Intro/ towing with WK - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Intro/ towing with WK

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #31
Maxim_X
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I would still engage the tow/haul mode. Anything to keep the transmission cooler.

Why for would the transmission be overheating? It doesn't shift once on the highway and the TC should be locked. Not arguing here, I just don't see the advantage to loosing overdrive.

As for the towing recommendations. I appreciate them. I am a CDL driver and take road safety seriously.

Maxim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #32
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Check out the sway on this speeding Uhaul Utility trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS5ou40cC7Q
Judging by the size of those rims he has never pulled a trailer in his life haha.thats what happens when people don't know how to tow and balance the load
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #33
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Had that not been a dually I almost guarantee it would've rolled the truck as well.

I think those campers tend to sway a lot more than any flatbed or utility trailers. The weight distribution and center of gravity is always suspect to me because they ride so high and the axles are typically more narrow or at least the same width as the load.

Scary stuff indeed.
Plus it's like a 60 ft long bumper pull
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #34
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

I tossed on some Monroe Sensa-trac shocks on the back to help with the rear end squat. It helped alot. Also if anyone buys a ScanGauge2 with XGauge, you can watch all your temps as you drive. Highest trans temp I have found is 180 and that was parked. Down the highway it runs about 165-170 on long runs.
lucifers_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #35
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_X View Post
Why for would the transmission be overheating? It doesn't shift once on the highway and the TC should be locked. Not arguing here, I just don't see the advantage to loosing overdrive.

As for the towing recommendations. I appreciate them. I am a CDL driver and take road safety seriously.
I don't know what you mean "the TC should be locked." Tow/haul doesn't effect the transfer case as far as I know. It does make the transmission hold gears longer, locks out overdrive, and uses engine braking to assist deceleratrion and save wear&tear on the brakes; and it also shuts down the MDS in HEMI models. In the owners manual and on WKJeeps it doesn't list a load at which tow/haul should be used - just says carrying or pulling a heavy load.

At 2500lbs you're pulling at or better than 50% of the weight of your Jeep. I'm saying that's a "heavy load." I'm not trying to argue either - just posting what I know and my opinion on the subject.

........but again - these Jeeps will tow very well IMO!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #36
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:

I don't know what you mean "the TC should be locked." Tow/haul doesn't effect the transfer case as far as I know. It does make the transmission hold gears longer, locks out overdrive, and uses engine braking to assist deceleratrion and save wear&tear on the brakes; and it also shuts down the MDS in HEMI models. In the owners manual and on WKJeeps it doesn't list a load at which tow/haul should be used - just says carrying or pulling a heavy load.

At 2500lbs you're pulling at or better than 50% of the weight of your Jeep. I'm saying that's a "heavy load." I'm not trying to argue either - just posting what I know and my opinion on the subject.

........but again - these Jeeps will tow very well IMO!

TC as in Torque Converter

And as for the torque converter being locked, that is what produces the heat that toasts a transmission. Fluid consistently being pumped keeps it cooler ( I.E. - Tow/Haul Mode )
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifers_jeep View Post
TC as in Torque Converter

And as for the torque converter being locked, that is what produces the heat that toasts a transmission. Fluid consistently being pumped keeps it cooler ( I.E. - Tow/Haul Mode )
Ahah, the other TC.......... Copy - thanks.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #38
Clirry
2014 WK 

Sorry to revive this thread back... I was just curious if anyone of you who got lifted wks, safe to tow?

I got a seadoo boat and wasn't sure if should I lift my wk or not.
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #39
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Sorry to revive this thread back... I was just curious if anyone of you who got lifted wks, safe to tow?

I got a seadoo boat and wasn't sure if should I lift my wk or not.
Plenty of lifted WKs being used for towing, myself included. Just watch your gross trailer weight, tongue weight, gross combined weight, use trailer brakes/brake controller when applicable.

Don't know what engine you have but pulling a Seadoo shouldn't be an issue.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #40
Clirry
2014 WK 

Jeepn4kc,

Yeah? Good to know that its doable to lift and tow. I got 5.7 Hemi and for seadoo, 96 challenger... Shld be no ppm.

Thanks
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Jeepn4kc,

Yeah? Good to know that its doable to lift and tow. I got 5.7 Hemi and for seadoo, 96 challenger... Shld be no ppm.

Thanks
Whats that Seadoo weight? Pretty much nothing. I pull my 15 ft boat all the time with my XK.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #42
LouC
2007 WK 

The WK is a good tow vehicle. As long as you have a well balanced trailer with good trailer brakes you should be fine. I feel the standard rear suspension is too soft and needs air bags in the rear coils. Heavier trailers close to the limit may require a WD hitch. I have towed a boat that's about 4000 lbs (trailer has brakes) and a cargo trailer (about 3000 lbs) without brakes both were ok. The cargo trailer you could hardly even feel back there. The boat towed well because the trailer has a longer tongue than normal making the wheelbase longer. Its all about adequate tongue weight (too little = sway) and good trailer brakes.
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #43
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

I've towed over 6000 lbs with no trailer brakes and a pintle hitch with it. Never had a problem. My brothers Silverado couldn't keep up with the same load on his trailer.

Edit: should prolly specify, brother's truck in a mid 90s chevy. So its a bit aged, but still a truck with a much higher tow rating.
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #44
DeChache
2003 WJ 

That uHaul looks more like a mis-loaded trailer than anything and not to mention its a uHaul.... I've had trailers wag like that and 20 minutes at a rest stop latter I'm clipping down the interstate at 70 with it rock solid. That was the first and last time I didn't supervise the inlaws loading the trailer..... All the weight was on one side.

It depends on the vehicle and trailer they both will tell you when your pushing your luck as long as you are paying attention. Its also knowing what your vehicle is capable of would I run 70 at max load no. Can I run 70 with my 1200LB 12 ft utility trailer sure.
DeChache is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.