Just bought my first "Jeep", 08 WK, Hitch question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Just bought my first "Jeep", 08 WK, Hitch question?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
gemiller
2008 WK 

Just bought my first "Jeep", 08 WK, Hitch question?

I just bought my first jeep, an 08 WK 3.0CRD with 40k miles, it doesn't have a hitch and I am going to order one today. However, I'm not sure where to look to see if I need the wiring harness that has the factory 7 way or the one that does not. It is a Laredo model if that matters.

Hope to learn a lot here on the forum!

gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemiller
I just bought my first jeep, an 08 WK 3.0CRD with 40k miles, it doesn't have a hitch and I am going to order one today. However, I'm not sure where to look to see if I need the wiring harness that has the factory 7 way or the one that does not. It is a Laredo model if that matters.

Hope to learn a lot here on the forum!
Before you do anything with the hitch you need to make sure the engine has been taken care of by the previous owner.....

1) you need to make sure you have the updated air intake pipe.....Check to see if the seal attached to the turbo is orang..orange = bad.

2) I personally would do an oil change using 229.51 oil...Napa sells Mobil 1 esp. Wrong oil and you risk premature failure of the DPF.

3) search the forum for swirl motor fixes...I would purchase the GDE tune which eliminates the swirl motor while giving you more hp/torque and better fuel economy. It is $750 for the tune, but considering the price of a new swirl motor worth it.

4) there is the swirl motor resistor fix as well

Back yo your hitch question...I am surprised your CRD does not have the factory hitch....try looking at the drivers side rear near the spare tire for wiring.

Welcome...the CRD is a great engine
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
colinzj
2006 WK 

The harness comes in a 4-way and a 7-way configuration. Which one you want is totally a matter of personal preference and what you plan to tow.

If you'll ever need a 7-way connector (anything more than a podunk U-haul trailer), get the 7-way.
If you're certain you'll only ever need the 4-way, get the 4-way.

7-way can also be used with 6-way, 4-way, and military equipment with adapters. 4-way can only be used with 4-way equipment, but you don't have to keep track of adapters.
Unread 07-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
gemiller
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Before you do anything with the hitch you need to make sure the engine has been taken care of by the previous owner.....

1) you need to make sure you have the updated air intake pipe.....Check to see if the seal attached to the turbo is orang..orange = bad.

2) I personally would do an oil change using 229.51 oil...Napa sells Mobil 1 esp. Wrong oil and you risk premature failure of the DPF.

3) search the forum for swirl motor fixes...I would purchase the GDE tune which eliminates the swirl motor while giving you more hp/torque and better fuel economy. It is $750 for the tune, but considering the price of a new swirl motor worth it.

4) there is the swirl motor resistor fix as well

Back yo your hitch question...I am surprised your CRD does not have the factory hitch....try looking at the drivers side rear near the spare tire for wiring.

Welcome...the CRD is a great engine
Thanks for the advise, I'll definitely look into everything. Where is the seal on the air intake pipe to look for it?

Also, I know the difference between the 4 and the 7, i'm saying though, that the one harness says it's for vehicles with the factory 7 way harness.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/electri...s-c-30_33.html

I don't know how to tell which one of the two harnesses i need since I don't know where the factory 7 way would be located.
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
gemiller
2008 WK 

I'm thinking it doesn't have the factory 7 way because the only thing I see under driver side rear is a two prong plug and nothing else.
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I think the idea is that you may have the wire harness tucked away under there ready to go for the socket. And FYI, the factory setup comes with both the 7 and 4 wire sockets
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemiller View Post
I'm thinking it doesn't have the factory 7 way because the only thing I see under driver side rear is a two prong plug and nothing else.
Look for a receptacle behind a trim panel.
My 07 CRD came with a hitch... BUT.... I bought a hitch and harness for my 2000 Grand Cherokee and installed it. It was pre-wired for a 7 plug but would adapt to a 4 plug if you bought the right harness. The connector was located underneath the driver side rear window behind the trim panel. I had to raise the tail gate and start removing various trim until I could get the panel off. It was pretty easy. As I recall, there was a knock out plastic plug through which I had to run the new harness. I just passed the new harness through the hole and plugged it into the receptacle that was already there. Not cutting or splicing was required.

I bought my hitch online from some place that specialized hitches and they had the correct harness in stock. I don't remember the place....sorry.

If you plan of towing an RV trailer, go with the 7 for sure.

Dittos to everything Scotr29 had to say. At 40K you are about due for a swirl motor failure unless the issue has been fixed. Mine went out around 58K and I replaced the swirl motor, then a year later discovered the GDE Tune. Now I have a new SM that just sits there turned off.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.