Jeep just shuts off for no reason - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Taul_Paul
2008 WK 

Jeep just shuts off for no reason

Hello Everyone,

One week ago today I was driving my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel around town when it just shut off on me. It happened so fast but what I can remember, if I observed it correctly, is that the ignition just moved to the off position. The dash was now not illuminated. Key became stuck. Jeep would not start. Key would turn left and right but could not be removed. I was driving the Jeep for about 15 min leading up to this with no signs of any problem. Battery is 3 months old.

Towed it to the dealer. They said the ignition broke. They replaced the ignition and gave me two new keys. They also replaced a 20 amp fuse #37 in PDC. It also says they replaced the WIN Module do to shorting. It fixed it I drove it home with no problems. I also had about 4 more 10 mile trips after taking it home with no problems.

Today I was going to take it out. I started it up and about 20 seconds later it shut itself off again. Dash is out again but this time the key was not stuck. Jeep will not restart. When you turn the key it is just dead nothing happens.

My question is what sits on the circuit for fuse #37. Do I need to inspect every thing on this circuit? Something is drawing a lot of current and blowing this fuse. Could it possibly be the WIN/Ignition? Tomorrow I plan to replace the fuse, see if I can get it running, and see if I can read any codes if there are any. A brand new WIN/Ignition should not be blowing this fuse...am I correct?

Recall P57 has been done on this Jeep twice. Once with the old parts, when the new parts were not available. Then again when the new parts had become available. Chrysler acknowledged the problem figured out the fix but needed the oem supplier to make the parts.

On a regular basis when I put the key into this Jeep it is just one key, the fob, nothing else. No key chain So there is not any weight pulling down on to the key.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 05:02 AM
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As with a lot of electrical problems the root cause may be hard to find. Your Jeep isn't all that old, but if it happens while you are driving it may be an exposed wire that grounds out and causes a short. That could blow the fuse. A schematic of that fuse may help you. you can disconnect wire(s) one at a time and try to isolate the problem and go from there. As a precaution it is always a good idea to disconnect your battery while you do these things.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM
moonvan
2008 WK 

I would guess a random wire shorting as well. Does it live outside? maybe a small animal has climbed up in there and started chewing through a wire.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD

post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Taul_Paul
2008 WK 

Yes the Jeep lives out side.

I replaced fuse #37 and it is now running fine. I am just not sure for how long? I am going to keep some 20 amp fuses in the glove box. No check engine light. I need to scan it. I feel like this is a band-aid and not the fix.

Does anyone know what is on that circuit? any info?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.