JakeWK Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > JakeWK Build

Free shipping on slip yoke eliminator kits New lower PriceNew! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

JakeWK Build

Hey guys, so i've been pretty active since i joined this great forum, I have really learned a lot so far!
So, intro- My name is Jake i am active duty USN, i'm stationed here in NAS Lemoore, CA. It's not too nice of a location, my previous command being in WA, but there is lots of dirt to play in, and forests to trail on. It's my final tour so i can't complain. I am an AME, which is basically an ejection seat tech for FA18-Fs. My squadron has 12 jets we have to maintain and keep flying, i inspect and maintain the ejection seats and all components, the cabin pressurization system, as well as avionics cooling. Some days i wish i could put these parts in my jeep! Lol.

Anyways, on to the Jeep stuff!

So, she's a silver 2005 Limited Hemi. I've owned her less than a year to date. i used a chunk of deployment money and bought her from a private seller bone stock @ 95k.
When i got her, the first month went by really fast. I was new to the forum thing and didn't take many pictures, which i now regret. At purchase vs. now.

jeep_grand_cherokee_2005.jpg   imag0931.jpg   imag0974.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Like i said, the first month went by fast- a lot got done! I changed all the fluids first thing, using M1 oil and filter and Royal P diff fluid w/ modifier. Next was a 2" RC spacer kit for the struts. The front was a lot harder than the rear haha. Then came 1.5" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, and a LED kit for the interior lights.
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Then the air dam came off and on came some new wheels, some 31" BFG 265/70. I even got a set of Moabs from the guy i got the jeep from, he never put them on. Proceeded to plasti-dip the face Graphite, and i really loved the way it turned out!
img_1267.jpg   imag0475.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Then came another burst of parts
I picked up a new aFe intake and a complete Gibson cat-back exhaust set up from a guy on CL. Quite a drive but worth the deal. Love that site now haha.
Got it all put in, along with a new Optima Red Top battery, and painted my tow hooks Hemi orange to match the Hemi orange intake box. The exhaust is DEI wrapped and the intake has thermal shielding on the ducting and inboard box. The tri-arrow circle sticker on my intake box is a plate from one of our ejection seat sequencers. I will be amazed to find another intake box that looks the same!
imag0621.jpg   imag0619.jpg   imag0639.jpg   imag0630.jpg   imag0645.jpg  

Unread 05-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

As you might've noticed, the next mod was to do the upper and lower dam Mesh Grill Mod. I liked the expanded sheet metal, but thought it was too common and not as protective, so i used aluminum 'gutter guard' i found at Home Depot for like ten bucks. I also bedlined the outer grill fairing, then cut the gutter guards to fit and used zip ties to secure it. Sorry for the lack of pics. (i was new to the forum game)
imag0623.jpg   imag0625.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
waterhammer

2005 WK 

Nice looking man. I've been wondering about your build. Love the air box!
waterhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

So, after a while of kicking it around, i decided to go with HID low beams and KS yellow fogs. Got them all adjusted so the HIDs don't blind oncoming traffic (until i can decide on HID housing...) and adjusted the fogs a bit.
imag0705.jpg   imag0706.jpg   imag0637.jpg   imag0643.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

When we do maintenance on seats, we put on new stickers (there are a lot, and we always order more than we need) so i am able to have fun. I have like 4 Armed eject handle stickers in my emergency kit haha
imag0620.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Took her to the Sequoias the other weekend, to warm her up on some trails. Sorry i didn't take very many pictures, it was my first time there and i went by myself so nobody to take pictures in motion haha.
imag0667.jpg   imag0662.jpg   imag0655.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

So, after perusing build thread after build thread, i finally ended up getting a 4xG Rear Diff Cover, and some Monroe Level Loaders. It was a fun install, and while i was under there i figured i might as well change the fluids again. Gained close to an inch in the rear from the LL's, they have since settled to about .75". I love the stiffness and feel, and no more saggy diaper syndrome in the back!
imag0925.jpg   imag0926.jpg   imag0927.jpg   imag0928.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

A few days after that (i was on a roll) my Tail Lamp covers arrived. I immediately gave them a few coats of Bedliner, because it looks good on everything, and install was a breeze.
imag0735.jpg   imag0736.jpg   imag0803.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Next was a Superchips 3872, I am still not even comfortable messing with all the electronics, but this thing has some serious potential! All i did so far was the 87 octane tune and adjusted the tire size for the Speedo and Odo. I noticed a significant difference in the drive quality the very first time The shifting was less sporatic, if i gave it gas it dropped into the next gear at a higher RPM. I haven't yet messed with all the capabilities of this thing, like shift pressure points.
-Mileage has gotten better since the tune, but it's not a major differnce.. I'd say +3 MPGs maybe, but it was still worth every penny all around
imag0920.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

After that came my Red TrailRated badges, i plasti-dipped the chrome door trim a nice Graphite, and repainted my tow hooks to match the badges. Objectively i am going for the red and black TrailHawk theme, i think the red and graphite looks very good with the silver.
img_1273.jpg   img_1274.jpg   img_1275.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Also, Bedlined the rear step and trim around the rear tow hookup, and would like to do the door steps and mirror assemblies soon!
imag0487.jpg   img_1266.jpg   imag0974.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

I think that's all the pics i have for now, BUT! On the way (hopefully i can install next weekend) is a 4xG Front Skid, a 53" Thule Aeroblade Roof Bar set, and a Rusty's Adjustable Trackbar. I have a BT catch can, just waiting to get an idea for a good L-bracket.. Most of this will be painted an customized in some way. Thanks for looking! Please comment on questions, thoughts, and ideas. i always want to improve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.