Intro/ towing with WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Intro/ towing with WK

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Maxim_X
2010 WK 

Intro/ towing with WK

Updated 11/25/13

Hey everyone. My name is JC from Southeast Mass. I recently purchased a 2010 GC Limited 34k with a Hemi and all the goodies. My primary use for the jeep is as a second vehicle, for long road trips and a a tow rig. I tow a 6x10 enclosed all aluminum trailer with 2 motorcycles, gear, and all that jazz. A very heavy estimate is around 3000lbs. I know it's fairly light, but, aerodynamic drag on the highway is considerable. I was pulling it around with a 2003 BMX x5 6cylinder. It was good for everything but the highway. It would never stay in 1 gear and I'm hoping the WK will be able to hold a high gear and tow.

Anyway, I've been lurking around the sight and I have seen some recommendations, but nothing very specific. It seems there is a way to increase line pressure and tune the transmission. If anyone would car to elaborate that would be great. Also, if anyone tows similar and the jeep does fine I would love to hear it. I will be towing to virginia, ohio, new york etc. SO if there is anything that I can do to make the truck more reliable after hours of highway pulling I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Maxim_X; 11-25-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Maxim_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
LouC
2007 WK 

Your WK will tow that just fine. If you tow in the mountains or at high speeds you might want electric brakes on the trailer. I towed a similar trailer for my son's Boy Scout troop last year and the WK Hemi barely felt it back there and that trailer did not have brakes. I don't know how much it weighed but it was packed to the gills with Scout stuff. The only issue I have found with towing with WK and this is common to other Grand Cherokees is that the rear suspension is very soft and the tongue weight can cause a far amount of sag. If you tow a lot then I'd get a set of Firestone air bags for the rear coils.
trailer.jpg  
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Maxim_X
2010 WK 

Yeah! That looks just like what I have. Thanks for the response. I'll look into some airbags for the rear.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
LouC
2007 WK 

BTW depending on how high the hitch is off the ground for the trailer, you need a pretty substantial drop on the hitch for it to tow level. The top of the receiver opening on the WK is 21 1/2" off the ground, depending on how you measure it and this trailer's hitch was about 12-13" from the ground. I had to use an 8" drop to get it level. The receiver height on my WK is about 3 1/2" higher than on my ZJ.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_X View Post
Hey everyone. My name is JC from Southeast Mass. I recently purchased a 2010 GC Limited 34k with a Hemi and all the goodies. My primary use for the jeep is as a second vehicle, for long road trips and a a tow rig. I tow a 6x10 enclosed all aluminum trailer with 2 motorcycles, gear, and all that jazz. A very heavy estimate is around 3000lbs. I know it's fairly light, but, aerodynamic drag on the highway is considerable. I was pulling it around with a 2003 BMX x5 6cylinder. It was good for everything but the highway. It would never stay in 1 gear and I'm hoping the WK will be able to hold a high gear and tow.

Anyway, I've been lurking around the sight and I have seen some recommendations, but nothing very specific. It seems there is a way to increase line pressure and tune the transmission. If anyone would car to elaborate that would be great. Also, if anyone tows similar and the jeep does fine I would love to hear it. I will be towing to virginia, ohio, new york etc. SO if there is anything that I can do to make the truck more reliable after hours of highway pulling I'd love to hear it.
My 4.7 pulls my XJ on a dolly just fine. I definitely have to use a drop hitch (6" - probably should go to 8") as my factory hitch is 25.75" ground to center. Eventually, I'm planning on getting a tandem axle trailer to pull the XJ on. This combo will weigh substantially more than a 3K# set-up and I have confidence the WK will get the job done. May want to consider trailer brakes and a brake controller.

Even if the load you're pulling isn't that heavy - it could be; and the wear and tear on your Jeep's brakes would be reduced on the whole regardless.
Also, something like a Superchip, for example, will have a tow tune that will adjust your tranny shift points for towing.

Airbags are a good idea but they will not solve any issues with weight distribution on your tow rig should your load and tongue weight increase. So, might also look into a weight distribution hitch.

Overall, it sounds like your HEMI should do well with the set-up you describe.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

Its true that air bags can't provide weight distribution but they work well for lighter tongue weights as you would have on a trailer that size.

A balanced trailer with most of the weight forward of the axle, a proper drop/rise hitch so it tows level and good trailer brakes will make towing safer and much less stressful.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Its true that air bags can't provide weight distribution but they work well for lighter tongue weights as you would have on a trailer that size.

A balanced trailer with most of the weight forward of the axle, a proper drop/rise hitch so it tows level and good trailer brakes will make towing safer and much less stressful.
^^^ Agreed.

