Just for grins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Just for grins

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
scootter82
2009 WK 

Just for grins

So I was looking for srt8 headers for a swap when I found this site selling 7.0L SRT8 crate engines. So, just for ****s and giggles, what would be the logistics involved in swapping my current 5.7L HEMI to this massive HEMI? They list WK as being compatible...

Edit: And a follow up question, I just found these headers on ebay. What do you guys think of them? Think they'd work well as an upgrade?

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

that stroker looks like a really cool way to spend $20K - don't forget you'll need to re-tune the ECU. They say it will fit your Jeep just fine.

the headers look nice too, and they're a lot cheaper but if you want "618 HorsePower & 595 Ft. lbs. of Torque" you'll need more than just headers
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

the only difference in the 5.7L and the 6.1L is extra cooiling and oil flow through the block, other then that they are very similar. you will most definitely need custom tune from someone like hemifever. and dont forget a built trans and t-case
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Yes, it will all fit in place of a 5.7 but, at a minimum as said above, you'll need to have a CMR tune done on the PCM (must eliminate EGR, adjust A/F ratio, shut off MDS, etc.). Also, the exhaust is good (but a PITA to install/setup), and the transmission won't support that kind of power, so you'd need a beefed up unit....perhaps a Sheradon Stage III (~$3000). You wouldn't have to do the tranny immediately, but it certainly wouldn't withstand too many WOT runs. If I were to do this, I'd find a junk yard 6.1 (probably Cleveland Pick-A-Part) and build it myself (my way...haven't done this in a long time) for probably a little more than half what they're charging. For sure I'd add the MDS lifters/solenoids and retain the MDS (probably use the same cam I already have in it), and probably also make a custom mount for the EGR (reduces combustion temperatures), so I wouldn't have trouble with the "smog police". I'd leave my tranny alone for now (I've already improved it a little), and then eventually pick up a Stage III. I'd have to cut the flanges off my custom tubular headers and have 6.1 flanges welded on and then re-ceramic coated too. Really would be a fun project though.....my kind of stuff. It only takes $$$, and I've pretty much committed (after 4 years of "improvements") to my wife that I'll quit messing with it now.....at least until I can think of something else to do, LOL!!
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.