Irregular Brake pad Wear front vs. rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Irregular Brake pad Wear front vs. rear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
speeddemon651
2007 WK 

Irregular Brake pad Wear front vs. rear

I've had my 07 WK 3.7, for a year now and since the day I got it, it's always wore through rear brake pads faster than the front. My front's wheels can have alomst no brake dust on them vs. the rear's are completely black. Also I had to replace the rear pads about this time last year and on the RR caliper the outer pad had twice as much meat left vs the inner pad. LR had somewhat od the same case, not as severe.

These problems make me automatically think of two things, air in the lines, which would be noticable and make the pedal soft or brake perportioning valve is bad. Thirdly the rear calipers could also be getting hung up and not properly moving in and out when energized but I coulden't see any signs of that when I replaced the pads before during inspection.

Anyone else have this problem, before I start replacing calipers and taking a hard look at the perportion valve.

speeddemon651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I think your on the right track. You should be able to feel if the calipers slide on the pins easily or not, you could still clean the grease off and put fresh grease. Also, bleed the lines. It's easy to do. Then give it some time and check the pads again
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon651 View Post
I've had my 07 WK 3.7, for a year now and since the day I got it, it's always wore through rear brake pads faster than the front. My front's wheels can have alomst no brake dust on them vs. the rear's are completely black. Also I had to replace the rear pads about this time last year and on the RR caliper the outer pad had twice as much meat left vs the inner pad. LR had somewhat od the same case, not as severe.

These problems make me automatically think of two things, air in the lines, which would be noticable and make the pedal soft or brake perportioning valve is bad. Thirdly the rear calipers could also be getting hung up and not properly moving in and out when energized but I coulden't see any signs of that when I replaced the pads before during inspection.

Anyone else have this problem, before I start replacing calipers and taking a hard look at the perportion valve.
My factory rear pads were worn out at ~75,000 miles. The inners were thinner than the outers. I replaced both the pads and rotors as they were grooved and pulsing. Definitely lubricate the sliding surfaces with brake lube.

Rear pads wear faster because of the traction control system (and all of its features) applies them automatically without driver action. A local Offroad 4WD shop (and Jeeper) told me that and it means you are driving reasonably when the rears on the new Jeeps wear out first. I never heard that before.

Installed Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and pads. Everything returned to normal. BTW: I'm at 88,500 miles now and fronts are still good with no sign of performance degradation.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
jaje
2007 WK 

Inner pads usually wear out faster than outer pads as they normally get less cooling and stay hotter longer - the outside pads are able to lose heat due to outside air coming in through the wheel openings.

As for rears wearing out faster - that is not the norm as least that I know of (rear engined cars this is not uncommon - i.e. the 911). Usually it's the fronts that do most of the braking b/c of weight transfer. Maybe the rear pads are of a compound that wears faster (causing the dust as well). I doubt ABS has anything to do with it unless you are on the binders hard trying to threshold brake (braking to the point before lockup).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon651 View Post

ESP/traction control is why the rears are wearing faster then the fronts.

The prop valve is a intergrated part of your ABS pump module.
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

My rear pad wear out fast too I am second set rotors turned twice, now I am getting pulsing in the brake pedal so I think I will need rotor too and pads. My front look good.
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm surprised how long mine are lasting. I have 70k on it now with the factory brakes. They still have a lot of material left.
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

There is another thread or two on this message board where others have noted that the rear brake pads wear out first. My rear pads were replaced at about 100,000 miles and the front are still OK at 120,000. It's hard to think that's due to the ABS/traction control since I'm rarely driving off-road or even in snow.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.