Jeep GC Suspension Query - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep GC Suspension Query

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
jayres
2008 WK 

Jeep GC Suspension Query

I have just purchased a 2008 Jeep GC CRD Overland, 71k, with 18" wheels etc.
Immediately I installed the only Bilsteins available for this model. While the difference before and after is truly incredible, the vehicle still has a pronounced side to side motion that is not only unnerving but uncomfortable. I am writing to ask if any one has had any luck with stopping these Jeeps from this motion?
I know one thing that I noticed at once is how high the body sits which lends to a boat-like ride with this rocking motion. Typically one installs tighter springs that also lower the vehicle, but this is usually done to get flatter cornering and my goal is just to stop the nauseating rocking.
The other alternative I investigated is to install a complete air bellows kit from Airbagit, on all 4 corners---cost is only $1,600!
I would love hear back from some members with some ideas.

jayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayres
Immediately I installed the only Bilsteins available for this model. While the difference before and after is truly incredible, the vehicle still has a pronounced side to side motion that is not only unnerving but uncomfortable. I am writing to ask if any one has had any luck with stopping these Jeeps from this motion?
I know one thing that I noticed at once is how high the body sits which lends to a boat-like ride with this rocking motion. Typically one installs tighter springs that also lower the vehicle, but this is usually done to get flatter cornering and my goal is just to stop the nauseating rocking.
The other alternative I investigated is to install a complete air bellows kit from Airbagit, on all 4 corners---cost is only $1,600!
Well you might not want to lift it but the OME HD kit completely took away body roll for me. Couple that with some srt8 or commander front and rear sway bars and the jeep will handle like a beast!
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
TheDemon
2006 WK 

It's a Jeep dude, not a fx35 It's a heavy true SUV built on a truck like suspension, unlike all the hatchbacks they're trying to pass off nowadays as SUVs that are built on car suspensions with zero ground clearance. You could lower it, but that would somewhat defeat the purpose of owning a Jeep, these things are not built for high speed maneuvers.
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayres View Post
I would upgrade to SRT sway bars front and rear.
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
jayres
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
I would upgrade to SRT sway bars front and rear.
Great idea----where would you recommend to buy them??
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayres View Post
I do not have these personally but there are a lot of guys that run them. You can get them directly from you dealer or online from a places like justforjeeps.com I think. I'd recommend you check out Jeep Garage (different forum). There are a lot more "street jeeps" over there and a lot of guys running SRT sway bars who can give you advice. Also, there's addco sway bars that are supposed to be an upgrade from the SRTs and I'm pretty sure you can get those from Kolak, who is a vendor on here.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

You said you just bought it, and mention it being high. Is is possible that it is lifted, AND maybe also have the swaybars removed all together? I put addco bars on my WJ and it made a big difference with body roll
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

id personally go with an addco rear swaybar (order through kolak) and a srt front swaybar (order through justforjeeps.com). also while doing so replace your swaybar links- either with a new set of OEM or spend a couple more extra bucks and get yourself some bwoody swaybar links. all this will definitely make a world of difference in your bodyroll.

a wider tire and maybe a small spacer to widen your track down the road will also help
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I have the SRT8 springs with Bilsteins and it is MUCH better. I even ran only the springs with stock shocks for a short period and must say the springs make a big difference. Slightly lower however by 3/4'' or so.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
I have the SRT8 springs with Bilsteins and it is MUCH better. I even ran only the springs with stock shocks for a short period and must say the springs make a big difference. Slightly lower however by 3/4'' or so.
im so interested in doing this.. i just dont want to sacrifice ground clearance
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Mine only dropped 1/2'' front and 3/4'' rear, not even noticeable, was hoping for more of a drop as I do not do any offroad.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayres
Guess you missed my suggestion in the first post.

Kolak (a vendor here), or eBay.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
jayres
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd View Post
Where did you buy your SRT8 springs? Did you put in all 4?
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Found used on Kijiji from a guy who lowered his SRT8. Yes I put all 4. Check the classifieds on the SRT8 forum you may find some.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Just to keep it cheap, I bet your shocks and struts are wore out. If stock height is what you want I would start with that. Mine we toast my 50k.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.