978 CJ7 

Guys, this is a very common problem with older WK keys. The dealership will gladly sell you a new key for $275 (even though it's only an $11 part for them, or something like that...)

I had both of mine soldered by a local computer nerd who was used to soldering delicate connections. Then I put a small piece if cardboard under the circuit board to act as a shim. Without it, the board flexes when you depress the button. The flexion can break the battery contact connection.
jrslate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Jfortner5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I know this is bringing one back from the dead, but maybe it can help somebody in the future.

I woke up this morning and went to take my little boy to the donut shop, the car seat was in my wife's WK so I tried to start it. It got down to around 24 here last night and that killed the battery. $165 later its back to normal (thanks Jeep for the kind of oddball battery). Anyway since I was out working on it I figured what the heck I'll mess with this key. I tried to solder one a year or so ago when I posted last but it never worked. Well today I found out why, if you just glance at it, it looks like the batter hold down clip has one big connection to the circuit board. I looked at it closer today and realized there are three.

I don't have a soldering gun, and I didn't feel like spending any more money today, so I positioned the clip on there and wrapped it really tight with electrical tape. It's working great now, of course I don't know how long it will last. I'm gonna pick up a soldering gun or find one to borrow and try it again. I have two keys, and both of them have the same problem. The clip was just loose inside of them.

Considering that both of mine are broken, odds are there are thousands of them out there broken. Just think of the money Chrysler has made over the years on them at $275 each. Anyway, I just wanted to bump this back up so maybe somebody can use it whether it be now, or from pulling it up while searching.

Unread 01-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfortner5 View Post
Ok, I know this is bringing one back from the dead, but maybe it can help somebody in the future.

I woke up this morning and went to take my little boy to the donut shop, the car seat was in my wife's WK so I tried to start it. It got down to around 24 here last night and that killed the battery. $165 later its back to normal (thanks Jeep for the kind of oddball battery). Anyway since I was out working on it I figured what the heck I'll mess with this key. I tried to solder one a year or so ago when I posted last but it never worked. Well today I found out why, if you just glance at it, it looks like the batter hold down clip has one big connection to the circuit board. I looked at it closer today and realized there are three.

I don't have a soldering gun, and I didn't feel like spending any more money today, so I positioned the clip on there and wrapped it really tight with electrical tape. It's working great now, of course I don't know how long it will last. I'm gonna pick up a soldering gun or find one to borrow and try it again. I have two keys, and both of them have the same problem. The clip was just loose inside of them.

Considering that both of mine are broken, odds are there are thousands of them out there broken. Just think of the money Chrysler has made over the years on them at $275 each. Anyway, I just wanted to bump this back up so maybe somebody can use it whether it be now, or from pulling it up while searching.
Every single one of these remote head keys have the same issue. Design flaw. I never let one leave my shop without adding a little extra solder to the three points. Customer's appreciate it more when I can get them a new key for under $100, but I also show them how i've made life a bit easier in the future.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.