JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   K&n Fipk (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/k-n-fipk-310498/)

SYCOHEMI 08-31-2006 11:43 PM

K&n Fipk
 
Here are some pictures of the K&N FIPK, perhaps one of the first installed on the 5.7L HEMI for the Commander:

Factory Stuff:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_2801.jpg

The new kit:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_2802.jpg

Sounds great so far, and feels pretty good too. More details later, after I get a chance to try it out a bit.

JeepRig 09-01-2006 12:15 AM

Hey Sycho I sent you a PM from the OC :D

HawkeyeWJ 09-01-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
Here are some pictures of the K&N FIPK, perhaps one of the first installed on the 5.7L HEMI for the Commander:

Factory Stuff:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_2801.jpg

The new kit:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_2802.jpg

Sounds great so far, and feels pretty good too. More details later, after I get a chance to try it out a bit.

Looks good! Make sure to save the OEM parts...down the road that loud FIPK can become annoying and you never know when you may want to switch back.

SYCOHEMI 09-01-2006 11:07 AM

Good point. I will save the big bulky OEM parts. I have a small self storage unit for all my leftover OEM parts after mods. I used to toss all that stuff, but like you said, you just never know.

How long have you had your FIPK on your 4.7L? How do you like it? Please post a pic if you have it, so we can compare the design.

HawkeyeWJ 09-01-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
Good point. I will save the big bulky OEM parts. I have a small self storage unit for all my leftover OEM parts after mods. I used to toss all that stuff, but like you said, you just never know.

How long have you had your FIPK on your 4.7L? How do you like it? Please post a pic if you have it, so we can compare the design.

I bought my WJ new in July 2002 and put the FIPK on about 3 mos. into owning it. It felt "snappier" i guess you could say and it seemed like I was gaining some slight power, but nothing major. I am about dead even now with an HO 4.7, which s/b about right according to the dyno gain claims...

I tell you though, after I installed it and took it for the first test drive I about crapped myself when I hit the gas hard for the first time!! I wasn't aware that adding the FIPK was going to make it so much louder! I was SURE I had done something wrong/broke something.

It's a little louder than I'd like but in the end I think it was a nice mod. Just cleaned and oiled it about 3 weeks ago. :thumbsup:
I will snap a pic of it this weekend and post on Tuesday when I get back to work...yes, work is the only place i surf JeepForum :D

jeep_on 09-01-2006 07:55 PM

That looks awesome! It took K&N long enough to get it on the market. Now I wish I still worked for CSK. XK owners asked all the time if the kit was on the market. If I was still there I could now sell it and get my commission too.

I put my FIPK on the night my current WJ came home. That was about the only thing that was in one peace that I was able to take off my 99 WJ after the FORD incident… Love it. My ZJ’s got one as well. I love the sound they make. Makes the V8 sound so much better.

Here the FIPK installed on my WJ.

http://webpages.charter.net/rmsjr/jeep/DSC_1409.JPG

SYCOHEMI 09-01-2006 11:09 PM

And to think. K&N had my Commander back in November 2006, when they used it to develop the Prototype FIPK.

Gibson let me drive off with the exhaust after they test fitted it, which was cool.

It took forever for me to get the FIPK...But they are thorough with article testing and certification. At least we know K&N didn't rush it to market.

jeep_on 09-01-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
And to think. K&N had my Commander back in November 2006, when they used it to develop the Prototype FIPK.

Gibson let me drive off with the exhaust after they test fitted it, which was cool.

It took forever for me to get the FIPK...But they are thorough with article testing and certification. At least we know K&N didn't rush it to market.

Thats awesome! Hope K&N gave you the kit too. So when I go to install this kit on some ones Jeep I could be looking at your XK's engine in the install manual. Nice. :thumbsup:

zim 09-02-2006 08:48 AM

What is the difference between the one you have and the 77 series
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=77-1549KP
WHat is the price difference and why did you choose the one you did?

Thanks

SYCOHEMI 09-02-2006 10:56 AM

Although the 77 looks nice and pretty, the dyno'ed performance gains tend to be higher on the standard kits.

The difference is the main tube material.

The plastic allows more design flexibility in wall thicknesses, among other things, and results, as I understand it, are generally superior than the metal tubes, in this application, as well as many applications.

The plastic tubes are also cheaper. So, seems like a lot of advantages, but maybe not as much "bling factor."

I don't know what either product costs.

SYCOHEMI 09-02-2006 11:02 AM

Hey Jeep On,

Not sure if you will see my engine in the manual or not. Since sometimes it looks like this (not sure what it looked like when K&N had it):

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_2105.jpg

jeep_on 09-02-2006 11:30 AM

LOL, well if K&N did take pics of your XK, I'm sure they cleaned it up. :p

I really do like the look of that FIPK installed in there. Looks alot cleaner. :thumbsup:

HawkeyeWJ 09-05-2006 09:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Looks like someone added some WJ pics already, but here are a few I snapped after work on Friday... Seeing these reminds me I could stand to hose down the motor.:o

Attachment 20105

Attachment 20106

Attachment 20108

SYCOHEMI 09-05-2006 11:07 PM

Thanks for the pics. It's nice to have the comparison.

odell 09-05-2006 11:46 PM

Thanks for the pics SCYOHEMI. Did you have any trouble with idle after the install? On my truck it died once right after I put the FIPK on but once the computer "learned" there was more air flow, no trouble, just more fun. It gave me a lot more throttle response on my truck. btw, good to know K&n's is finally available.


The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.