Jeep is DOA, HELP!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep is DOA, HELP!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkoverland View Post
The r&i (removal and install) shouldn't be too bad if you have some tools.

There is one bolt that holds a small bracket at the bottom of the battery that keeps it in place.
And then the two terminals positive and negative and presto it's out.

If I were closer i'd help you out =)
How far away are you? lol.

dwp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like a dead battery to me.
Mine died recently when i left my lights on. I KILLEd my battery. 20 hours + high beams and what not while off. After I got mine started, it would not hold charge and even stall/shut off the jeep when at idle.

Make sure you are fastening the jumper wires nice and secure. wiggle them a little. (you might see a spark) make sure ground has good ground and positive has good grip. power on the one car, turn off all equipment in the dead car, and wait a moment, then power it on.

same as yrkoverland said. if you were closer to 45701 i'd be out there in a sec. I'm dying for an excuse to go out and do something.... i'm bored.

A new battery shoulder set you back too much $60.00~$100.00
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #18
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

I hope it's the battery and I can get it rectified in the morning. I was planning to take the family out to Pittsburgh for the weekend. May have to reschedule the trip for the following weekend.
Unread 06-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0okami View Post
sounds like a dead battery to me.
Mine died recently when i left my lights on. I KILLEd my battery. 20 hours + high beams and what not while off. After I got mine started, it would not hold charge and even stall/shut off the jeep when at idle.

Make sure you are fastening the jumper wires nice and secure. wiggle them a little. (you might see a spark) make sure ground has good ground and positive has good grip. power on the one car, turn off all equipment in the dead car, and wait a moment, then power it on.

same as yrkoverland said. if you were closer to 45701 i'd be out there in a sec. I'm dying for an excuse to go out and do something.... i'm bored.

A new battery shoulder set you back too much $60.00~$100.00
most lead acid batteries can not recover from a full drain more than once. only deep cycle rated batteries can handle multiple full drain and charge cycles.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #20
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
most lead acid batteries can not recover from a full drain more than once. only deep cycle rated batteries can handle multiple full drain and charge cycles.
true. I got mine replaced with a duralast. (what ever the one they have for 89.00 at autozone.) All problems gone. I was going to go for an optima but i changed my mind since i dont plan on intentionally driving the jeep upside down.
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Well, Chrysler's roadside assistance is giving me a free tow (tow truck is a hour late). I went to the dealership as soon as they opened their doors this morning and spoke with the service dept. manager and he suspected it to be the battery as well. I was hoping to get the Jeep in their hands before he left at noon but thanks to this super late towing company, noon is about to pass. But I hope to have my Jeep back before they close at 4pm today and salvage what is left of the weekend and maybe take the family to Pittsburgh early tomorrow morning and spend the day there.
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Update

Tow truck finally arrived and he jumped started it, it did the clicking at first but it then started up. I had to keep gassing it though to keep it going and as I did the inside lights kept flickering. Once he finished prepping the ramp, and he got into the truck it died. So he jumped it again and it clicked at first start and then started up on the 2nd try again. he kept it on long enough to drive it on the ramp and tow it away. So now I have to wait on the Chrysler/Jeep dealership to work on it. The tow truck driver thinks it's either the battery or alternator that is halfway bad but isn't fully done yet. So let's see what it is and cross our fingers that it's a warranty covered fix.
Unread 06-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
Tow truck finally arrived and he jumped started it, it did the clicking at first but it then started up. I had to keep gassing it though to keep it going and as I did the inside lights kept flickering. Once he finished prepping the ramp, and he got into the truck it died. So he jumped it again and it clicked at first start and then started up on the 2nd try again. he kept it on long enough to drive it on the ramp and tow it away. So now I have to wait on the Chrysler/Jeep dealership to work on it. The tow truck driver thinks it's either the battery or alternator that is halfway bad but isn't fully done yet. So let's see what it is and cross our fingers that it's a warranty covered fix.
yup. its the battery alright. Same symptoms i had last week. shuft off, dimming, Alternator would charge but the battery would not hold the charge so the car would only run on what ever the alternator was putting out above 1000rpm any lower and the volt meter would drop along with "check gauges" light turning on.

be sure to get an itemized receipt from the dealer though. Just to be safe.

A simple battery swap will get you going. however re-reading your description, you dont mention forgetting to turn off lights or anything like that... So yeah there is the possibility of a bad alternator not charging like it should be.
Unread 06-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #24
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Well, they didn't get to it before they closed so I am without my precious commander for the entire weekend. I feel naked without it...lol
Unread 06-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #25
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Got a call from the manager first thing this morning and they said my Jeep is ready and that it was the battery and best of all the repair was "free of charge"
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Got a call from the manager first thing this morning and they said my Jeep is ready and that it was the battery and best of all the repair was "free of charge"

Yes!! Glad to hear it!

I'm in York, PA
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #27
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkoverland View Post
Yes!! Glad to hear it!

I'm in York, PA
Cool, I've been thinking about moving to PA myself. I fell in love with Pittsburgh but if I move I am going where a good job leads me to.
Unread 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #28
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
it was the battery
I told you so.

Good news is that this one is for free. The bad news is that you will now be buying a new one every three years for $160 each on your own tab if you keep the vehicle long term. $80 every six years is usually what I plan for batteries. This is 4X the cost for the XK batteries over time.
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #29
TMJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Our Jeeps take a group 94 battery which is about $140 but a group 49 battery will fit and it is only about $89 dollars plus it has more CCA's than the group 94. The group 49 battery is about 3/8" shorter than the 94, that is about the only difference.
31" BFG A/T
Cibies headlamps, plus 30 bulbs
other than that pretty much stock for now
TMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #30
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJeep View Post
Our Jeeps take a group 94 battery which is about $140 but a group 49 battery will fit and it is only about $89 dollars plus it has more CCA's than the group 94. The group 49 battery is about 3/8" shorter than the 94, that is about the only difference.
Great info on the battery being able to be replaced with a better smaller one.

When I researched ones for my audi the duralast had the best consumer rating for that group.
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.