issues I will come across when lifting my WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > issues I will come across when lifting my WK

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
GPERSCREEPERS99

issues I will come across when lifting my WK

I just bought this 2005 Grand last week with 21k miles on it. Little old lady traded it and a Mercury Mountaineer in after her Husband passed away recently. Never driven in snow...underside looks like the Jeep is brand new.

Looks like I am gonna do a 2" Lift. I am considering doing the OME HD. I only care to clear "31 inch tires" I realize I will be replacing with metric size. I just can't drive a stock Jeep even if its a Daily Driver. My wife got into mine last night and said it seems to low compared to her 2012 Grand Cherokee. My TJ has 6" and my Scrambler has 5.25" of lift so this does seem short to me too.

I am not new to Jeeps or lifting/modifying them and have always done all my own work. All models seem to have quirks or issues after lifting them. What is the realistic things I will need to do besides the install, alignment, lift kit, new tires etc.... Just trying to figure out how much this will take away from my Scrambler restoration I am doing right now.

12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Aside from what you mentioned you're looking at recalibrating the speedo/odo but that's really about it. No matter what lift you get the WK is a pretty straightforward platform. Some guys put an adjustable rear tracbar in but it's really not needed until about 4 inches of lift and even then you could get by without it. I would suggest either wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with a deeper b/s. It sounds like you will be good to go with your previous work and knowledge. Good luck! Welcome to the WK side of Jeep!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
meep
2008 WK 

^^^agreed^^^

piece of cake in the rear. easier if you notch the gas tank shield with a dremel so the upper arm can go to full droop. quicker doing that than to mess with getting it all lined back up for reassembly. front lower fork bolt gives people trouble on the front. mine was clean and came right out... but I have an 08 and it seems like alot of the stuck bolts are on earlier models. mine had a zinc coating, i think, fwiw.

look at the lift and tire thread sticky for ideas. 2" on mine is just right and my tires are about 30.5". they don't make it look like a mudder, but the open space isn't bad either, and it's easier to clean. I'm running 245-70's. My next tires will likely be 255-70s but no larger.

wheel options are real limited. our stock wheels have a bunch of backspacing. lots of folks run adapters/spacers, but those make me nervous and I've heard of cases where someone's insurance walks away if a wreck was involved with a car using them, so for me, aftermarket wheels would be the way to go. I bring all of this up because even the 2" lifted wk's seem to develop ball joint problems, and it wouldn't surprise me if the wider stance is a contributor. you'll see for yourself, even a 2" lift puts the upper BJ at the end (if not beyond during full extension) its travel.

I think 2" looks very natural for this platform. I used a rusty's kit and kept both oem rubber spring seats stacked on each other for the extra 1/4" in back and it's very nice. I'd love 1/2" less (modest) backspacing but there just aren't any options out there.

you are, of course, familiar with mpg drops. I'd gotten mine up to 22 mpg daily after swapping all driveline fluids to name brand synthetics, and after lift and tires am lucky to get above 18, 19 in the summer. 22 hwy is down to 18 or so... even a small lift eats the mpg.

it's a nice platform, great DD. welcome!

m
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

If you feel like it you could replace the front sway bar bushings along with the lift. Mine started to creak and thud shortly after it was installed. Seems to be a really common replacement since the sway bar changes position. (For installation of the bushings everything stresses to tighten them down with the vehicle weight on them.. so I wonder if you loosened up the brackets before you lift and re-tighten if it will preserve the bushings.) Either way it's a cheap and easy fix.

I still have a creak/squeak in the back which I have no idea what it's from. When it rains it silences it so I'm guessing it's a bushing somewhere.

Other than that the only bad thing in my opinion is as meep said, 2" looks very natural for the wk. I think it should have came from the factory this way. It just puts you up to a full size suv's level. If you want to be a head-turner you'd be better off with a modified ome or superlift.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
GPERSCREEPERS99

Thanks everyone for the replys! That was the type of information I was looking for....if anyone else has anything to add that would be great
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.