Jeep Patriot or Commander? which would you get to off road in? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep Patriot or Commander? which would you get to off road in?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
Glock23

Jeep Patriot or Commander? which would you get to off road in?

Just found out about the Patriot now i'm having issues between selecting if i like the commander or the Patriot. Which do you guys think would be the better off roader?

Glock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
05HemiQuadII

If you really want to off road, just bite the bullet and get a Rubicon. Sounds like you want a 4 door, and you're in luck, they make the unlimited now. Probly the best off the showroom floor off-roader available for less than $85K.
05HemiQuadII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Jeepdawgs
Pull fuse #4 !!!!!!!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Patriot or a Commander? There is a heck of a price/size difference between the two. You are basically comparing a Patriot/Compass/Caliber size suv with a Yukon/Expedition/Durango type of suv. There not even close in class. They are both nice in there own ways. If you want to go off roading buy a Wrangler or a used Cherokee. If you want a grocery hauler with lots of room then buy the Commander. If you want good fuel economy and size is of no issue buy the Patriot.
2" Tereflex lift, Rancho Steering Stablizer
Mauser K98 (1941),K31(early 50's), Mosin-Nagant M44 (1946), BUL Impact .45, Ruger Mark2, CZ-50, Marlin .22, Winchester.22
Low Output 4-Cylinder Jeep Club #50
"Dyslexia for cure found"
Jeepdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Better off-roader? I'd have to go with the Commander with either QT-II or QD-II. Both are far superior to the Freedom Drive II, which won't even be released until at least fall. And the QT and QD both have a true low gear, not just a different transmission gear. (Patriot with FD-II has a CVT, so I'm saying tranny figuratively)

Drive both and see which you like.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
SYCOHEMI

Either one probably has strengths and weaknesses.

The Commander looks big, but remains relatively manueverable. Depends also on how difficult you plan to off road. My brother does okay with his Liberty, but he does not have the clearance or confidence that I have in my Commander. But his is stock, and I have a mild lift also.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
troutjeep

how 'bout more of a midsize? Get a wk with QD-II and a v8. will have a better 4x4 system than the patriot and will have almost as much room as the commander w/out all the exterior bulk.
troutjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
jeep_on

This is a real hard decision… I4 or V8? Give me a V8 any day. So it gets 2mpg less, big deal, its a JEEP after all.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
goose1

an XK is not the same size as a Tahoe or Expedition. it is nothing more than a WK redressed and little longer. in all reality, if you were going to compare sizes the XK is closer to an Explorer than anything else. which, by the way, is a midsize. (no offense to the XKers out there-i love the look)

as to which is more capable offroad: i guess it depends on the terrain. the Patriot (sorry don't know the lettered name) has all wheel independent suspension, so i'm thinking if you are doing alot of sand/desert/baja style racing the Patriot would be really good there. kind of like a true mini-hummer.

the XK, well it does have a better low range and with the ELDS would probably be better for trails and small rocks. plus it at least has a solid axle on the rear for decent articulation.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
SYCOHEMI

Go drive both. If you can pass up a HEMI, you are stronger than I. I love the HEMI, it's downright addictive.

Sure, we 5.7L and 4.7L probably all look at the gas mileage occasionally. (Here's a hint: MPG sucks!) But when it's time to go to sleep, it's fun knowing there is a HEMI waiting for you in the morning.

I've been impressed with the Commander offroad...Here it is climbing the Gold Mountain Trail...

This red full size GMC cracked it's oil pan on one of the rocks, but me and my Commander followed it up with no issues, much to the surprise of onlookers.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
SYCOHEMI

Yeah, my last SUV was a supercharged 2001 Tahoe and the size is not even close. The Jeep is much easier and more capable offroad. And it's also more fun to drive on road.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 03-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
siemons

I have a bunch of Jeeps, but I have taken my wife's 2007 Commander all over the place. I lead a group of 19 rigs all over Death Valley on President's Day weekend. That knocked the heck out of the adjuster bolts on the front lower control arms (A-arms). Had boat loads of fun - have to say, and very, very comfortable.

Last weekend, I went out with my Jeep club and did a snow run on the beginning of the Rubicon Trail by Airport Flat. Had a great time - got stuck about 20 times (I think my buddies posted movies up on You Tube) and had to be tugged out. Forded Girlee Creek which was a good 2 to 2-1/2 feet deep. Made for impressive photos.

Honestly though, the Commander - as nice as it is, is a family station wagon. It is not a mighty, mighty 4x4. I gave it a little lift and put rock rails on it - but that's not enough. I would concur with previous posts who mentioned a Rubicon - or get a Wrangler and build it up properly....or a CJ and really go to town (that's my preference).

I have been traveling with one of my fellow club members, and she has done a really nice job building up a Liberty. She has a nice lift and 33" tires, lights, front bumper, winch and racks inside and on top. She does not do really hard core stuff, but she scoots around just fine and has a super time doing it.

Looking underneath a Patriot - I think you would be getting into a lot of trouble taking that too far from pavement.
siemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
SYCOHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05HemiQuadII
If you really want to off road, just bite the bullet and get a Rubicon. Sounds like you want a 4 door, and you're in luck, they make the unlimited now. Probly the best off the showroom floor off-roader available for less than $85K.
What is the best showroom off-roader for $85K?

Just curious...
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 03-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
goose1

MB G-500, although i think it cost more than $85K. The Rangie comes in this price range as well, but i don't really think it is the best off-roader out there. a used H1?

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
05HemiQuadII

I was thinking of the now discontinued LR Defender, used H1, even the RR supercharged with there overcomplicated 4wd system with the "terrain control". And even the MB G-wagen. These all use more complicated systems, which usually cause more problems than they are usually worth.

That being said, I'd rather drive a Rubi or my GC, and be able to also afford a house, gas and insurance, than drive an overpriced emblem around, and be scared to use the damn thing as it was built for. (bad run-on sentence, I know.)
05HemiQuadII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #15
SYCOHEMI

The Land Rover Defender would have been sweet. Now still selling close to what they retailed for 10 years ago.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.