Jeep WK Tire Pressure Light Constantly Blinking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep WK Tire Pressure Light Constantly Blinking

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
vucat13

Jeep WK Tire Pressure Light Constantly Blinking

Two months ago I purchased a 2007 WK with about 50k miles.

On the way home from the dealer, the orange tire pressure warning light on dash started blinking. Often it will blinking for a minute or two, shut off, and come on again later. It does not matter what speed or terrain.

Shortly after purchase I replaced the tires (Goodyear). They needed to be replaced, but that did not solve the problem either.

I took it back to the dealer twice. Believe the second time they said they reset the sensors and aligned the pressure in each tire.

That did not fix it either. One of the service guys gave me a long-winded answer (sounded like BS) that this light comes on in a lot of cars and it should be a problem more in the mornings due to the temperature change. I pointed out to this guy that it comes on at all times of the day and at all temperatures.

Does anyone have any advice for my next move?

The light is really annoying and I want to get it fixed somehow.

THANKS

vucat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check your spare and possibly get the sensor in it replaced. I believe they have one too
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
JRLT
2010 WK 

My spare doesn't have a sensor.

What probably happened is the right wheels with the correct sensors got swapped out at the dealership and they just threw on a set of wheels but doesn't have the correct sensors in them.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucat13 View Post
Two months ago I purchased a 2007 WK with about 50k miles.

On the way home from the dealer, the orange tire pressure warning light on dash started blinking. Often it will blinking for a minute or two, shut off, and come on again later. It does not matter what speed or terrain.

Shortly after purchase I replaced the tires (Goodyear). They needed to be replaced, but that did not solve the problem either.

I took it back to the dealer twice. Believe the second time they said they reset the sensors and aligned the pressure in each tire.

That did not fix it either. One of the service guys gave me a long-winded answer (sounded like BS) that this light comes on in a lot of cars and it should be a problem more in the mornings due to the temperature change. I pointed out to this guy that it comes on at all times of the day and at all temperatures.

Does anyone have any advice for my next move?

The light is really annoying and I want to get it fixed somehow.

THANKS
A jeep dealer , or any shop for that matter should have been able to figure out whats wrong pretty easily as any fault or low pressure will flag a code .. but i would Definitely check your spare pressure and make sure the values are close to what is written on the tire placard located on the drivers door or pillar ( should be 33 or 35psi i think) when i bought my wk i had a tpms fault which was caused by an over-inflated tire. here's the info from the owners manual if you don't have

TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM
Tire Pressure Monitoring — Base System
The Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPM) system uses
wireless technology with wheel rim mounted electronic
sensors to monitor tire pressure levels. Sensors, mounted
to each wheel as part of the valve stem, transmit tire
pressure readings to the Receiver Module.
NOTE: It is particularly important, for you to check the
tire pressure in all of your tires regularly and to maintain
the proper pressure.
The “Tire Pressure Monitoring Indicator Lamp”
will illuminate in the instrument cluster, and an
audible chime will be activated when one or more
tire pressures is low. The “Tire Pressure Monitoring
Indicator Lamp” will flash on and off for ten seconds
when a system fault is detected. The flash cycle will
repeat every ten minutes or until the fault condition is
removed and reset.
The Tire Pressure Monitoring System consists of the
following components:
• Receiver Module
• 5 Wheel Sensors (including Full Size Spare Tire)
• Amber Colored Tire Pressure Monitoring Indicator
Lamp
The system will consist of tire pressure monitoring
sensors attached to each wheel through the valve stem
mounting hole, a central receiver module and an amber
STARTING AND OPERATING 269
colored Indicator Lamp. A sensor is located in the spare
wheel if the vehicle is equipped with a matching full size
spare wheel and tire assembly.
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
JeepCares

Just an FYI - you can download an Owner Manual (at no charge) at http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Mine used to blink all of the time too and it was bc of my iPhone charger. It was messing with the frequency.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
black_06_WK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
Mine used to blink all of the time too and it was bc of my iPhone charger. It was messing with the frequency.
Yep. Mine does this too when my GPS is plugged into the outlet.
black_06_WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
GregK340
2007 WK 

If the light is flashing, it means there's a problem with the system. It's not reading one or more of the sensors. Could be a problem with one of the sending units in the tires, could be a problem with one of the receiving units mounted near the wheel wells. or in the wiring coming off the receiving units, sometimes while doing tires or brakes these wires get broken. On an 07, the sensors don't need to be "reset". A flashing light means a system problem not a tire pressure problem, although now you have to check tire pressure yourself because the system isn't working.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK340 View Post
although now you have to check tire pressure yourself because the system isn't working.
Man can't have that now can we
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Burtman88
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have to replace the sensor then i would recommend parts bin. com i put my jeep stats in and ended up paying 30 with shipping for the sensor. The first one i broke i took it to many places and was told over 100 dollars each time. I freaked out because when i had it installed they warned me that it was a gm part and it probably wont work. I gave it a day and it ended up detecting the sensor which is great for only 30 dollars.

00 WJ

09 WK Hemi, 2.5 inch Rc lift, Super chips,Gibson 3 inch catback, rough country spacers, Voolant Cai,lockpik, Falken Wild peak At 265/70R-18
Burtman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

i'm starting to feel the 2007s are getting to the end of the sensor life.

From mile 1 I've had an intermittent (once every few months) loss-of-sensor, but my EVIC lets me see all the pressures so I can easily tell that I don't have a flat and exactly which sensor is out..

But recently I've started losing multiple sensors.. driving back from a mini-vacation in Maine this weekend, at one point three sensors were AWOL.. I'm wondering if the internal batteries are giving out.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
oducks12
2005 WK 

Mine was constantly blinking...broke the valve stem off on a rock and that was the cause
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
nick81

I had this problem on my 2005 WK a couple of years ago.

Problem for me was solved by replacing 2 of the sensors.

To Diagnose, I simply chose one tire and deflated it to 15 lbs.
then i started the car, if the light came on solid, I knew that sensor was good because it reported a low tire. Finally to confirm, I would re-inflate to the proper Psi and watch the light go back to blinking indicating the sensor was in proper working order. Then I would move onto the next tire.

Using the process of elimination, I determined my 2 rear tires needed new sensors. Got them online for $45 each and had the tire shop down the street replace them for like $5 each.

I would try to diagnose yourself and then go back to the dealer. I have learned more on here than most dealers, so I trust them about as far as I can throw them.
nick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
vucat13

thanks for the help - what exactly is the sensor part called?
vucat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucat13 View Post
thanks for the help - what exactly is the sensor part called?
TPMS sensor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.