Keeslinger31's build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Keeslinger31's build thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Keeslinger31's build thread

Starting with this

05 Black/Grey limited Hemi nav 2 inch lift 255/70/17 general grabbers at2's

Started with an oil change with mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 and a mopar filter
Replaced the air filter
Then I changed the spark plugs for some champion 570's

Then I removed the grill, bug shield, air dam and painted the grill black

Then I clayed polished and waxed it

Looks much more aggressive

Then I ordered new chrome for the rear bumper as it was dented in a few spots (pics soon) it looked terrible

Also ordered a cabin air filter kit from filterheads and a new idler pulley as it groans a little when spun and ive read some horror stories of them letting go

My future plans are to add a 4xguard front skid

Black out the lower chrome trim need to get some double side tape for this project

Black out the headlight chrome maybe sounds pretty difficult to remove the lenses

Replace the muffler with a borla or magnaflow definitely I have a welder so this will be easy

Shorty antenna definitely

Tint the front windows and add a brow probably

Undecided on the wheels either leave them alone, paint them charcoal or remove the plastic skins and paint them charcoal. advice?

Also need to change trans transfer case and both diffs fluids.

Clean the throttle body

Need ball joints, not sure whether to replace the whole control arm or just press in the ball joints.

Unread 08-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Clirry
2014 WK 

Just beautiful start!
Clirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Anon155
2005 WK 

Welcome to the forum neighbor! Good to see another lifted WK in KC, there's only a few of us out there. Looks like your off to a great start. I like the idea of painting the wheels charcoal. I've heard its not easy getting that coating off the wheels though. I'd probably just plasti dip them or try to sand them down with a decent grit and paint over it.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155 View Post
Welcome to the forum neighbor! Good to see another lifted WK in KC, there's only a few of us out there.
^^^ x2

Just some food for thought - the 4xG front skid is gonna set you back some bills - bills that would be better spent on the belly skid.

I would definitely be up for a KC WK day of wheelin sometime.

BTW - I like the attention to preventative maintenance right outta the gate.

Smart move.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Thanks guys! Where is there to wheel around here? Id be interested to see what this thing can do.

I love preventative maintenance it's saved me more than once and I like a challenge

Iv'e got the factory skid option although they aren't 4xguard belly guards they are pretty hefty
looking though not sure the thickness. The 4xguard looks like it covers the muffler too?

Regardless I was happy to see these when I looked under it

And as you can see I really need to do the ball joints

I was thinking of maybe making my own skid plate for the front it would only need two bends
and can use the existing bolts for the engine guard And the three for the front bumper maybe save
myself a couple hundred bucks

Anyways it's nice to see some wks in kc that aren't grocery getters !

Last edited by Keeslinger31; 08-27-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Keeslinger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I would definitely be up for a KC WK day of wheelin sometime.
I'd be down for that as well. My rig is still a pretty big work in progress, but would definitely be fun to meet everybody.
816jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
I'd be down for that as well. My rig is still a pretty big work in progress, but would definitely be fun to meet everybody.
thats 4
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
JeepN4KC

@ Keeslinger: See there.........put a 4xG belly skid in that mix and you've got solid protection underneath. Add to that a stronger aftermarket rear diff cover/guard and you're good to go.

There are few that are great places to wheel:

SMORR - just outside Springfield
Tuttle Creek - just north of Manhattan
Kansas Rocks - south of town in Mapleton, KS

There's a couple others if you are interested look into KCJeepClub.org or the Northlanders Jeep group on FB

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Anon155
2005 WK 

Yeah, I would say your ball joints are pretty much shot . I would consider getting a set of moog adjustable ball joints instead of replacing the whole upper control arms. Save the cash for other mods. Unless you plan to wheel the crap out of your rig. Other than some minor surface rust, they still look to be in decent shape to me.

The 4xguard belly skid goes in the middle of your front skid and transfer case skid. It covers up your transmission pan and catalytic converters but not your muffler unfortunately. I'd call them before ordering, make sure they have the new wings made. I was the first HEMI to get their newest design (#5). They mocked it up on a CRD and 4.7L. The driver side catalytic converter rubs on the left wing. Marlin said he'd be making up a new set that would be 1/4" wider allowing the clearance we needed. But....I still haven't gotten the new wings for mine yet. I had to space them out using 3-4 washers to make it work.

You also mentioned getting a new muffler. Push that thing as far back and up as you can. That will save it from any major hits it would take. Plus the Borla or Magnaflow mufflers are a lot smaller than that big *** thing thats on there now.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Quote:
Yeah, I would say your ball joints are pretty much shot . I would consider getting a set of moog adjustable ball joints instead of replacing the whole upper control arms. Save the cash for other mods. Unless you plan to wheel the crap out of your rig. Other than some minor surface rust, they still look to be in decent shape to me.

The 4xguard belly skid goes in the middle of your front skid and transfer case skid. It covers up your transmission pan and catalytic converters but not your muffler unfortunately. I'd call them before ordering, make sure they have the new wings made. I was the first HEMI to get their newest design (#5). They mocked it up on a CRD and 4.7L. The driver side catalytic converter rubs on the left wing. Marlin said he'd be making up a new set that would be 1/4" wider allowing the clearance we needed. But....I still haven't gotten the new wings for mine yet. I had to space them out using 3-4 washers to make it work.

