Just Bought a WK, Now I've Got a Few Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Just Bought a WK, Now I've Got a Few Questions

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
GoldCherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just Bought a WK, Now I've Got a Few Questions

Not new to Jeeps, but new to WK's. I just bought the wife a WK to replace her wrecked XJ, it's an 05 5.7 Limited 4x4 QDII with 100k miles on it. I purchased it from a Honda dealer, and I've got no service records on it other than the CarFax. Anyways, I've had a couple of small issues pop up in the week or so that we've owned it. I've done a few searches, but nothing really popped up immediately.

1. The right rear door will not open from the inside. The inside handle isn't broken, and the door will open just fine with the exterior handle. Is there a piece that is known to break and cause this? I didn't see child locks on the doors. I've only had a few minutes in the dark to look at it.

2. It's getting what seems to be terrible MPG. I know it's a Hemi and whatnot, but the first tank got 12.6mpg hand calculated. That was about a 50/50 mix of city and highway. Is there anything that typically fails to cause a MPG loss? I'm sure it needs a tune up, and I have no idea if the plugs/coils have ever been replaced. Other than plugs/wires, what else would cause such a loss?

3. Is there an easy way to make sure the cylinder deactivation system is properly working? The dealer I bought it from changed the oil, and the receipts that I have show 5w20 went into it. I plan to change it soon to put synthetic back in it, but it shouldn't be hindering the MDS system.

Thanks for any help in advance, I'm sure I'm going to get to know this Jeep just as well as the XJ.

GoldCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Have you checked the child lock on number 1?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Shafer57
2006 WK 

12.6MPG is about what to expect. Most everyone on here w/ the Hemi gets ~14 combined. So I'd do plugs to confirm you're getting a good spark too.

Look through the search function for MDS "ON" Light write-ups. There's a few, and it basically is a small light you wire up to come on whenever MDS is active.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
DanG28

The best way to improve fuel economy in every vehicle is an adjustment in driving habits. I'm not assuming you drag race from red light to red light, but try slowing your highway speeds by 5 mph, make a conscious effort to coast A LOT, bump your tire pressure up, etc. It seems like everyone wants to drive 80 mph AND get great fuel economy. You can have one or the other, and I always choose fuel economy. (I drive 50-55 mph highway)
DanG28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
GoldCherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
12.6MPG is about what to expect. Most everyone on here w/ the Hemi gets ~14 combined. So I'd do plugs to confirm you're getting a good spark too.

Look through the search function for MDS "ON" Light write-ups. There's a few, and it basically is a small light you wire up to come on whenever MDS is active.
I guess I should have known better, it IS a Jeep with a V8 afterall. Although, I was only hoping for numbers closer to 15/16 mixed. I'll do plugs/wires/coilpacks and see where that puts me.

At least I have some good news, I was able to fix the interior door handle fairly easily. I didn't see the child lock lever in the dark when I looked for it, but it's right there plain as day when it's light outside. (Blue jeep/black lever). But, it was on, and now it's off and everything works just fine again.

Thanks for the help guys!
GoldCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.