jeep xk starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > jeep xk starting issue

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 07-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
Mattc123456

jeep xk starting issue

I have a 2006 commander. Randomly when I get in it wont start almost like battery is dead. it clicks then nothing. If I turn key 2-3 times it fires right up. This happens once maybe twice a week. Not sure how old battery is but I charged it. Seems like the starter is going out . Any suggestion's where to look before I buy a new starter ?

Mattc123456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
marka2k

2006 WK 

On the 5.7l motor (not sure about others) there is a Yellow signal wire on the starter with a spade connector, this connector is prone to oxidation and not making good contact. If you are sure your battery is good and it has been checked most likely the starter, if it needs replaced (starter) it is a doable but takes time.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Mattc123456

I have the 3.7 . Im pretty sure battery is good because when I threw it on the charger it charged for 5minutes and was done. Said it was at 97% when I connected it. Can you give me a general idea of where this yellow drive by wire would be?
Unread 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
modernblueWK
Web Wheeler

How oldis the battery? These wk and xk electrical systems are very sensitive to old batteries. If your battery is more than 4 years old it would be a good idea to replace.
Blue WK club #4 Build/Adventure Thread
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Mattc123456

Im not sure I got the jeep about a year ago and cant find a battery date on it anywhere. Im sure its not the original but have no idea when it was replaced. You think that would make it not start randomly? out of 60 key turns it might not start once or twice. its real random
Unread 07-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
modernblueWK
Web Wheeler

It is worth replacing if the jeep wil be with you for awhile. Mine would click then start the second time.
Unread 07-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
marka2k

2006 WK 

The yellow signal wire connects to the starter itself same location as the infamous connector, charging the battery does not tell you if it is good or not if you are pushing four years I would replace it (or at least have it tested) as stated above the Jeeps are picky on having a good battery and will do strange things if it is weak.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
JKM
2005 WK 

Battery test should be a load test. Many parts stores will do this for you. A well priced replacement is available at Walmart. It's a 94R or H7 battery.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Mattc123456

Ill start with checking the wire on the starter. Probably dirty/loose. If my battery was bad I would think it would do other things besides sometimes not start. If it gets worse il try a new battery but im pretty sure mine is ok for now
Unread 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
modernblueWK
Web Wheeler

Funny how many folks come here with starting issues. We suggest a new battery and they always say, "my battery is fine, a battery wouldn't cause those issues."

The battery may not be the issue but it likely is. For some reason the wk electrical architecture is sensitive to batteries that are still good enough for 90% of cars but give the wk issues. I have experienced this in my own wk and read many threads on this forum that are similar. Have you ever seen such a large battery in such a standard seeming vehicle? The big issue is that the battery for the WK is prohibitively expensive so most folks are apprehensive to replace it based solely on the forum's suggestion.

We need a starting issues sticky.

Keep chasing your problem and I hope you resolve it. Make sure the wiring to your starter is clean and tight. Charge your old battery overnight on a good charger don't just keep jumping it. Look up the ignition switch issues too.
Unread 07-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
ryankokesh

Where does that wire terminate? I bought a replacement and I know where it's at on the starter, but haven't been able to find the other end!
ryankokesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
Mattc123456

I checked wire seems fine. Havent had the issue for awhile now so we will see
Unread 07-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
JKM
2005 WK 

almost impossible to see the typical corrosion issue on the yellow wire terminal as the corrosion is often in the crimp (where bare wire is crimped to connector) when the terminal is on the vehicle. Moving the wire around often improves the connection for a while as it displaced the corrosion. If it comes back then likely your issue.

In the meantime it would be a good investment of time to clean all battery connections (at battery, ground to vehicle, ground to engine block, cable at starter and even remove yellow wire on solenoid and clean male terminal). I would cover all connections in die-electric grease when re-assembling.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.