BTW - bit of a thread jack here but LouC, what's the Maltese on the trailer?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

Logo for a local FD that sponsors the troop.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Logo for a local FD that sponsors the troop.
Gotcha - always cool to see FD community involvement.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Drewd

Best thing to make it more reliable for towing is to trade it in for a CRD WK. Just finished an 800 mile road trip towing my 28' 9" travel trailer thru some gnarly mountain passes and the only time I had a problem was during a freak storm which had 60mph gusts (cross winds)....ended up pulling over because the rain was so bad that I couldn't see anything. Gusts were bad but slowing down to 40mph did the trick but that darn visbility got to me. Loved the fact that I was able to maintain 45mph (speed limit) up Wolf Creek Pass. Could have easily gone faster but as a rule of thumb, I do not exceed 3/4 throttle when towing.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Cherokee30D
2007 WK 

Tow Hitches

Speaking of Towing. First up, I can highly recommend the CRD for towing. The low down torque and economy is awesome.
I am interested to see photos of others tow hitches. I hunted high & low to find a hitch that was not only the right height (420mm to top of tongue) but was guaranteed to tow 3.5 Ton. Ended up with a Haymen Reece hitch that my wife has nicknamed 'The boat motor'.

Cheers, Craig
Cherokee30D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Maxim_X
2010 WK 

Thanks for all the responses! As far as tongue weight currently, I can lift it off the ground loaded with 1 bike. I haven't tried with 2, chances at I could still lift it. It must be under 300lbs. The bikes are under 400lbs and the trailer is only 800. Tools and accessories are under 500. So realistically I'm closer to 2000lbs. Thanks for the tips on the hitch. I only have a 3" drop hitch. I haven't even hooked the trailer up yet so it definitely something I will do today to see how level it is.

A far as a CRD trade. That's not in the cards. I understand its quite a setup for towing, but, availability vs. cost vs reliability. I figured I would be as good or better off with the hemi. From what I can tell there are as much or more problems with the CRD than the hemi. When I have an issue in middle of east cutty nowhere Virginia, it's more likely ill be able to find a part for the gas motor than the deisel. It's one of the reasons I chose the jeep over something like a V8 x5 or rangerover.

How complicated are the air spring installs? Do you have to remove the spring or can you slip it in between the coils?
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
LouC
2007 WK 

What I would do is level the trailer and then measure from the bottom edge of the coupler to the ground. Then measure from the top of the opening in the receiver on your WK to the ground. The difference is about what the drop of the hitch needs to be. The top of the opening of the receiver on my WK was about 21" above the ground and the hitch height of the scout trailer was about 13" so that gave me an 8" drop for it to be level. I think you're going to need more than 3" for sure. My boat trailer has a higher hitch than this scout trailer did and it tows level with a 4". I have a 2", 4", 6" and 8" drop hitches. You can just get an adjustable one which might be more convenient but get a good one that does not rattle.
As far as towing with WK Hemi vs Diesel, well, unless you are right at the limit and tow in the mountains, the Hemi pulls like a freight train. I tow an '88 Four Winns 21' bowrider that is probably a bit over 4,000 and it hardly notices it back there. My neighborhood has many steep hills and I have had no issues pulling the boat up steep hills. I would not even think of trading for a diesel unless I drove a lot more than I do. Love the Hemi and Chrysler electronic 5 speed. Light years ahead of the old stuff.

Air bag install, I have not done it on my WK yet but I did put them in my ZJ and it was pretty easy. Running the air lines is the hardest part. I did remove the springs on the ZJ but that was easy too.

Your tongue weight sounds OK but measure it to be sure. Even with a light trailer your tongue weight has to be right or it can sway. Too little tongue weight, too high hitch in front and underinflated tires can make it sway. Tongue weight should be between 5-10% of the total weight of the trailer. If its 2000 lbs then 175-200 is OK.

As an example, I would up towing the trailer above because the assistant scoutmaster's Suburban's trans cooler started leaking. I followed them on the way to scout camp and I noticed the trailer was definitely swaying, not uncontrollable but still I did not like what I saw. Their hitch was too high in front and the tire press was low. For the return trip, I got the tire press right and had the right drop and it towed perfect at highway speeds, despite the fact that my WK is much shorter than the Suburban.
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

FYI The 545rfe (used in the jeep) is used in the HD rams along with the non-mds Hemi. With a curb weight of around 8k a HD ram will tow 10k plus when equipped with the Hemi, 3:73 gear and 545rfe. There is a reason why they used the 545rfe and Hemi in the HD rams, tried and true reliability.

You will be fine, load your trailer right and get trailer brakes.
10Xk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I don't have a picture of the ball mount on the Jeep, but this is all I could find when I needed a longer drop after going from a Durango to my Grand Cherokee.

Your setup might be a little lighter than my beast which is rated for twice the toungue weight and trailer weight than the Jeep is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
Speaking of Towing. First up, I can highly recommend the CRD for towing. The low down torque and economy is awesome.
I am interested to see photos of others tow hitches. I hunted high & low to find a hitch that was not only the right height (420mm to top of tongue) but was guaranteed to tow 3.5 Ton. Ended up with a Haymen Reece hitch that my wife has nicknamed 'The boat motor'.

Cheers, Craig
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.