You also mentioned getting a new muffler. Push that thing as far back and up as you can. That will save it from any major hits it would take. Plus the Borla or Magnaflow mufflers are a lot smaller than that big *** thing thats on there now.
Ya they are pretty bad, I'll look into some adjustable ones. Probably help with the alignment too.
Are they weaker than non-adjustable ones? Or the same?

Ah yes I assumed it was a transfer case skid and extended to the muffler I swear I saw one that did that too somewhere

So with the 4xg belly skid does it allow me to keep the transfer case plate?

On the website they don't show it for sale I will have to give them a call and see if they made the adjustments to the wings yet. It looks promising
I bet that crossmember is a pretty good anchor in the mud.

And good advice on the muffler location i'll definitely do that, I bet removing
that beast will compensate for the extra weight i'm about to add

Quote:
@ Keeslinger: See there.........put a 4xG belly skid in that mix and you've got solid protection underneath. Add to that a stronger aftermarket rear diff cover/guard and you're good to go.

There are few that are great places to wheel:

SMORR - just outside Springfield
Tuttle Creek - just north of Manhattan
Kansas Rocks - south of town in Mapleton, KS

There's a few others if you are interested look into KCJeepClub.org or the Northlanders Jeep group on FB
I'll check out those sites and look up those places, it's been awhile since I had anything capable of any off road activities.

I'd be willing to make a trip out somewhere better than here, it would probably be worth it for the view. Although a local trail would be more convenient.

Is the 4xg the only diff cover available?

I see empty pockets in my near future
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeslinger31 View Post
Ya they are pretty bad, I'll look into some adjustable ones. Probably help with the alignment too.
Are they weaker than non-adjustable ones? Or the same?
I don't believe they would be any weaker than the stock ones, if anything they look a lot stouter IMO. I'm planning to get some when mine eventually go out. Here's a link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...128&cc=1430899

Quote:

On the website they don't show it for sale I will have to give them a call and see if they made the adjustments to the wings yet. It looks promising
I bet that crossmember is a pretty good anchor in the mud.
The belly skid shares the cross member bolts that the transfer case skid uses. They will butt up right next to each other just fine. It will bring everything down flush so you won't even know that the crossmember is there anymore. It should still up for sale on their website, maybe you were looking in the wrong spot. Here's a link to the sales page and better pics of it: http://4xguard.com/grand-cherokee-20...y-guard-5.html
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
JeepN4KC

Quote:

Is the 4xg the only diff cover available?

I see empty pockets in my near future
Yes the 4xG fits with the Mopar tcase and front diff skids - this is what I run. I ended up getting a Saguaro tcase skid adapter plate because I do not have the full on factory fuel skid. The steel "skin" over the fuel tank has sufficed and I have been in some pretty good places with the WK.

If you have a 12 bolt rear diff (QDII) I think 4xG is your only option for a guard - but don't quote me on that.

If you have a 10 bolt rear diff (QTII) I'd definitely go with a Solid Axle Industries Chrysler 8.25 cover.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Quote:
Yes the 4xG fits with the Mopar tcase and front diff skids - this is what I run. I ended up getting a Saguaro tcase skid adapter plate because I do not have the full on factory fuel skid. The steel "skin" over the fuel tank has sufficed and I have been in some pretty good places with the WK.

If you have a 12 bolt rear diff (QDII) I think 4xG is your only option for a guard - but don't quote me on that.

If you have a 10 bolt rear diff (QTII) I'd definitely go with a Solid Axle Industries Chrysler 8.25 cover.
It's QD2 as it was one of the things I absolutely had to have when looking at wk's and watching vids of wheeling with it, it impressed me

I saw a picture of a dented rear diff cover and don't want that to happen far from home if it leaked or hit the ring gear

Quote:
I don't believe they would be any weaker than the stock ones, if anything they look a lot stouter IMO. I'm planning to get some when mine eventually go out. Here's a link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...128&cc=1430899

The belly skid shares the cross member bolts that the transfer case skid uses. They will butt up right next to each other just fine. It will bring everything down flush so you won't even know that the crossmember is there anymore. It should still up for sale on their website, maybe you were looking in the wrong spot. Here's a link to the sales page and better pics of it: http://4xguard.com/grand-cherokee-20...y-guard-5.html
Yes those do look strong
I guess its worth it since mine look like they could break at any time now.
And I couldn't justify spending 500 on control arms from jba since I could replace the ball joints several times with that money.

Weird I couldn't find the belly guard for some reason probably just skipped over it.
I was trying to follow the link from the gallery and it wouldn't work for me
So thanks for the link! I'm going to email them and ask about the wings I guess just to be sure.

I had a whole paragraph typed up asking about some other 4xg stuff but after
some reading it looks like i'm just going to get all of it as it's cheap insurance

I see some trail grapplers in my future as well had them on a silverado 2500 and they were awesome thinking 285/70/17s but I'll have to wait till I wear out these general's

My first move is going to be these ball joints as thats a safety issue if anything.

Then the belly guard and a muffler and all the little things I mentioned in the first post mostly appearance not a fan of all this chrome stuff since it's not actually real,
I will probably keep the chrome under the windows as it's actually stainless and not plastic.

After that I'll start splurging at 4xg for some protection

You guys have been really helpful

I'd say the mod bug has officially bitten me If i hadn't already been infected
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Installed a new chrome piece on the rear

Took a few others while I had the camera out

Love the grey

Unread 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:

I wonder if anyone has contacted Solid Axle about making a Diff cover for us 12 bolt folks?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.