Jay's 05 WK Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Jay's 05 WK Build Thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
jayl00p

Jay's 05 WK Build Thread

Figured I'd start a proper build thread so I'd have somewhere to post up my progress rather than dropping random pics all over the place. After wearing out my WJ I decided to stick with another Grand and get a WK. Here is the WJ prior to selling with 180k miles on the clock:

After selling the WJ I looked long and hard across the entire US for the best deal on the exact WK I wanted. I had a few color choices but a few other specs were must have's-
-tow
-5.7l Hemi
-Heated Seats
-Sunroof
-QDII
-<50k miles
After a few months of patiently waiting and negotiation attempts I found the right WK at a steal of a price. So I made a two hour trip and negotiated that steal price further down and drove it home. I sold my Yakima basket with the WJ, so I picked up a Rola and installed it along with my Yakima load bars and bike trays:

I found that along with my Yakima parts, some of the black trim was beginning to fade, so I picked up some U-Pol Raptor liner and began removing and spraying parts. It's been months since spraying and each piece looks brand new. I highly recommend this stuff!

After saving for a couple more months and reading what seems like almost every lift related thread on the forums I decided on a 4" Superlift. My WJ had 2" pucks and crappy shocks and rode like a shopping cart. This time around I wanted maximum lift with minimal geometry change and ride impact. I'm picky about chrome but decided I liked the mix of chrome and silver on the Jeep, with the exception of the stock chrome wheels. I wanted a bit of a dish, but a very simple wheel. I also wanted a tough wheel that would take some abuse. The winning choice for me was the AEV Savegre. AEV makes great products and I knew I couldn't go wrong with them.

After much debate I decided to have someone do the Superlift install as I just didn't have the necessary tools to do it right. I wouldn't take it just anywhere, but I got connected with a great local shop that does awesome work. Here is the post-lift result:

The next product I recommend is Plasti-Dip, at least as a temporary solution that is completely reversible. I'd read about it on the forums and I was toying with the notion of painting my grille black. So a trip to Home Depot and 5 bucks later, I sprayed the grille with Plasti-Dip:

I'm glad I only used Plasti-Dip instead of actually sanding, priming, and painting, becuase after two weeks of it I decided it wasn't for me. I peeled it off in about 30 seconds and my chrome grille was good as new. I've got plenty of upcoming projects, starting with a lighting overhaul. I chose Rigid Industries for the majority of my aftermarket lighting. They are pricey, but if you compare their light output vs current draw, then watch their ballistics testing videos on YouTube, you will see they make an incredibly great product. I am currently testing different fitment locations to achieve the max light output. Once that is complete I will setup a shoot that shows the different lights and their outbut brightness, all at same ISO/speed/arpeture. Here is a quick look at light output of just the Rigid LED, no headlights:

'05 WK LTD HEMI|Custom 6" lift-Superlift+Spacers|EGR|AEV Savegre|35" GY Duratrac|SRT8 Front and Rear Sway Bars|Rusty's Adjustable Rear LCAs|Mopar CAI|Gibson 3" Cat-Back w cats deleted|RIGID 30" LED|SC Flashpaq|Yakima Bike+Snow+Kayak|Rola|Superwinch X9 winch|Custom bi-xenon Projector Headlights|
jayl00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
jeepnxj3
2008 WK 

Great job so far! Looks really good!

I'll be interested in your lighting updates. I have somewhat of an obsession with lighting and love the LED bars.
ROLA RACK : 4XGUARD 12 BOLT DIFF GUARD : BT CATCH CAN
jeepnxj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Foshee12
2006 WK 

I think you should know......you have THE SICKEST *****ING WK I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!! damn I wish I had the bills to get a super lift!!!! Outstanding man!! (wish the rims were xd rockstars! you would've been reporting an auto theft in the morning!!!)
Foshee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Foshee12
2006 WK 

And one question what brand racks do you have?
Foshee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Yeah, he's got my favorite wheels - I'm really liking those. I want to slap those on my WK. I added your thread to the WK list.
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
CmmdrDan

Really liked the Liner on the black trim pieces good idea!
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
criket
2005 WK 

DId you put that liner stuff on the bottom of the radiator shroud? And the plastic dip for the grill I love! I think I'll be hitting up home depot later on today.
2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG antenna mount | Rola roof
criket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
jayl00p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshee12 View Post
And one question what brand racks do you have?
I'm using Yakima rack components with a Rola basket. If my Jeep get's stolen I know who to look for first! Thanks for the compliments.
'05 WK LTD HEMI|Custom 6" lift-Superlift+Spacers|EGR|AEV Savegre|35" GY Duratrac|SRT8 Front and Rear Sway Bars|Rusty's Adjustable Rear LCAs|Mopar CAI|Gibson 3" Cat-Back w cats deleted|RIGID 30" LED|SC Flashpaq|Yakima Bike+Snow+Kayak|Rola|Superwinch X9 winch|Custom bi-xenon Projector Headlights|
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
jayl00p

Quote:
Originally Posted by criket View Post
DId you put that liner stuff on the bottom of the radiator shroud? And the plastic dip for the grill I love! I think I'll be hitting up home depot later on today.
So far the liner has only gone on the Bumper step and some of the rack components up top. Every so often I hit the undercarriage with flat black Rustoleum, including the Radiator shroud. I plan on coating more parts with the Liner, just not sure what yet.
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Budasac
2005 WK 

Looks great! What's the deal with the bracket above the radio for your phone/gps?? Did you make the arm yourself? I have something similar to the right of my heater controls, but my phone and Ipod fight over it. A second one would be useful.
dash-bracket.jpg  
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
jayl00p

yeah, I just used some steel flat stock and made an arm for an rotating iphone mount to attach to. I thought about one similar to yours but I wanted one that didnt require me to look down from the road too far. I drive bad enough as it is
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayl00p View Post
yeah, I just used some steel flat stock and made an arm for an rotating iphone mount to attach to. I thought about one similar to yours but I wanted one that didnt require me to look down from the road too far. I drive bad enough as it is
Nice. I might have to do something similar. I use my phone for GPS, and I'd prefer it was up higher as well. Then the other mount would be dedicated to my ipod.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
jayl00p

Lighting updates:
I picked up a pair of Hella 500FF's and mounted behind the grill (This wasnt my idea, plenty of people on the forums have done similar installs). I used flat stock as mounting brackets.
NOTE: I drilled my holes slightly larger than diameter of the bolts so I would have room for fine tune adjustment to line up the lights exactly in the right position. With the use of lock washers, they will not move once tightened down.

I used a couple of empty spots in the engine bay fuse block in order to keep the fused connections more water tight and out of the way and used an open space in the rear right corner of the engine bay to mount the relays.

As for now they only have 55w bulbs, but I intend to retrofit HID's into them in the near future. They will most likely scatter all over the place, but they will NOT be used on road (or at least not with oncoming traffic) so I'm not concerned with the bad light pattern. I am actually hoping to get some scatter in order to produce more of a flood pattern. Only after installing the HIDs will I know the result.

Unread 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
WK-916

Maybe some-one already asked... or you've stated....

but, what kind of tires are those?
WK-916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
CmmdrDan

'05 WK LTD HEMI|Superlift+EGR|AEV Savegre|33" GY Duratrac|Mopar CAI|Flowmaster 50 Series|SC Flashpaq|Yakima Bike+Snow+Kayak|Rola

Its in his Sig..
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.