Jeep is DOA, HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep is DOA, HELP!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Jeep is DOA, HELP!!!

I just got home about half hour ago and I parked in the driveway behind my wife's car and i turned it off. I came back out a few minutes later to move my wife's car up and get the jeep closer and it DIED!! The car won't start and I hear sputtering noises in the dash board. The info center in the speedo keeps saying "parking assistant service center". The battery seems weak since when I lock and unlock the car with the key remote it doesn't beep and the lights are dim. Also the radio has reset itself. Am I facing a serious repair or is there a chance a battery jump will help? I have a 2006 Jeep Commander BTW..

dwp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

If you've got a multimeter, you can check the voltage at the battery terminals. The battery warning light in the dash is useless.

On a 2006, you're pretty darn likely to be due for a new battery.
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

I am the furthest from mechanically inclined. All the indicators come on, my radio stations have reset. Are these traits of a bad battery? Also, I am still within the 36k warranty. Would this repair fall under my factory warranty?
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
kudah

Jump start it and see. If the battery has failed, it is covered. Possibly just needing a jump though
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
Jump start it and see. If the battery has failed, it is covered. Possibly just needing a jump though
We tried jumping it and it didn't work. Should the working vehicle run for a few minutes before I try to start the Jeep or try it right away? Sorry, for the dumb questions I just am not mechanically inclined.
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I had the exact same thing happen on our XK a couple months ago. The battery is dead. I put a new one in, and it worked perfectly. The battery was $160. That was way more than I expected.
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
We tried jumping it and it didn't work. Should the working vehicle run for a few minutes before I try to start the Jeep or try it right away? Sorry, for the dumb questions I just am not mechanically inclined.
Yes if your battery is that dead you may have to leave the other vehicle run for maybe 5 or 10 minutes to try to put some charge back into your battery.

I would wait until Saturday and then take it somewhere that has free battery installation like auto zone, or advance auto parts, etc... call first to see if they offer it. I say this because you said that you aren't too mechanically sound.

I'd jump it and then drive it right to one of these places to have a new one installed.

If you think you are up to the task you can always just go buy a new battery using your wifes car for transportation and then install it yourself in the driveway to eliminate having to jump start it.

Good luck!
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkoverland View Post
Yes if your battery is that dead you may have to leave the other vehicle run for maybe 5 or 10 minutes to try to put some charge back into your battery.

I would wait until Saturday and then take it somewhere that has free battery installation like auto zone, or advance auto parts, etc... call first to see if they offer it. I say this because you said that you aren't too mechanically sound.

I'd jump it and then drive it right to one of these places to have a new one installed.

If you think you are up to the task you can always just go buy a new battery using your wifes car for transportation and then install it yourself in the driveway to eliminate having to jump start it.

Good luck!
I thought about buying my own battery. My jeep still has a remainder of the balance of the factory warranty. Can I pawn this off on Jeep? How easy is a battery change? I absolutely DO NOT want to have the truck towed. Carmax's extended warranty only covers $50 (like that helps).
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
weezer

battery

pep boys or autozone will check your battery for free
take it out and take it to them. good luck
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

I googled for the mopar battery it has and it says if the indicator is green which it is on mines that the battery has 75% to full charge.
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

You might try cleaning the battery terminals, and cable connections. Do you see any white powdery substance at your battery connections? If so take off the cables and useing sandpaper or a wire brush, clean the terminals until they are shiny. The cable connections can be cleaned with a small wire brush, or if you are really stuck, you can use a small knife to scrape the insides. The idea is to get the crud off the connections. Also make sure your battery connections are tight, as, if loose, you will get all sorts of weird things happening. By the way, there is a special tool for cleaning battery terminals, surprisingly called a "Battery terminal cleaner". It's got a small round brush,(think wire bottle brush) for cleaning cable ends, and an internal brush, for cleaning the battery terminals. You can get one at any auto parts store/ most hardware stores, for about $ 5-7, and it may just become your new best friend. Good luck.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR-Swimmer View Post
You might try cleaning the battery terminals, and cable connections. Do you see any white powdery substance at your battery connections? If so take off the cables and useing sandpaper or a wire brush, clean the terminals until they are shiny. The cable connections can be cleaned with a small wire brush, or if you are really stuck, you can use a small knife to scrape the insides. The idea is to get the crud off the connections. Also make sure your battery connections are tight, as, if loose, you will get all sorts of weird things happening. By the way, there is a special tool for cleaning battery terminals, surprisingly called a "Battery terminal cleaner". It's got a small round brush,(think wire bottle brush) for cleaning cable ends, and an internal brush, for cleaning the battery terminals. You can get one at any auto parts store/ most hardware stores, for about $ 5-7, and it may just become your new best friend. Good luck.
It's dark out now, but I don't recall seeing any residue. The engine is pretty squeaky clean.
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
I googled for the mopar battery it has and it says if the indicator is green which it is on mines that the battery has 75% to full charge.
Probably not covered under warranty as this is probably considered a wear
item like brake pads.

You could still have a bad cell in it.

If you can take it out like weezer suggested and have them load test it to be sure.

My guess is the battery
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
dwp1975
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkoverland View Post
Probably not covered under warranty as this is probably considered a wear
item like brake pads.

You could still have a bad cell in it.

If you can take it out like weezer suggested and have them load test it to be sure.

My guess is the battery
That sucks, if the battery is $160 like a previous poster stated. That's not too bad but I doubt I can convince them to come to my house and change it even though I am less then 5 minutes away from the Jeep dealership.
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

The r&i (removal and install) shouldn't be too bad if you have some tools.

There is one bolt that holds a small bracket at the bottom of the battery that keeps it in place.
And then the two terminals positive and negative and presto it's out.

If I were closer i'd help you out =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.