JBert's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > JBert's Build Thread

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
JBert
2005 WK 

JBert's Build Thread

So I figured I might as start documenting my build!

The beginning: An abused blue 05 4.7.

This truck was my wife's, and she literally beat the crap out of it over the past 4 years of owning it. She somehow side swiped a pole over the winter, messing up the driver side fender and both doors. The heater core went around the same time, destroying the passenger side carpet. Aside from that, it needs a complete front to back tune up.

She now drives my 08 Mazda CX7 - turbo, awd, loaded. Let's see how long that lasts. Her commute is now much longer than mine, so she gets the more fuel efficient car.

I've started going through it over the past week, fixing a few odds and ends that have been begging for attention. Here's the initial plan.

- Seafoam engine. Plugs, filter, cabin filter.
- Change tranny and diff fluid
- Replace destroyed carpet
- Fix drivers side body damage.

Once the carnage is fixed, the mods will begin!

- Superlift 4'' kit
- Stillen brake kit front & rear
- Moab wheels w/ 33''s
- S4xC hidden winch kit & rear tire bumper
- Rock Rails
- 4xGuard Matrix

The goal is to have the ultimate daily driver/weekend wheeler. There is so much inspiration here on the forums, and I look forward to getting to know everyone on here!

I'll post pics tomorrow to show everyone how much of a headache I'm starting with!

JBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
kllshadow
2006 WK 

That will be one hell of a beast when your done!
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
5point7HEMI
2005 WK 

Cant wait to see it.
5point7HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

if you're getting a superlift, wouldnt you put bigger tires on it than 33's? just a thought
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Welcome JBert! Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. Looking forward to see it transform. When it comes time for armor first make sure you have the Mopar skids covering the fuel tank and t-case, and get yourself the 4xG belly skid too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot9psu View Post
if you're getting a superlift, wouldn't you put bigger tires on it than 33's? just a thought
That's what most guys use.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
JBert
2005 WK 

Thanks guys.

33''s seem to have the most pleasing look, and will meet the need of what I'm going to need to use.

Omlet, your truck is one of the inspirations! Definitely going with armor, just need to figure out which route to go.
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Cant wait to see this thing. What timeframe are you looking at for all this?
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
JBert
2005 WK 

Not sure yet. I would like to have the lift, wheels, and tires done by July. Right now I'm focusing on getting the truck serviced, and the body work done.

I just finished replacing the third brake light, and the lower brake bulbs. Placed an order today for replacement hook/hatch lift struts. I was hoping to get the fluids done today, but I have to go into work unfortunately.

BTW, I'm trying to do this all while taking care of my beautiful 3 1/2 month old baby girl! Nap time is daddy's wrench time.
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

When you gonna post pics - I can't hold my breath much longer, dude.
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
JBert
2005 WK 

So I finally have pics. Thank god for Goodle+ photo back up. I dropped and destroyed my EVO right after I took these!

Finally got around to doing an oil change, doing the plugs tomorrow.

Here's pics of the truck. You'll see the damage to the driver's side.

And the damage

Swapping to Mobil 1 synthetic made a huge difference! The truck runs much smoother. Plugs are getting done tomorrow.

Next week I hope to replace the PCV, have the dreaded drivers side exhaust manifold studs fixed and get the hood/hatch struts in.

I noticed an oil leak that left oil on the passenger side of the K member and lower radiator hose. Might be power steering or oil cooler lines.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I see the sideswipe. nothing A little elbow grease can't handle!
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
JBert
2005 WK 

Just an update:

It became clear that it would be much cheaper for me to be a stay at home dad instead of paying the insane cost of daycare for our 5 month old. I'm working at picking up a few weekly DJ gigs to make extra scratch, but we're ok for the time being. I have to admit, staying at home with my daughter is pretty freaking cool!

I finally got around to getting some much needed work done on the jeep. Finally replaced both hatch struts, hood strut, and passenger mirror glass. I managed to blow both rear plate lights when the hatch slammed shut without a working strut, so I replaced them with nice new LED's. I like how they came out - definitely going to replace all the interior lights with LED's in the near future.

I also ordered front stillen brakes from Kolak, and am waiting for those to come in. As soon as the weather decides to stop raining, I'm going to pull the carpet and see how clean I can get it. The stealership wants $600 for a replacement.... right.

I'm still having issues with a bad connection for the steering wheel wiring. The horn and cruise control don't work, and the airbag light is on. The scanner is reading an open airbag circuit code.
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
OhFiveHemi
2005 WK 

this thread is very intriguing to me... for a few reasons...

1.) its another Midnight Blue Pearlcoat WK which i havent seen alot of on JF.
2.) Superlift
3.) i might get so see your rig in person since i live 20 minutes outside of Hartford.

only problem is, we have really similar plans, so we might have eventual twins on our hands!!
Blue WK Club Member #41

... | `05 WK - HEMI - QDII - Mods | ... | `07 XK - 3.7L - Stock | ...
OhFiveHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
JBert
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhFiveHemi View Post
this thread is very intriguing to me... for a few reasons...

1.) its another Midnight Blue Pearlcoat WK which i havent seen alot of on JF.
2.) Superlift
3.) i might get so see your rig in person since i live 20 minutes outside of Hartford.

only problem is, we have really similar plans, so we might have eventual twins on our hands!!
Nice to see man. Would be definitely nice to meet up sometime. I'm up in Suffield.
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
OhFiveHemi
2005 WK 

sounds good. im in Middletown, so we're close, but not that close.

and good luck with the build
Blue WK Club Member #41

... | `05 WK - HEMI - QDII - Mods | ... | `07 XK - 3.7L - Stock | ...
OhFiveHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.