Jeep Hemi low speed/idle stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep Hemi low speed/idle stalling

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Jeep Hemi low speed/idle stalling

Hey all,
Wanted to get any opinions and pick your brains on why my Jeep likes to, and even after several repairs, still stalls! The last 5 times it has done this it was while I was either at idle or moving approx 5 miles an hour. The rpms drop and then oil lamp light comes on. It will restart in neutral. They initially found 2 bad pins in the PCM and replaced the whole unit and it was fine for about a week and a half. The temp dropped in Ohio this weekend and the issue once again showed up.

So far to date, the following have been replaced:
-Cam sensor, crank sensor, MAP sensor, EGR valve, cleaned throttle body, new PCM, and plugs done around 10k ago.

Any ideas? Would a fouled plug/bad coil pack cause a stall in a HEMI?

Specs:
2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, HEMI 5.7, 77000 miles. Just did oil and filter with 5w 20 oil, mobile one oil.

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
lsuber
2005 WK 

Could be a lot of things, but with our XK 4.7L, a TPS change and a clean air filter (ok, so the one that was in it had sorta been there a while....) has solved it so far. Was going to look into changing the IAC next, but its running much better right now, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

2006 XK Commander, 4.7L V8, 4x4 QTII
lsuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Now on the hemi, i think the tps in integrated into the whole throttle assembly (not replaceable-correct me if I am wrong). Do these go bad over time?
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
WieSeL

Yes have to but the while unit I believe. Stop throwing parts at it and have someone pull pcm data as it is failing.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
mrasnk
2008 WK 

That's what I already tried. It spend 3 weeks at the dealership and they ended up replacing the PCM. I do not think going back will solve anything at this point, the service personnel is clueless.
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
LordEnki
2006 WK 

Transmission fluid level correct?
245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Replace the throttle body, was covered under the power train warranty...drives like brand new now! Had a throttle position issue diagnosed by dealership filing a star report with jeep.
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Still stalling, here is a video of it in the act!

Unread 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
mrasnk
2008 WK 

Problem lies within the transmission. Torque converter is locking in/out incorrectly, therefore causing issues. They pulled the pan, found the valve body had collapsed valves and metal shaving throughout. Torque converter now was also found to be bad. These issues caused the engine to bogg down and stall out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.