Key rant/question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Key rant/question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
stephen

Key rant/question

with jeep targeting the commander toward an outdoor-minded buyer, it surprises me that they don't have a solution for the electronic key + water problem. whenever i am out on the water, I have to hide my keys for fear of getting them wet. I know landrover's keys are waterproof. are jeeps? if so has anyone actually submersed them for a long period of time? did they come out okay?

stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
T-Rated

Even if they claimed that they're waterproof, which I doubt, I'd still put it in a Ziploc bag, along with my cellphone and anything else electronic. Including my "water resistant to 50m" watch.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
stephen

definitely agree..but usually all i have on is a wet suit....no room for a bunch of junk, and definitely not willing to trust my ride home to a $.02 bag. any good suggestions on where to hide a key on the car ( i won't tell)
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
T-Rated

You can get the non-remote key with the chip. It's much smaller. Someone with experience in experimenting may know how the alarm would work with this setup. I thought that if you locked the doors remotely, the alarm would trip if you unlocked the door manually. Something like that. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

@ T-Rated
u can lock your doors remotly and manually still use your key to open the doors and turn the car on with no issues.

@stephen , i forgot my keys inside my jeans and tosed them in the waching machine, remote part never worked after that
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think a waterproof key would be cool and would fit the image of Jeeps pretty well.

But I'm pretty sure they aren't even water resistant as they are...when I pulled the key apart to change the battery, I don't recall seeing any seals to keep water out.

One option might be to simply put one key in the baggie and shove it inside your wetsuit somewhere, and keep the second key inside the vehicle, say in the locked glove box. Even if the key got wet, you could still open the door (the alarm would go off), then use your dry key to shut off the alarm and drive away. Sure it might ruin a key, but then you know you'd have a key that you could take with you whenever you dive.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

As much as keys/remotes cost already I don't think I would like to have to pay the added cost of making them water _proof_ enough to withstand something like scuba diving or whatnot. It's difficult to make something with push-buttons very waterproof. And if they did, you would likely ruin the waterproofing every time you changed batteries (unless you wanted to go to the service department just to get new batteries)

By the way, there are several nifty small waterproof containers that you can buy that are made just for storing your key in while diving.
And like someone mentioned, getting a key with the chip but without the remote--like a service key--is a great idea.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_blaster
@stephen , i forgot my keys inside my jeans and tosed them in the waching machine, remote part never worked after that
I washed my _old_ WJ remote plenty of times and it seems to always come out working just fine. I've even washed my cell once and after drying out it worked fine.
Typically, the batteries are the weak spot when it comes to water. For my cell, I had to buy a new battery (after a few weeks of drying out my old one started working again though). You may try just cleaning your remote out and replacing the batteries.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
05HemiQuadII

Just go to Wally world and get a $1.25 key made that will unlock the door, and keep the fob key in the console. That is what I always have done when going to the lake. Well I keep a spare toolbox key and keep in there, I wear that on my watchband with a ziptie. Haven't lost it yet, (knocks on wood).
05HemiQuadII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
stephen

i think that is the best option..just make a spare key for unlocking, and leave the electronic key inside for actually driving. does anyone know if a commander key is standard enough to be cut byt the local hardware store, or is the shape special enough to require jep so send one? i know the dealer can cut a non-electronic key.
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
05HemiQuadII

Pretty standard profile me thinks. I may try to get one this week.
05HemiQuadII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
T-Rated

I have a generic duplicate I keep in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the Jeep. Because it doesn't have a chip, the alarm goes off, but if I locked my real key inside, I can disable the alarm. The chipped keys are thicker, so I went with a cheap duplicate so it doesn't make my wallet look fat.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.