Jeep Starting Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep Starting Issue

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Offroader221
2005 WK 

Jeep Starting Issue

Hey, I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L.

Everything was fine with my Jeep until I got it inspected (stupid Pennsylvania vehicle inspections). Now intermittently it won't start. The starter will click, I hear the fuel pump, all lights that are supposed to come on upon start up come on but the vehicle won't crank.

From everything I've pieced together online I've read it can be anything from the ignition switch, to the keys along with a ton of other things. I have two keys for the vehicle, the key I use as my primary one has been known to have to problems for the previous owner, however I've used it solely for the last 4 years and never had an issue with it. Either way I've tried both keys when the vehicle won't start and it makes no difference.

I've tried switching relays, checked fuses, tried starting in neutral all make no difference. I replaced the battery like two years ago, and when I tested it the voltage was normal.

While I don't think it's related, my multifunction lever that controls the lights has been giving me some problems, it now clicks every time the steering wheel is turned left, and it has made my trip odometer and information center screen flicker (only once) so I know that needs to be replaced, but could that be related to the starting issue?

I really appreciate any help with this, I'm currently out of state and don't know a good mechanic to take it to and I'm not big on taking my vehicle to mechanics to begin with. It also doesn't help that my other car my Dodge Avenger is out of commission because of a broken oxygen sensor I can't get out, so I really need my Jeep right now.

My Jeep does have 154,000 miles on it, but I do take care of it. This is honestly the first issue I've really had with it.

In regards to the inspection, I honestly don't think anything was done that could affect my starter. The things that needed fixed were brakes, a wheel bearing and my rear axle seals. I trust my mechanic and even called him about this the first time this happened and he tried to help me through finding what the issue was, so I trust the guy. I just don't know what the problem could be.

Again appreciate any help, thanks a bunch.

Offroader221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

9/10 its the starter solenoid connection . Either the connection is corroded or you need a new starter becasue you can't just rplace the solenoid .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Offroader221
2005 WK 

I sorta messed around with the connections on the starter motor and the thing started right up. So as soon as I have more time or I am back home and have my garage again, I'll clean up the connections and hope it's no longer an issue. Thanks for the response, helped a lot.
Offroader221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
JKM
2005 WK 

corrosion is in the crimp at the female terminal of the yellow wire on the solenoid. best solution is to replace the terminal and weatherproof it with some shrink tubing
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.