Key Fob Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Key Fob Questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Jake00

Key Fob Questions

Hey guys, this might be my first post in the WK section. My wife drives our 09 Overland and her key fob buttons stopped working so she switched with me. I changed the battery and the buttons still won't work. I thought I saw a post about getting replacement fobs on here cheap but can't seem to find it. The chip in the fob still lets the car start so I believe I can still program a new one. Where is a good source to get replacement fobs and how much should it run me?

Jake00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
gamma500
2005 WK 

Jake,

I did a Forum Search with "key Fob" and there are quite a few postings which will point you towards a new source...there is an inexpensive one on eBay you can put your chip in. I didn't post any links from the Search since there are a ton you probably want to peruse...
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
fordt
2008 WK 

I bought an 08 CRD Overland recently with only one remote, bought a couple off EBay from vendor "yourkeylessremote", sells them for $44 each with free shipping. Definitely cheaper than the dealer, and supposedly if you have two working remotes, you can program a third yourself (but that won't help ya)...the dealer charge is high-$100 or so to program. If you know anyone at any dealership, the job can be done with a scanner. That's what I did, he had me park outside the fence but still in range of the wireless scanner-snuck out on his lunch hour to do it!
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt View Post
Definitely cheaper than the dealer, and supposedly if you have two working remotes, you can program a third yourself (but that won't help ya)...the dealer charge is high-$100 or so to program.
Nah, it'll work. All it needs to do is identify itself to the vehicle when it's in the ignition, which it's still doing if he can still start the vehicle with it.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Shafer57
2006 WK 

You need two keys that start the vehicle in order to enroll a third doing on-board programming (See owners manual). If you only have one working key that does this, call your local locksmith first and skip the dealer. Most locksmiths can do all of this for you much cheaper than a dealer. Including hooking the truck up to a computer and manually enrolling keys into the memory.

Hopefully this helps, any questions just ask, i'm a locksmith and do this daily

Also confirm that the cradle that holds the batteries in place is secured to the circuit board properly.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Jake00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57
You need two keys that start the vehicle in order to enroll a third doing on-board programming (See owners manual). If you only have one working key that does this, call your local locksmith first and skip the dealer. Most locksmiths can do all of this for you much cheaper than a dealer. Including hooking the truck up to a computer and manually enrolling keys into the memory.

Hopefully this helps, any questions just ask, i'm a locksmith and do this daily

Also confirm that the cradle that holds the batteries in place is secured to the circuit board properly.
I just read your post about everything you need to know and I'm convinced its the battery contacts that are the problem. I also have learned this is the fobik key and its pretty tough to get a soldering iron in there, unless its ok to split the case instead of taking the battery cover off? Is there a good chance I'll mess up the transponder chip?

Thanks to everyone else that chimed in.
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake00 View Post
I just read your post about everything you need to know and I'm convinced its the battery contacts that are the problem. I also have learned this is the fobik key and its pretty tough to get a soldering iron in there, unless its ok to split the case instead of taking the battery cover off? Is there a good chance I'll mess up the transponder chip?

Thanks to everyone else that chimed in.
Splitting the case open on a FOBIK can be tricky. Some locksmiths, or even car security/audio places will actually repair those annoying small solder connections. On the older style like the key in my thread, you can actually electric tape the battery, and cradle down to the circuit board and re-assemble the whole thing and testing again. Which might not be possible on the FOBIK

Here's a video on splitting the case.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Jake00

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a new FOBIK for $45. Once that's programmed and working I may try to split the case and repair it to have a third remote laying around for a spare.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake00 View Post
Thanks for the link. I just ordered a new FOBIK for $45. Once that's programmed and working I may try to split the case and repair it to have a third remote laying around for a spare.
Sweet, don't forget to run to a locksmith or somewhere to have the key insert (in the FOBIK Fob) cut from your current one.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Jake00

Thanks!
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
jediknight
2008 WK 

Is it possible to program 3 key fob or skim module allows only for two ?
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Is it possible to program 3 key fob or skim module allows only for two ?
I'd have to double check, but the memory in the immo. should be able to hold up to 8 keys. If that is your question.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
jediknight
2008 WK 

I have a third key from a another jeep (same plateform type) here that I'd like to program. Do we have to delete all the keys from the immo through starmobile before registering this key or we should be able to add it without deleting the others ? This third key is already programed from an other accidented jeep and i'd like to reuse it.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
I have a third key from a another jeep (same plateform type) here that I'd like to program. Do we have to delete all the keys from the immo through starmobile before registering this key or we should be able to add it without deleting the others ? This third key is already programed from an other accidented jeep and i'd like to reuse it.
Keys are not reusable.
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
jediknight
2008 WK 

So they have to be brand new in order to program them ?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.