Jeep CRD joins Ultimate adventures. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jeep CRD joins Ultimate adventures.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Red_liner740

Jeep CRD joins Ultimate adventures.

Been watching Ultimate Adventure 2014 on youtube and sighted a WK!

Just googled it and found out that not only is it a CRD, its also had the IFS replaced with a Dana44.

Anyone have any more info? Owner lurking around?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-...endees-part-1/

bout 2/3 of the way down is the white WK!

The trails they took them on, wow, i'm surprised it kept up with some of the other rights...

if there's another post about it, sorry...i searched real quick in the WK section but didnt see it.

Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
joe989
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740 View Post

Just googled it and found out that not only is it a CRD, its also had the IFS replaced with a Dana44.

The trails they took them on, wow, i'm surprised it kept up with some of the other rights...

if there's another post about it, sorry...i searched real quick in the WK section but didnt see it.
Cool, but I'm not sure putting a SFA on these jeeps is great idea, the costs compared to putting long travel IFS arms, and larger struts seems like a cheaper better option... but some people can't be convinced independent suspension can be good off road.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Red_liner740

Well, the owner is the co-owner of Nitro Gear and Axle. Who knows, maybe its a showcase of their garage work?

Personally, i think they did it because they wanted to run different gearing. With ZERO front differential gear choices for factory front diffs i'm sure they were forced to do a swap. 37's and stock gearing would absolutely suck for slow technical stuff, not to mention the extreme strain the factory shafts would be on with huge 37" nittos.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

The Liberty under the WK in the article is also a CRD.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Well, the owner is the co-owner of Nitro Gear and Axle. Who knows, maybe its a showcase of their garage work?

Personally, i think they did it because they wanted to run different gearing. With ZERO front differential gear choices for factory front diffs i'm sure they were forced to do a swap. 37's and stock gearing would absolutely suck for slow technical stuff, not to mention the extreme strain the factory shafts would be on with huge 37" nittos.
ZERO? Nitro themselves make 4.10 gears for this front axle. Not saying that's deep enough for real big tires or real serious wheeling though.

I'll just say it, no factory IFS system is strong enough for the UA that Petersens does every year. Beyond that, the UA rules dictate front and rear mechanical lockers. No option there for us.
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
joe989
2008 WK 

Quote:

The shafts can take it, extreme articulation is what kills axles, I'm not sure on the gearing either, as the diesel make full torque at 1400rpm, it doesn't need all that high ratio of gearing like a gasser where the torque band comes in at 5k+.
All I could think about when doing SFAs on these jeeps is welding tons of extra metal to the frame to strengthen parts for a track bar, and steering box.
None of that will ever bolt in nicely and you cant just cut, and weld where ever you want, then theres matching all the angles and making sure everything is aligned. Sounds like a nightmare.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:

sweet

Quote:
Drivetrain
Engine: 3.0L diesel
Transmission: Stock
Transfer Case: Stock
Front Axle: Teraflex JK Dana 44 with Reid knuckles and RCV shafts, TJM Pro Locker, 4.88 Nitro gears
Rear Axle: Chrysler 81⁄4 with Nitro shafts, ARB Air Locker, 4.88 Nitro gears

Suspension
Springs & Such: Jeepin by Al Custom 6-inch lift with King coilovers front and rear
Tires 7 Wheels: 37x12.50-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Hutchinson Rockmonster beadlocks
Winch: TJM 9000

From: http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-...#ixzz3K1WpI0j0
Follow us: @fwmag on Twitter | fourwheelermag on Facebook
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
skibum555
2005 WK 

I watched all four episodes on youtube today and they barely showed the WK....
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

That is cool ... and some $$$ in that...but not really set up as a daily driver.
Black WK Club #147
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #10
caulk04
2008 WK 

None of them are. Are you familiar with the UA at all? It's not about civility, it's about a hardcore trip. Any rig that's going to perform on the trails they hit will be just tolerable on the road for a serious wheeling type.

In short, it's about building a very capable offroad rig that is still just road legal. Not road friendly.

A couple years back, a guy drove a few thousand miles to get to the start and went to the trouble to swap in a taller gearset for his 14bolt rear end before leaving to save fuel. He got there and swapped it back before going wheeling. That's dedication!
Unread Today, 12:28 PM   #11
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I understand what you are saying, though there is actually a rule ... "Vehicle must be street licensed and insured" with 35+ tires.

My neighbours Brute JEEP is a capable offroad rig and is very road friendly. It is both.
Black WK Club #147
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.