Just installed my 4xGuard Matrix HC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Just installed my 4xGuard Matrix HC

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Just installed my 4xGuard Matrix HC

Well, I just installed my 4xGuard Matrix HC. Took 3 hours, but should have taken less than 2.
I'll post pics later as I'm soon going to work.

The only complaints that I have are the thin paint job and that they supplied hex-head bolts instead of the button-head bolts mentioned in the directions.

The reason for taking 1 hour longer than necessary was trying to find a wrench that would fit inside the cross-member to hold the nut in order to torque the bolt down. An 11/16 flare-nut wrench did the trick as it was bent at the needed angle.

Also they have you mount the main unit then add the hoop then add the brush rails. Each time loosening nuts and rolling forward the main unit. I just put them all together at one time, then attached the entire thing to the mounting brackets.

tools used ...
11/16 flare-nut wrench
5/8, 3/4, 9/16, 11/16, 15mm sockets and wrenches
torque wrench
vice grips

Over all an easy job.

Pictures @ post #15

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |

Last edited by wookiee; 06-19-2011 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Can't wait for pics
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Mainsail
2005 WK 

I thought it was pretty easy but the directions needed a LOT of work. In the end I just tossed them aside and figured it out myself.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
maxst2
2006 WK 

Search for them on facebook, and let them know that the directions need some polishing. They are active on their page, so im sure it'll get noticed.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Search for them on facebook, and let them know that the directions need some polishing. They are active on their page, so im sure it'll get noticed.
I don't do facebook.
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

I was planning on making some corrections and sending it to them, but they have way better directions on their site. Why they don't include them with the parts is beyond me.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
Unread 12-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

In order to re-use the oem tow hooks, you'll need 4 M12-1.75 bolts 2-1/2 inches long.
Unread 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

PICS?!?! Gah!
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
ElCid
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
I was planning on making some corrections and sending it to them, but they have way better directions on their site. Why they don't include them with the parts is beyond me.
We're glad to hear that the new instructions on our website were an improvement. Revisions were very much needed, but we've been so busy with new product design that we only recently got them updated.

Boxes that were already packed before the revisions may still have the old instructions. This was probably the case for you. The new instructions will be going out with any boxes that are packed now.

We truly appreciate that you were willing to make corrections on the old ones. And of course if there are problems with the new ones we need to hear that, too. I can tell you that writing instructions is surprisingly hard to do: We live with these products every day, so it's hard for us to judge what needs to be said and how it should be said.

Getting independent customer feedback helps us a great deal!
ElCid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
CmmdrDan

where are the pics!! pics or
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
We're glad to hear that the new instructions on our website were an improvement. Revisions were very much needed, but we've been so busy with new product design that we only recently got them updated.

Boxes that were already packed before the revisions may still have the old instructions. This was probably the case for you. The new instructions will be going out with any boxes that are packed now.

We truly appreciate that you were willing to make corrections on the old ones. And of course if there are problems with the new ones we need to hear that, too. I can tell you that writing instructions is surprisingly hard to do: We live with these products every day, so it's hard for us to judge what needs to be said and how it should be said.

Getting independent customer feedback helps us a great deal!
I would suggest including a small photo or line drawing of each part with the part number. On two of my parts I never could locate the part number to which the directions referred. That made it frustrating to figure out which part the directions were talking about.

As an aside, some QC wouldn't hurt either. My hoop has a big gouge. The packing is, however, exceptional. Overall, I'm very pleased with all of the parts I've gotten so far, and looking forward to the release of the new Rear-Guard.
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
ElCid
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
I would suggest including a small photo or line drawing of each part with the part number. On two of my parts I never could locate the part number to which the directions referred. That made it frustrating to figure out which part the directions were talking about.

As an aside, some QC wouldn't hurt either. My hoop has a big gouge. The packing is, however, exceptional. Overall, I'm very pleased with all of the parts I've gotten so far, and looking forward to the release of the new Rear-Guard.
Thanks for the feedback, Mainsail. We can't seem to have enough visuals, I think!

Sorry to hear about that hoop. There was a period a number of months ago when we had a few items getting nicked in the warehouse, and we had to roll heads because things like that weren't getting caught at the packing stage (which is where the final round of QC should occur).

If this kind of thing does ever happen again, please do contact us immediately. Try as we might, mistakes can happen and we can't always know about them (and thus fix them) if you don't let us know.

BTW, I personally love your addition of rubber bumpers on the Matrix. After I saw the pics I got some to play with on my test rig.
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Mainsail. We can't seem to have enough visuals, I think!

Sorry to hear about that hoop. There was a period a number of months ago when we had a few items getting nicked in the warehouse, and we had to roll heads because things like that weren't getting caught at the packing stage (which is where the final round of QC should occur).

If this kind of thing does ever happen again, please do contact us immediately. Try as we might, mistakes can happen and we can't always know about them (and thus fix them) if you don't let us know.

BTW, I personally love your addition of rubber bumpers on the Matrix. After I saw the pics I got some to play with on my test rig.
Pictures please!

I don't have a hi-lift jack so I don't know if using the jacking point on the Matrix with the rubber bumpers would tear them up. The good thing is they're cheap.
Unread 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
ElCid
2006 XK Commander 

Not much to show in pictures, I'm afraid. At the moment the bumpers are sitting on my desk.

The Hi-lift issue is one thing I'll be looking at with them. Another is how they effect the mounting of a winch cradle. And then there are questions of how they might effect some other potential products.

It's just one more thing to play with, you know?
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Don't ban me bro!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.