Intro/ towing with WK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Intro/ towing with WK

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Drewd

If anybody wants to buy a drop down shank, just holler. I own 3 now because I had to upgrade to a different one when I lifted my travel trailer 4 inches. I'll sell it for 1/2 price plus shipping.

Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

You need a firestone coil rite kit 4157.
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK
You need a firestone coil rite kit 4157.
Do you sell them, own the company or make a commission on this? Because you say this in every available tread. Personally if you need airbags you need a bigger tow vehicle or weight distribution hitch.

Air bags do not increase the capacity of the vehicle for payload or towing. Properly loading a cargo trailer is easy since you can move objects to get the correct tongue weight. Campers on the other hand have fixed items within that most of the time can not be moved resulting in the need for a WDH.

Air bags will not reduce the tongue weight of the trailer when connected to tow vehicle.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use my 2007 CRD to tow my TJ on a U-Haul trailer for a 4 hours/250miles trip at least 3 times a year.

My WK rear suspension has the Monroe Sensa-trac leveling shocks and Firestone Coil-Rite Airbags. This setup keeps my suspension perfectly level.

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
wkldr
2008 WK 

I tow a 4500 lb set up with my '08 250 miles through relatively hilly terrain (CLT to ATL) 5-6 times a year. As long as the trailer is loaded properly you shouldn't have a problem. I agree, with a heavy trailer I'd make sure it had electric brakes. The hemi is plenty strong to do the job and will let me tow much faster than I should.
Hemi Club #77, BT Oil Catch Can - Expanded Sheet Metal Grill - GLT V1 Mount - Custom front shackle mounts - 2" BB - 1.5" spacers - JK Rubicon wheels - 265/70 BFG AT's - Cobra 75 CB - Hemifever Diablo Sport Tune
wkldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
Maxim_X
2010 WK 

I figured I would update this after towing.

The jeep and I have made 5+ towing trips from 3 hours long to 5 hours long each way. For a reminder I tow a 6ft tall 6x10 enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles, gear and tools. The whole sheba-ng weighs in at about 2500#s with a lot of wind drag. I've also made some longer trips not towing, like home in MA to Toledo, Ohio. The jeep performed better than expected in every way. Coming from my X5 was night and day. The jeep very rarely downshifts to pass or make a hill. It super comfortable and reliable so far. The stereo is AWESOME! It never sees eco mode with the trailer on, but I get 12 15ish MPG depending on whether I'm going at 65 or 75. It seems to have a sweet spot right around 72.

I'm kind of thinking of a programmer to get a bit more mileage. I only run 93 in the car. Maybe it's a placebo, but the jeep seems to run better with it. Maybe with a programmer I could take advantage of it. I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone do cams in these? If so are they tunable by the programmers or would I need a custom computer tune?

One more thing! Is anyone running snow tires? Recommendations? When I bough the jeep the dealer spooned 4 new tires on it, but, they are wicked cheapoz. I'm thinking a snow tire will be better for the winter.

Last edited by Maxim_X; 11-25-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Maxim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^Being as I pull over twice that weight with my 4.7 w/o issue I have no doubt that your HEMI is unaffected by that load. These rigs really do quite a bang up job as far as towing! The wind drag must be something fierce though because I get 12 mpg pulling my set-up. Since you're exclusively running 93 octane I think a programmer would benefit you - how much? dunno but IMO it'd be worth the investment.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #23
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Owners manual comments on not using 93, also the ECO mode will not activate when tow button is pressed. Free PDF owners manuals at Jeep.com
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Maxim_X
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Owners manual comments on not using 93, also the ECO mode will not activate when tow button is pressed. Free PDF owners manuals at Jeep.com
I know about the owners manual. But, like I said, maybe it's placebo, or maybe it makes a difference, but it seems to run nicer or 93 and that's enough for me to use it. There is no harm that will come from it, except maybe a $100 lighter wallet every year.

I don't use the tow mode. It doesn't seem to need it and tow mode carries the gears much longer than it should with my light load. Maybe it I hook a car to it or something I'll pop that in.
Maxim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
My 4.7 pulls my XJ on a dolly just fine. I definitely have to use a drop hitch (6" - probably should go to 8") as my factory hitch is 25.75" ground to center. Eventually, I'm planning on getting a tandem axle trailer to pull the XJ on. This combo will weigh substantially more than a 3K# set-up and I have confidence the WK will get the job done. May want to consider trailer brakes and a brake controller.

Even if the load you're pulling isn't that heavy - it could be; and the wear and tear on your Jeep's brakes would be reduced on the whole regardless.
Also, something like a Superchip, for example, will have a tow tune that will adjust your tranny shift points for towing.

Airbags are a good idea but they will not solve any issues with weight distribution on your tow rig should your load and tongue weight increase. So, might also look into a weight distribution hitch.

Overall, it sounds like your HEMI should do well with the set-up you describe.
I pulled my wrangler on our 18 ft flat bed trailer with my 4.7l did just fine. I'm wanting to invest in a brake Controller. And some stiffer springs or airbags
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Which is why I suggested a tuner - i.e. a Superchips or comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_X View Post
I know about the owners manual. But, like I said, maybe it's placebo, or maybe it makes a difference, but it seems to run nicer or 93 and that's enough for me to use it. There is no harm that will come from it, except maybe a $100 lighter wallet every year.

I don't use the tow mode. It doesn't seem to need it and tow mode carries the gears much longer than it should with my light load. Maybe it I hook a car to it or something I'll pop that in.
I would still engage the tow/haul mode. Anything to keep the transmission cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman View Post
I pulled my wrangler on our 18 ft flat bed trailer with my 4.7l did just fine. I'm wanting to invest in a brake Controller. And some stiffer springs or airbags
Brake controller and tandem axle brakes on the trailer - it's the way to go. I wouldn't pull my set-up (XJ on 16' heavy duty utility) without trailer brakes. The OME hd springs suit me well when I tow.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

As you've found out, your rig will have no problems with that load. I saw noted that you "most of the weight in front of the axle" is not necessarily true. For a single axle trailer like that your tongue weight should be between 10-15% of the loaded trailer's weight. So if your trailer is 3000 pounds loaded, your tongue weight should be 300-450 pounds.

I tow frequently with my 4.7 XK and my trailer is approximately 5k pounds, and just about equally as non-aerodynamic with the hardtop. I've towed it 700+ miles from West Palm Beach to Raleigh once. And frequently 130+ from Raleigh to Morehead City or Southport.

20' Shamrock I currently own. I average 9-10 MPG (actually the computer is/was pretty accurate) hauling this boat down the interstate at about 65 MPH.

22' Mako on the stoutest single axle trailer I've ever seen. No longer own that one.

abajoczky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Chirpz

2007 WK 

These Jeeps seem great for towing. I've towed about 20,000 miles now with my CRD.

Here is a scary video that may change your mind about towing so fast. 55 is top recommended speed. This guy was going way slower.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
These Jeeps seem great for towing. I've towed about 20,000 miles now with my CRD.

Here is a scary video that may change your mind about towing so fast. 55 is top recommended speed. This guy was going way slower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI
Had that not been a dually I almost guarantee it would've rolled the truck as well.

I think those campers tend to sway a lot more than any flatbed or utility trailers. The weight distribution and center of gravity is always suspect to me because they ride so high and the axles are typically more narrow or at least the same width as the load.

Scary stuff indeed.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #30
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Check out the sway on this speeding Uhaul Utility trailer.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.