The Journey To 500,000 and Beyond - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > The Journey To 500,000 and Beyond

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
didimauw
2005 WK 

The Journey To 500,000 and Beyond

Hey guys.
I have owned my jeep since 1/15/2014. It's an 05 WK with the 3.7. After being a member here since i bought the jeep, i have dreamed of building it. Due to lack of funds, and the fact that I drive so much, that's not going to happen. So instead of a build thread, I'm creating more of a Mileage/Maintenance thread. (Let's see how far i can go) type thing.

Ill probably only be updating once a month, but this should be interesting.

I have been working for a realty company as a field inspector since April 2014.
For my job, on average I have been driving 200 miles every day, 5 days a week (Sometimes 150, sometimes 300) Usually 3-4 hours a day...sitting in my jeep
I get fully reimbursed for all of my gas. But all wear and tear.... yeah that's on me

Jeep purchased 1/15/2014 with 82,812 miles.
Today's ending mileage 10/7/2014 -- 119,614

It has been an amazing vehicle so far.

Only things I have replaced--

- Rear tailgate struts
- Sway bar links and bushings ( Turns out, didn't even need them)
- Pcv valve (why not)
- Air filter
- Spark plugs at around 100000 ( original plugs it seemed :S )
- Radiator (over temp at idle)
- Oil and Filter Obviously ( Mobil 1 High Mileage and Napa Platinum Filters)

I still need to replace my heater core. I have gone through countless gallons of coolant in the past 2 months. Tried K-Seal. Worked great! ...for 2 weeks.
Then mysteriously my radiator stopped working....Stupid K-seal... Long story short? I have bypassed the heater core... It makes for cold mornings. Hopefully replacing it this weekend.

Oh yeah--- pictures

Needs a nickname still too...
Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading

Any questions, tips, comments, feel free

20141002_180457.jpg

20141007_214619.jpg

didimauw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
OM642WK
2007 WK 

Looking forward to your updates.
OM642WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
chevra
2008 WK 

This will be a very cool thread to watch. Be able to see what a stock Jeep requires with just everyday driving. You can look on the forums and see what modified WKs have been pushed through and the problems they have had but not many like this. You are for sure the guy for the job putting on miles like that ha. Will be watching! I hope you keep it for a long time to see how many miles you can really get out of it.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

interesting to see how far this thing goes, thats alot of driving but nothing that will be taxing on the WK. change all your fluids and keep your maintenance up and youll be fine.. my 2007 has 138k on it and i drive mine daily, lol nowhere near the mileas you do but around 40-50 a day.
Unread 10-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
The_War_Wagon
2007 XK Commander 

Wow... I thought you already HAD 500,000 miles on it, by the thread title!

I... would go... INSANE!!! With a 3.7 for 500k miles. I would take a wrench, remove the engine by HAND - piece BY piece - and drop in the 392 crate HEMI, as soon as I scrimped every penny necessary to get it!!!

FWIW, the 392 crate HEMI is MY answer to most of life's problems. YMMV.
Unread 10-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
Wow... I thought you already HAD 500,000 miles on it, by the thread title!

I... would go... INSANE!!! With a 3.7 for 500k miles. I would take a wrench, remove the engine by HAND - piece BY piece - and drop in the 392 crate HEMI, as soon as I scrimped every penny necessary to get it!!!

FWIW, the 392 crate HEMI is MY answer to most of life's problems. YMMV.
Hahaha, I feel you man. I really want to keep my jeep for as long as possible. I'm only sitting right under 100,000 miles right now. But it's been my plan the whole time, to keep her nice and clean, and hopefully when my hemi takes its last crap there will be more knowledge and resources for engine swaps on our model. Right now, it's not performed very often and not much info to be found. But overtime I'm sure that will slowly change. And I really REALLY, want to make this a toy with a big block years down the road. I would settle for an srt8 6.1 swap.

As for OP, good luck. Keep us updated.
I would cry if I had to put that many miles on my baby everyday.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Great thread. I look forward to following your posts. Let us know how hard it is to replace the heater core as I know that will be in my future sometime soon.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

I was thinking a CRD, but a 392 works as well!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
ColoradoGrand05
2005 WK 

And I thought my 200 miles a week was bad.

I'm currently at 171k and only non-routine things have been strut replacement on all tires ($310) and now a coolant leak somewhere that I'm not looking forward to fixing.

Good luck, OP.

Colorado Jeep club #288
ColoradoGrand05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
unobtanium
2010 WK 

I don't think it's worth it. You will have to replace everything except possibly the motor, and it will only be by the grace of whatever god you worship if THAT lasts. Why spend 10X what the vehicle is worth? Are you a Chrysler dealer and trying to make a promo of this? If not...why?
Unread 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Hes just a guy with a wk that drives alot.
I'm sure he will get rid of it if it becomes too much of a money pit but id love to see it work out for him!
Unread 10-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeslinger31 View Post
Hes just a guy with a wk that drives alot.
I'm sure he will get rid of it if it becomes too much of a money pit but id love to see it work out for him!
Fair enough. I'm curious what dies/what doesn't, but a sample of one makes it more of a "personal journey" than anything mechanically applicable.

I think pictures of where he takes it would be the more enjoyable part

*This is me at the Grand Canyon*
*This is me at Yellowstone*
*This is where I slave for wages*
*etc.*

All with the Jeep in the background. It would make the trip to 500K memorable, if nothing else.
Unread 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
modernblueWK

I put similar miles on my work vehicles (charger pursuit). 150-300 mi per day. Works out to about 50,000 mi per year. Most common issue is brakes and tires. We drive fast though. Amazing how tough the merc trans is in these chargers. Never skip a beat. Motor mounts not so tough.

I would imagine the spark plugs and fluids would be your saviors on this journey. Electronics might be your enemy. Lets hope the previous owner took good care of the oily bits.

A fleet longevity test on the new 3.6 /8spd would be interesting too.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
didimauw
2005 WK 

No I am not a Chrysler dealer, lol. Just curious to see how far this thing goes with my new job. And yes, if it becomes not worth fixing, ill buy something else. I do plan on buying one with a hemi some day. I thought of taking pictures of every town I enter, but I'm too far behind for that. The only things i have taken pictures of is some of the evictions that i go to, and animals that i see, that i don't see every day.

Here was my day today in miles, along with the odometer. Just to show that my miles are true.

Other than this, I'll probably just update either every week or month.
Next I'll have to take pictures of my mobile jeep office, along with the interior.

It just occurred to me that my seat is starting to wear out quickly. (It was not great when i bought it.)
But on average I enter/exit my jeep around 15-30 times every day.
20141008_173513.jpg

didimauw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
road_tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by didimauw View Post
It just occurred to me that my seat is starting to wear out quickly. (It was not great when i bought it.)
But on average I enter/exit my jeep around 15-30 times every day.
if I was putting that many miles (hours) in the seat, I would definitely buy some 'more comfy' seats than the stock WK seats. They are really horrible, unless you never turn or take curves faster than 1st gear idle.

maybe srt seats are better?
road_tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.